Vibration isolation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am not pleased with your decision and respectfully request that you reconsider. There is value in the exchange of differing views. This will be a very dull place if the criteria for membership is conformity to a narrow perspective. The high end is a quest not a destination.

Hi Bill

Indeed not an easy decision however there are TOS that all members agree to follow. I can say that the number of reported posts about said member have become an almost daily event. This is also something not new but has been a constant problem for many years.

We all respect differing opinions however I am not going to discuss anything further on open forum but would be happy to answer any of your questions off line

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I am not pleased with your decision and respectfully request that you reconsider. There is value in the exchange of differing views. This will be a very dull place if the criteria for membership is conformity to a narrow perspective. The high end is a quest not a destination.

Hello Bill and good afternoon to you. Please let me remind you of one of the Terms of Service this forum has;

8. Your forum administrators rule with a gentle hand. But should the occasion arise where we must take immediate and strong action, we will do so. In that case, our decisions are not subject to debate.

While we respect your thoughts, this is not open for public debate from yourself or anybody else.

Tom

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thank you Steve and IMHO. a positive move that respects and reinforces the spirit and intent of WBF.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will respect the decisions taken by the Administrators/Moderators.

First, the Administrators are paying for this site and spending their time to manage it. I consider myself a guest on their Forum and am happy to both enjoy the freedoms and abide by the parameters they provide me to participate.

Second, I equally respect that not everyone is going to be happy...but someone has to take a stand or (as we have witnessed on various occasions here and elsewhere, sometimes with a measure of incredulity) things can devolve into madness...and the Moderators are there for that reason.

Play on...

...so as for Vibration isolation, I will say as I have continued to hone and hone, I am finding that there is just a touch of upper bass shimmer that is still there. In away, its quite nice to have cut thru so much fuzz thanks to the virtues of isolation...to be down this bit. (I am sure if i ever get rid of it...there will be some other imperfections I discover!)

I suspect it is a combination of placement and [maybe] a small part of the cabinetry not being as inert as its newer brethren. Will try to move these beasts.

But it also might be the fact that the wall behind the speakers is not totally solid...and I think vibrates/sings along a bit. Any recommendations for isolating/lowering vibration of a wall?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) But it also might be the fact that the wall behind the speakers is not totally solid...and I think vibrates/sings along a bit. Any recommendations for isolating/lowering vibration of a wall?

Lloyd,

Please remember that a vibrating wall can absorb sound. :) If it does not rattle due to poor building or intrinsic resonances I would not be worried with it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,

Please remember that a vibrating wall can absorb sound. :) If it does not rattle due to poor building or intrinsic resonances I would not be worried with it.

Thanks, Micro. I will see if moving the speakers just a little helps...and also still working on this custom bass cabinet damping...there is just not much space back there. Whereas, the Entreq damping for the upper modules works very well so far.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
OK gents

I have finally come to the conclusion that enough is enough and to Mike Lavigne I am hoping that with this move and others you will not only see but agree with the direction WBF is going

He's banned permanently and will not be back

thank you Steve.

I don't mean to bring this subject back up this morning, but I was busy all day yesterday and so could not respond until now. and since you have singled me out I felt I needed to at least respond to that.

i like the healthy balance of WBF, as I've said in other comments I've made, even though it's not always as 'comfortable' as it could be. 'comfortable' is likely overrated.

it's up to the mods to make decisions like this. and they made this one. i think for the betterment of the forum as a place to hang and enjoy.

not intending to spur further discussions i'll leave it at that.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
LL21;286315 But it also might be the fact that the wall behind the speakers is not totally solid...and I think vibrates/sings along a bit. Any recommendations for isolating/lowering vibration of a wall?[/QUOTE said:
If space allows, that can be an excellent place to put shelving full of LPs. They can add a nice amount of mass and are also effective as diffusers :) Otherwise you have quite a task to add mass to the wall such that it does not talk back.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would encourage more of you to look at the Shun Mook Giant diamond resonators. I think the Mook guys make a mistake trying to sell it with mystic, that discourages some from exploring them. I sold my Stillpoints off on listening to these, and know another person in London with an SRA rack who has bought these recently (I haven't heard the difference yet). Another person I checked with mentioned he prefers Vibraplanes below turntables and the Mooks below the other components.

The Stillpoints and HRS have much less effect than the Mooks, and I don't like what they do as much. Have had no exposure to Vibraplanes, SRA and the likes, and the only exposure to Synergistic's Tranquility Base was in Munich and wasn't as effective (though I liked their other products like HFT, ECT, etc).

esldude

OK gents

I have finally come to the conclusion that enough is enough and to Mike Lavigne I am hoping that with this move and others you will not only see but agree with the direction WBF is going

He's banned permanently and will not be back

I do see the direction. I do not agree. I, like the banned Ethan, fail to see how his postings differed from others not banned other than what his views were and that they disagreed with the mainstream of posters (and apparently moderators).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, let me clarify a bit. What members see on this board is NOT the entire picture. There are discussions amongst the management team, reported posts, complaints, deleted posts/comments and more that the membership at large are not nor will not be privy too. A decision has been made and the team will be sticking to our decision. End of story and this is not open to public debate. If it does come to that point, there will be more administrative action taken and the members that choose to violate the TOS by debating a management decision will not like the end result.

With that said, lets get back to the thread topic.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing