Valin, Mr. DSP

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
All sarcasm aside. Mr. Valin from the Absolute Sound has come full circle now. In the October 2013 review of the Raidho c4.1 he said "DSP can NEVER work."

I just received my last edition of of the AS magazine (they should pay me to take it). Valin's latest crush is the Avantgarde zero 1. He loves it. Of course, it's a fully digital speaker. That is, there are no analog crossovers. The crossovers are a combo of 1795 burr brown after 66 bit FIR linear phase crossover DSP.

For me, I am happy Valin is willing to review product like this. I am not a horn fan but I bet these new digitally enhanced horns are tops.

Michael.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Which issue is this? The last one I see anywhere is #244?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't know what JV's tastes are exactly but I remember walking away very impressed way back at CES '08 with Emerald Physics's very first loudspeaker also a horn/DSP design. IIRC the source was a ModWright modded unit and the DXO was a modded Bheringer. I know I sound like a broken record by now but IMHO implementation is key. DSP can be a very powerful tool in the right hands. While I have chosen to go an all analog signal path after the source and feel I need not go DSP, I fully respect those that have elected to go the other route. It can work and it can work damn well.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
JV's tastes seem to float with the wind, so who knows what they really are.

isn't this just an active speaker? it would seem very different from taking an analog xover speaker and adding dsp to it.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Having subscribed to TAS for numerous years and reading many of his reviews, he really strikes me as a "flavor of the month" type person.

Read one of his reviews and substitute the name of his next "gusher" review be it speakers, preamps, amplifiers, etc. All reads about the same.

Sounds like he had a falling out with Magico and now Raihdo is the new "emperor" who has provided him with (I speculate) a long term loaner.

No cred with me anymore.

Still a "MF" fan even though I'm not into analogue.

GG

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have met Valin a few times he has a good ear he knows his stuff. You are right IMO a bit of a flavour of the month kind a guy. He likes what he likes on some of his gear I agree on others I do not. (...)

-1!

Besides he is a good writer and manages to explain what he hears pretty well. His reviews are really enjoyable, with many references to recordings. What else do we need in an high-end reviewer?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Someone who knows what they are talking about would be a good start.

Fortunately, IMHO JV knew the important aspects about the Raidho c4.1 that would interest his readers. YMMV.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Valin is consistent about one thing: changing speakers like I change underwear. It's not so much that he changes speakers so frequently (speaker of the nano-second) but that the speakers that he switches from/to are many times so incredibly different in their sonic signature. So how can the Magico be the speaker of all time but them a DSP horn speaker replaces it?? They could not sound more different!

He lost credibility with me (not that anyone cares) a LONG LONG time ago!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Seems everybody likes to hate JV, until he gives a glowing review of the speakers they own. :p

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I freely admit to purchasing my Kharma Exquisite Reference 1D speakers in 2001 pretty much 100% as a result of JV's review (I nor anyone I knew at the time had even heard a Khrama speaker)......and they not only delivered beyond 100% of the performance he described (paraphrasing.....not the best at anything, but maybe second best at everything)......but when they were not able to deliver bass in my new dedicated room I made a $6k profit on them 4 years later.

my wife loved those speakers as 'art' and still laments their passing.

bravo and thanks JV!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So what are we doing here starting a poll on do you like Valin Yes or No.

If it is his process of how he reviews well it is his to due his way.

If you like his writing read it if you do not like it then read it and bitch or do not read it.

I still say he has a good ear and is a good writer a little long winded but a good writer if you can do better please do.

+1!

I am astonished no one is complaining his reviews do not show measurements ... :)

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
+1!

I am astonished no one is complaining his reviews do not show measurements ... :)

Mr. Valin, as a member of the old school Absolute Sound, is, as is Harry Pearson, a subjective reviewer. He writes about what he hears, not how something measures. Like him or not, he writes about what he is hearing. Like Mike L., I too got my first real feel for Kharma loudspeakers when JV had a pair of champagne gold 3.2 in his room for a number of years. He and Lloyd Walker were the first two people that I knew of that listened to Kharma loudspeakers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing