Upgrade from Zu Omen Def to Devore Gibbon X

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
Ive enjoyed my Zu Omen Defs Mk IIs with the Radian Tweeter. It is an amazing speaker.

After thousands of dollars trying to get my old Audio Research VT100 repaired with no success, I gave up on tube amplifiers temporarily. I have tubes everywhere else, but replacing 16 tubes on the VT100 was way too much for my stomach. I had to do it twice on my last bout of retubing, and had to give up on it. The amp was no longer reliably reparable.

i switched to a Pass Labs X150.8 for the moment. Its sounds great, but it doesnt give me the midrange I want at low levels. I wake up to music and have to play at low levels for my marriage.

i decided to try another speaker. My requirements were easy to drive, great midrange, good low level playback and can handle power when I want it. It arrived yesterday. I now have the Gibbon X from Devore.

In the early part of a 4 hour listening session, I was wondering why the Devore cost $ 10,000 more than the Zu’s. Its good, but only marginally so.

I shouldve known better to judge it so early. I personally believe the mind dictates a large part of what we hear. And having learned to listen to my Zu’s for 3 years, Im get gonna have to give the Devores some time so I can learn to listen to what it does.

Late last night, it all clicked. The midrange is sweet and floats in the air. The bass is deep. You can say its a bit lean mid bass, but the power is there in the low end. The highs arent as delicate and as refined as the Zu’s 2 inch coiled Radian tweeters, which is surprising. But its not bad, just different.

Its the next morning after it all clicked and Im still liking it. Actually getting a better appreciation of what it does in my system.

A few notes, I was afraid the Devore would be too sensitive at 91 db. John Devore makes a big deal about his sensitivity numbers being accurate. Ive always had some doubt to the accuracy of Zu 102db claim on the Omen Defs. Well the Defs did prove to be much more sensitive, and I didnt have a problem with too much gain with the Gibbons.

A few reviewers cautioned that placement of the GX is tricky and is room nit picky. This has not been my experience. It took three songs and I already got them to disappear. I’ll continue to work on it, but right now its already excellent.

Also concerned it may not produce as much slam as the Zu’s. Its slams different, but plenty.

Feeling good about the purchase.

1A5CA22B-C4BE-49E2-AB94-E17B5DEAE148.jpeg

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The devore orangutans are quite superior to the older Zus. No idea about the gibbons

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Great system! You should think about trying one of the Allnic push/pull amps on your Devores, they love tubes!

Reactions: Peguinpower

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
I’ll be acquiring a new tube amp next. I will be staying away from amps older that 20 years old. I wasted so much money on my old AR its ridiculous. I may try an Allnic, or maybe an Audion. Im open and it will be a few months before I can actually spin up the cash. For now, the Pass Labs amp meets my needs.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
great speakers. @Pallen and I ran them successfully with Music First preamp and ARC Ref 75SE amp. Much simpler amp than your old VT100 (4 output tubes). they cost around $5k used, a year or two old.

the key with this speaker is getting an amp that is snappy in the bass with a little negative feedback (not Pass ime)

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
Ive owned an AR 75SE. I liked my VT100 better and was challenged to do anything the Pass Amp couldnt do with my Zu speakers. I sold the 75. If I am not mistaken, the X150.8 has a little feedback, and per my experience over the last year, delivers bass for easy nominal loads. It acts like a tube amp in many ways. It will not dip into 2 ohms with any confidence. The GX at its lowest is 7.3 ohms.

Im hoping to acquire a tube amp again, but taking my time. Its gotta be a good one. I bought the 75SE on a whim, it was good, but nothing stellar.

I almost acquired the Allnic A-600 45 wpc 300B tube amp. Then got wind that it chews up 300b tubes. That promptly chased me away.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I came from Zu Definition IVs so well aware of Zu amp synergy- in fact, tried around 15 amps of all topologies on them. You can do better than Pass (FirstWatt SIT-1 however sounded quite good on them). Valvet monos for example were quite nice and affordable - I ultimately used the Dart integrated on them most. But Zu excels with amps that have no negative feedback, the opposite of the Devore. I recently tried the XA25 on my friend's Defs and it was uninspiring. Also owned the Pass X350.8, but on sealed box speakers, and the bass was powerful but somewhat rotund.

What surprised me on Devore O96 at a local store was SimAudio. Really good combo even just the integrated.

FWIW, John Devore recommends ARC and VTL EL34 monos, but that brand isn't my cup of tea. You might give him a ring, he's very approachable.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Ive enjoyed my Zu Omen Defs Mk IIs with the Radian Tweeter. It is an amazing speaker.

After thousands of dollars trying to get my old Audio Research VT100 repaired with no success, I gave up on tube amplifiers temporarily. I have tubes everywhere else, but replacing 16 tubes on the VT100 was way too much for my stomach. I had to do it twice on my last bout of retubing, and had to give up on it. The amp was no longer reliably reparable.

i switched to a Pass Labs X150.8 for the moment. Its sounds great, but it doesnt give me the midrange I want at low levels. I wake up to music and have to play at low levels for my marriage.

i decided to try another speaker. My requirements were easy to drive, great midrange, good low level playback and can handle power when I want it. It arrived yesterday. I now have the Gibbon X from Devore.

In the early part of a 4 hour listening session, I was wondering why the Devore cost $ 10,000 more than the Zu’s. Its good, but only marginally so.

I shouldve known better to judge it so early. I personally believe the mind dictates a large part of what we hear. And having learned to listen to my Zu’s for 3 years, Im get gonna have to give the Devores some time so I can learn to listen to what it does.

Late last night, it all clicked. The midrange is sweet and floats in the air. The bass is deep. You can say its a bit lean mid bass, but the power is there in the low end. The highs arent as delicate and as refined as the Zu’s 2 inch coiled Radian tweeters, which is surprising. But its not bad, just different.

Its the next morning after it all clicked and Im still liking it. Actually getting a better appreciation of what it does in my system.

A few notes, I was afraid the Devore would be too sensitive at 91 db. John Devore makes a big deal about his sensitivity numbers being accurate. Ive always had some doubt to the accuracy of Zu 102db claim on the Omen Defs. Well the Defs did prove to be much more sensitive, and I didnt have a problem with too much gain with the Gibbons.

A few reviewers cautioned that placement of the GX is tricky and is room nit picky. This has not been my experience. It took three songs and I already got them to disappear. I’ll continue to work on it, but right now its already excellent.

Also concerned it may not produce as much slam as the Zu’s. Its slams different, but plenty.

Feeling good about the purchase.

View attachment 80969
Very nice.

Pallen

Jun 25, 2018
"A few reviewers cautioned that placement of the GX is tricky and is room nit picky. This has not been my experience."
My experience too.

"I bought the 75SE on a whim, it was good, but nothing stellar."
I'm not sure what speakers you used with the REF 75SE, but it's a great match with the Gibbon X's. Here's the thing - the ARC 75SE is very sensitive to what it sits on. IME investing time and money on good isolation pays big dividends with this amp. I've listened to a number of other amps with the X's and ARC has been the one to beat to my ears.

Peguinpower

Jul 22, 2021
"A few reviewers cautioned that placement of the GX is tricky and is room nit picky. This has not been my experience."
My experience too.

"I bought the 75SE on a whim, it was good, but nothing stellar."
I'm not sure what speakers you used with the REF 75SE, but it's a great match with the Gibbon X's. Here's the thing - the ARC 75SE is very sensitive to what it sits on. IME investing time and money on good isolation pays big dividends with this amp. I've listened to a number of other amps with the X's and ARC has been the one to beat to my ears.
Thats good to hear. I had multiple amps at the time and it was a toss up between a Pass X150.8 and the AR VT75SE. I did not have the Reference version. That was on my old ZU’s. I opted to keep the solid state amp with a plan to get something like a high power SET or similar.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing