Upgrade to Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Last week I received my upgraded Vandersteen Model 7s and I couldn't be happier. I owned a pair of the original Model 7s along with the granite bases. In August the speakers were shipped to Hanford for the full upgrade to the XTRM. I am using the M7-HPA amps to drive them.

What is difference in the sound? Pretty much everything. When I got the granite bases a couple years ago the biggest difference was the tightening of the bass. This new upgrade to the side-firing subwoofer drivers has taken that to a whole new level. The low bass is still perfect and the upper low bass is even more powerful.

Another major benefit to the side-firing drivers is in the midrange. The new orientation greatly reduces the cabinet reaction to the bass and this can be heard in the midrange. It sounds even cleaner than before with greater clarity and focus.

As great as the Model 7s sounded, this new speaker is on a whole different level.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Last week I received my upgraded Vandersteen Model 7s and I couldn't be happier. I owned a pair of the original Model 7s along with the granite bases. In August the speakers were shipped to Hanford for the full upgrade to the XTRM. I am using the M7-HPA amps to drive them.

What is difference in the sound? Pretty much everything. When I got the granite bases a couple years ago the biggest difference was the tightening of the bass. This new upgrade to the side-firing subwoofer drivers has taken that to a whole new level. The low bass is still perfect and the upper low bass is even more powerful.

Another major benefit to the side-firing drivers is in the midrange. The new orientation greatly reduces the cabinet reaction to the bass and this can be heard in the midrange. It sounds even cleaner than before with greater clarity and focus.

As great as the Model 7s sounded, this new speaker is on a whole different level.
Congrats.
I'm very happy for you.

Reactions: dminches

Backpacker

Jul 12, 2020
Fantastic! Great th hear that about the side woofers.

I wish my wife would tolerate the looks. But she doesn’t mind my other upgrades so there is that….

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

Tomictime

May 30, 2020
Congrats ! i have the 7 mk 2 w 7 amps…..love them….

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Happy for You D.!! Enjoy them in good health!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing