Two listeners

stnsw

Apr 5, 2021
Any advice for set-up for two people listening would be most welcome. Apologies if this is already in a thread.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Another less socially acceptable but more optimized for sound would be having two single seats one in front of the other right in the center of the speaker setup.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I actually have two recliners. One in the sweet spot. I either offer the best to my guest, or I shift them so the sweet spot is shared. One behind the other interferes for the person behind. Different elevations can sort of work, but not well with speakers like Wilsons which are tuned for ear height.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
A “love seat” in the sweet spot.
I have a two person love seat with one of the seats located in the prime position. The other is considered a secondary position, but given how well Von Schweikerts play even slightly off axis it doesn’t hurt that position too much. Besides, when my wife wants the best seat, I slide over to other one. :D I’m lucky to have an almost-audiophile wife.

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
Sumiko Masterset (do a search) claims to lead to a wide sweet spot or even a walk around image. It helps to use something that slides under the speakers as you’re moving the a couple of mm at a time towards the end, I have Herbie’s small gliders and a tiled floor. I’ve almost got a stable soundstage across two adjacent recliners with my NBLs but I’ve done better in the past with a pair of Thiels.

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
Another way to do it is with omnis if you have the width to keep them at leat a metre from the side walls. Devels, MBLs and Avantages Audio Césars have all pulled this trick in my hearing but it’s a different presentation.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I actually have two recliners. One in the sweet spot. I either offer the best to my guest, or I shift them so the sweet spot is shared. One behind the other interferes for the person behind. Different elevations can sort of work, but not well with speakers like Wilsons which are tuned for ear height.
I have a three person sofa in the listening positions. With the DHDI ZR Acoustics panels on front and rear walls the "sweet spot" is the full width of the room.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I have a three person sofa in the listening positions. With the DHDI ZR Acoustics panels on front and rear walls the "sweet spot" is the full width of the room.
There are sweet spots, and there are SWEET SPOTS. But the truth is that a great system will do exactly as yours does. If you love music, you may be pleased anywhere in the room.

stnsw

Apr 5, 2021
Thank you. It is very helpful. I have ordered some Herbie's gliders so that we can fiddle with speaker position. The speakers are Sonus Faber Serafino's, which have spikes on top of very fiddly little metal circles that instantly come off. This is on thin carpet on top of an uneven floor.

We do have over a meter between the wall and the speaker. We have experimented a few times in the past, but being old and (me) not very mobile, dealing with speakers and the furniture is challenging. There is also a sub that we cannot really move. I was hoping for a simple minded suggestion as to where people have been most successful at pointing the speakers. I am going to try the Sumiko masters when the gliders come. I am in Australia so things take time. The music does sound very nice, even from the adjoining kitchen, but periodically it is nice to try for something.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing