Tweak . . . yourself!

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Good point. I have no issues with ear wax at all....never have. Does that mean I don't produce any?

No. Everyone produces it. If they did not, they would have serious problems with their external ear cavities and probably beyond as well. What your situation most likely means is that your body is doing the correct thing and it is always getting pushed out as it should rather than getting embedded deep in the canal and against the tympanic membrane. The "embedded" situation is more likely to happen to people who stuff ear plugs and other things into their ears so it is a more common situation in this day and age.

With me for example, I always have to be very vigilant as I wear Shure SE215 in ear monitors when I am using my racing simulator on a dedicated computer setup (since they weigh nothing, I don't "feel" them and they isolate the actual distracting noise from the computer itself). Plus, I wear musician's ear plugs when travelling around the city as they reduce my stress levels massively and are a bonus when an ambulance or Harley Davidson speeds along three metres away from the footpath I am walking on.

So I regularly clean my ears. But I also do syringe them every 4 months or so - but I use one of those syringes that disperses the water towards the canal walls rather than straight ahead and I'd advise anyone to use this type as they are virtually fool-proof - it is impossible to wedge this particular design in too far and it is impossible to directly spray the delicate parts with a damaging stream - rather the water mostly washes along rather than hits directly. I soften up the canal by soaking it with an ordinary wax remover first.

Bottom line is if you want a proper clean, leave it to a qualified doctor. If you want to do maintenance yourself, do not buy any syringe that only squirts water directly forward.

So this sort of one is usually OK:

http://www.cincottachemist.com.au/eyes-ears-medicines/ear-clear-ear-syringe

but I would never use something like this:

http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product.asp?id=63708

and this is what you leave the experts (doctor) to use:

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Beauty/Ear-Syringe-113-gm/0741655047827

PS: Ear syringe design has hardly changed over the ages. My grandfather ran a pharmacy after he arrived back from fighting in WWI (he was born in the late 1890s and retired in the early 1960s). He had an syringing "service" at his pharmacy and after retiring he gave the syringe to me. I remember asking him what it was (not sure I really wanted to know the answer back then since as a young kid I thought it was a massive injection needle!). But it hardly looks any different to that third one I linked to!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Although that the last one does squirt water directly forward :D

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Although that the last one does squirt water directly forward :D

Correct, which is why that type (which is the most effective when used properly) needs to be left to a qualified expert who is going to examine your ear canal before using it and can see exactly how it bends around (plus canal depth) and where the obstructions are. They can then appropriately use the device - something the home user cannot do as they simply can't see what they are doing, are not qualified in anatomy nor do they usually have an otoscope handy. That is why I was careful to make the distinction between what is appropriate for home use (the less effective but fool -proof type) versus the "professional" type.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No. Everyone produces it. If they did not, they would have serious problems with their external ear cavities and probably beyond as well. What your situation most likely means is that your body is doing the correct thing and it is always getting pushed out as it should rather than getting embedded deep in the canal and against the tympanic membrane. The "embedded" situation is more likely to happen to people who stuff ear plugs and other things into their ears so it is a more common situation in this day and age.

With me for example, I always have to be very vigilant as I wear Shure SE215 in ear monitors when I am using my racing simulator on a dedicated computer setup (since they weigh nothing, I don't "feel" them and they isolate the actual distracting noise from the computer itself). Plus, I wear musician's ear plugs when travelling around the city as they reduce my stress levels massively and are a bonus when an ambulance or Harley Davidson speeds along three metres away from the footpath I am walking on.

So I regularly clean my ears. But I also do syringe them every 4 months or so - but I use one of those syringes that disperses the water towards the canal walls rather than straight ahead and I'd advise anyone to use this type as they are virtually fool-proof - it is impossible to wedge this particular design in too far and it is impossible to directly spray the delicate parts with a damaging stream - rather the water mostly washes along rather than hits directly. I soften up the canal by soaking it with an ordinary wax remover first.

Bottom line is if you want a proper clean, leave it to a qualified doctor. If you want to do maintenance yourself, do not buy any syringe that only squirts water directly forward.

So this sort of one is usually OK:

http://www.cincottachemist.com.au/eyes-ears-medicines/ear-clear-ear-syringe

but I would never use something like this:

http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product.asp?id=63708

and this is what you leave the experts (doctor) to use:

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Beauty/Ear-Syringe-113-gm/0741655047827

PS: Ear syringe design has hardly changed over the ages. My grandfather ran a pharmacy after he arrived back from fighting in WWI (he was born in the late 1890s and retired in the early 1960s). He had an syringing "service" at his pharmacy and after retiring he gave the syringe to me. I remember asking him what it was (not sure I really wanted to know the answer back then since as a young kid I thought it was a massive injection needle!). But it hardly looks any different to that third one I linked to!

Thank you for that my good Sir! I'm not one for experimenting on my own when it comes to health, so I'll talk with my doctor and let him decide what needs or could be done (if anything).

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010
I'm another one with wax buildup issues, although it is only in my left ear. My right one seems to function normally.

My ENT doc recommended 4-5 drops of hydrogen peroxide in my ear every 1-2 weeks. It breaks up the wax clumps and allows the ear to push the wax out naturally. I've been doing that for moths now and seem to avoid buildup issues.

I won't listen to music for 2-3 days after getting a professional cleaning, however. Without any wax in my ears, high frequency sounds are literally painful. After 2-3 days things are back to normal, and listening can recommence.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My only angst with a ceruminolytic is that all too frequently the softened wax rather than being extruded runs down onto the tympanic membrane and covering it and thus decreasing auditory acuity which then requires thorough irrigation

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
My only angst with a ceruminolytic is that all too frequently the softened wax rather than being extruded runs down onto the tympanic membrane and covering it and thus decreasing auditory acuity which then requires thorough irrigation

I hate it when that happens. :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
For the last 35 years I have been doing with excellent results what everyone says not to do -- using Q-Tips in my ears every day after my morning shower. I do make sure no one will be walking into the bathroom when I do it since I don't need to be jostled when I have a Q-Tip a millimeter from my tympanic membrane!

My physicians have always looked into my ears, and if they haven't volunteered that my ears were spotless, I asked, and they always tell me they are extremely clean.

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010

Huh, I learned something new from googling this. However, I'll take a potential loss of auditory acuity over cerumen impaction. Without the hydrogen peroxide I would get a complete blockage about every six months.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For the last 35 years I have been doing with excellent results what everyone says not to do -- using Q-Tips in my ears every day after my morning shower. I do make sure no one will be walking into the bathroom when I do it since I don't need to be jostled when I have a Q-Tip a millimeter from my tympanic membrane!

My physicians have always looked into my ears, and if they haven't volunteered that my ears were spotless, I asked, and they always tell me they are extremely clean.

I do the exact same Gary, for the last forty years, and I can hear the music very well, and I am an excellent listener...I bet you are too. :b

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...My physicians have always looked into my ears, and if they haven't volunteered that my ears were spotless, I asked, and they always tell me they are extremely clean.
You don't want them really "spotless" or you are likely to get an infection of the ear canal (e.g., "swimmer's ear"); a little bit of cerumen here and there on the canal walls is ideal.

As far as a cerumenolytic, by far the best (and this is evidence-based, not opinion or sighted testing) is docusate (Colace); yes, the stool softener, but it is also sold in liquid form and is OTC.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The reality guys is this.....

The cerumen producing glands all lie in a very small circumference just inside the external auditory meatus. Hence the admonition re the use of Q tips inside the external auditory canal.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Some of you sure want to make this difficult, with DIY home remedies and chemicals and the like. Just spend ten minutes at your ear, nose and throat doctor, and you are done!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Some of you sure want to make this difficult, with DIY home remedies and chemicals and the like. Just spend ten minutes at your ear, nose and throat doctor, and you are done!
Did you expect anything less? This is how some "boogie". Every mole-hill is a potential mountain! :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron are you proposing a monthly ear cleaning visit with our doctor?

I am not proposing anything. I, myself, go every year or two.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
lol i like the sound of your world ron but shocking as it might seem to you most dont have the ear nose and throat doctor on speed dial! i would need a referal from my gp and he wont do that unless i had a serious condision. i wont even get a gp apointment for what your talking about. its a waste of their time!!

Eeesh. I see you are in the UK.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing