Valin, Mr. DSP

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
<snip>
Since HP left the picture (and I mean the real and original HP) reviews don't help me all that much. I still like reading about the latest stuff but for entertainment rather than guidance.

Same here. The man could articulate what he heard. One additional note. HP was one of the first to "introduce" to the audiophile community the works of Floyd E. Toole. Floyd worked with him with improving his rooms acoustics. The man for a good while was the voice of the Industry. Too bad he got booted out of his creation. Now TAS is a complete joke, a faint echo of hits former grander self.

Back to Valin.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Same here. The man could articulate what he heard. One additional note. HP was one of the first to "introduce" to the audiophile community the works of Floyd E. Toole. Floyd worked with him with improving his rooms acoustics. The man for a good while was the voice of the Industry. Too bad he got booted out of his creation. Now TAS is a complete joke, a faint echo of hits former grander self.

Back to Valin.

YUP.

He was definitely the real deal and a true professional listener. His creation was so respected because he said it the way he believed it not dictated by the manufacturers. I definitely miss his reviews.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have to disagree with some of the esteemed members here. Valin is one of the best audio writers of his generation and deserves kudos to attempt to review a dsp speaker. I have not caught up on my audio reading yet, and have not read this article, so I will reserve the final judgment.

Valin’s major fault has been that while working for the Absolute Sound he has changed the mission of that magazine from Harry Pearson’s test of how real and emotionally moving the music sounds through that piece of gear to how much analytical detail the piece of gear conveys. He calls it “transparency to sources” gear, but if you are a music lover with a large collection of material without concern about audiophile grade quality of recording, and you pop that non-forgiving gear Valin worships into your system, you will quit the high end audio hobby.

This, of course, was exemplified by catching the Magico Derangement Syndrome over the Q series (which does not belong in the Absolute Sound!!!). Every other sentence out of his mouth was “Ooohh Magico!)

(Let’s define the magico derangement syndrome before people get too excited: acute set of overzealous excitement in otherwise healthy, normal people at the mention of magico products. This state has been primarily epidemic in members of audio media, who are constant gear swappers and analytic listeners waiting to hear some new detail on the recording. In the past it has struck people with compromised intellectual immune systems, and but has recently spread to really smart people who are evangelizing the Magico product as the best design ever without considering the merit of the marketing myths being propagated, others who have different tastes, preferences for other designs, and references for what music sounds like.

JUST KIDDING, MAGICO FANS!!!

There’ s no point about arguing about tastes! Kidding aside, you have a system that you are very proud of and enjoy. It's a true gift! Go and enjoy it!

But I do have to admit I always get a great belly laugh based on your reaction!)

Another major flaw that Valin has, and I very strongly agree with Garth’s post above is that Valin doesn’t know what bass is. It’s like he doesn’t care about any registers below 150 Hz. A HUGE blind spot.

Despite the flaws, Valin is still sought out by audio companies who are looking to build their brands and to bring prestige to their brands. (Other than Fremer, no one else really gets the same respect. ) After all, what is a better way to build your brand other than getting it Valin or Fremer. What if YG was the lucky man instead of the Wolfster? Imagine if the popularity of those 2 brands were reversed….
Just recently, the Wolfster invited Valin – as the first reviewer in high end audio - to hear his new stratospherically priced horns. Now it’s probably safe to guess that the Wolfster does not hold humility as a virtue, yet he put his tail between his legs, swallowed his pride, and called Valin ahead of all other “Magico reviewers” that he has drumming up his brand in the media. And that’s after Valin dumped the Magico Q series for Estelon and Raidho… Now there are many companies that would never give Valin a piece of gear out of pride. I’m thinking CAT, VAC, Wilson, etc. Just imagine the value of the Audio Research brand if Valin was trusted by other tube companies to review their gear. What if he had VAC in his system and drummed it up all the time, while cutting down Audio Research’s sonic signature? With less and less established American companies unwilling to send him gear, it seems like the Europeans and Japanese are up for it. Some of those guys are clueless and others are desperate…

But anyway, I see Valin’s job as listening to as much different gear as possible- including DSP speakers - and letting his readers know if it sounds like real music. Although he has failed his readers in this, I am hopeful that he will think of his present legacy (the man who turned the Absolute Sound into the Analytic Sound) and return to Harry Pearson’s mission.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing