TV Will Be Apple's Undoing

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By HOLMAN W. JENKINS, JR...The Wall Street Journal

Apple had snafus under Steve Jobs—antenna-gate, MobileMe, the frequently obtuse Siri. Its latest snafu, a faulty maps application installed on the new version of the iPhone, isn't a testament to the inferiority of Apple's current management. The snafu will be easily rectified by, if nothing else, Google releasing and Apple approving a version of the Google Maps app for the iPhone 5.

For entirely different reasons, though, the map mess demonstrates why circumstances are turning against Apple's current business model. Simply, content is king again. However much it might benefit Apple's business model to force users to patronize its own maps app, the company won't get far in trying to deny them Google's far superior app. Apple for a while managed to tame the power of content and make it subservient, but that day is coming to an end.

Forget the maps farrago. Look at Apple's agony over the TV puzzle. Apple is frustrated because there is no solution to TV that will let Apple keep doing what it has been doing.

Like schnauzers overreacting to the postman's arrival, the tech press was in a tizzy a month ago on reports that Apple was talking to the cable industry about bringing cable's linear channel lineups to a future Apple device. But the technical feat is no technical feat. Time Warner and Cablevision managed to roll out iPad apps within days of the device's debut 2½ years ago.

These TV apps proved unsatisfactory not because of any lack of Apple magic, but because only certain channels were available, and because consumers were allowed only to watch in the home (the whole point of an iPad is its portability). Even so, the Hollywood studios that actually own the shows sued saying the apps violated their contract rights.

Apple's fans imagine the company can do for TV what it did for music: breaking up the existing distribution model. Forget about it. Television is about to demonstrate the inadequacy of Apple's own business model.

Video-content owners, including everyone from the TV networks and Hollywood and the NFL and Major League Baseball, aren't the music industry or even the book industry. Video-content owners aren't looking for a savior and ultimately won't be satisfied with anything less than an open ecosystem accessible by any device.

They'll have no choice: Content owners already see their business being upended by Netflix and Amazon Instant Video, with an approach adapted to digital ubiquity from the get-go. They also know, if they sit still, their current partners, the cable industry and its analogues, will simply take advantage, as satellite operator DISH is doing with its ad-skipping function that so infuriates the TV networks.

In such a world, Apple will have to change too. To maintain its position, the company will have to focus more on giving its devices superb access to content it doesn't control and hasn't approved.

Can Apple CEO Tim Cook and company make the turn? Two years ago, in a column on the Microsofting of Apple, we noted that a company preoccupied with products was in danger of becoming a company preoccupied with "strategy"—which we defined as zero-sum maneuvering versus hated rivals.

Yep. Apple's rejection of Google's superior maps is an obvious example, but it goes with the turf. Apple's spectacular success with devices naturally led to the temptation of a network-effects empire. To such empires, maps are just too important as a way to gather information about users and hit them with ads and e-commerce opportunities.

A similar miscalculation led Microsoft to treat Netscape as a mortal threat and into a self-defeating tussle with a reciprocally purblind Justice Department. The Web did indeed create enormous opportunities that were seized by companies other than Microsoft, but Microsoft is still around and doing fine.

Let it be said that some techies see evidence of a more rational impulse within Apple. They say Apple's browser and HTML5 support are conspicuously superior to Android's. Within Apple apparently there are teams committed to making sure Apple devices are competitive in the open-ecosystem world that is coming.

The real test will be for senior management. The time to worry will be if Apple's quixotic quest for TV leads it to block more realistic solutions that emerge on the open Internet. When Apple admits defeat about TV, that may be the best sign for the company's future.

On a final note, lagging investment in fixed broadband, rather than the failure of Steve Jobs to "solve" TV, is the real thing propping up the existing TV model.

Notice that virtually every effort to bring Americans superfast broadband so far has been married with TV: cable's bundled offers; AT&T's U-verse product; Verizon's FiOS fiber product. Even Google at the last minute discovered that it needs a TV offering to assure adequate take-up of the fiber it is rolling out in its Kansas City demonstration project.

As Google's late conversion mutely testifies, the uncertain economics of TV is why competitive fervor to bring us faster Internet has slowly leached out of the broadband sector. How TV content owners in the future will get paid is but the flip side of the question of how pipe providers will get paid.

These are our old friends, chicken and egg, but sooner or later the dilemma will work itself out. And when it does, expect the TV and broadband businesses both to reorganize themselves almost overnight.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Will the "arrogance" bolstered by the iPhone 5's release success blunt Apple's response to changing market conditions? Will Apple attempt a coup to control TV distribution?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.. Has all the earmarks of an old "cliffhanger" serial.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is a well written article. The movie and TV business for the most part is opaque to the rest of the world. Channels on cable for example get paid money for each subscriber by cable companies. But these are not straight payments. They are tied to many complex transactions that involve other things as some of these channels are owned by movie studios. Talking about ownership, Comcast bought Universal studios to better control distribution of their TV and movie programming.

We have to remember that Apple's mission is to devalue the content as to sell devices. The content is the razor and the device is razor blade. 50% margin on $400 iphone is a far more profitable model than selling songs to that same user with 10 cents or profits in each. It was thought that their charm would let them do the same to the movie/video companies. So far that has not happened and others like Netfllix have had a much more winning strategy here than Apple.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't know if TV will be Apple's undoing. That seems a bit dramatic, a bit like searching, stretching for an undoing. But Apple hasn't found the formula. I'm absolutely convinced that unbundling content is the future of TV, but I don't see Apple doing it. TV is all about the content. Networks, cable or otherwise, are in the way.

Tim

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Rather than TV business I wish that Apple and Canon should make an alliance and bring out DSLR with iOS capabilities.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hmm I do not know about that Emre,
next we will find Apple-Canon taking every other manufacturer to court for having a camera the same size or functionality (press button to take picture) :)

Sorry Apple's business strategy brings out the cynic in me :)
Cheers
Orb

Steve Williams

I love that idea. Taking photos of that quality and being able to send them someplace ! -- sweet !

I believe that at some point the cameras in our smartphones will be close to being that good, so much so that point and shoot and DSLR cameras could become obsolete other than for professional use

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I believe that at some point the cameras in our smartphones will be close to being that good, so much so that point and shoot and DSLR cameras could become obsolete other than for professional use

Sorry Steve, but no way :) No matter how good the sensors become, there is still the unbreakable law of physics - optics. Images taken by a smartphone look two dimensional compared to a good SLR. Also, larger sensors allow more light to be gathered, so even if sensor technology improves, larger sensors will always have the advantage.

audioguy, we already have that capability. Just buy a wifi enabled DSLR and tether it to your phone. Well actually, only the 6D has wifi built in (to my knowledge) but Sony, Nikon, and Canon offer wifi modules.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't know if TV will be Apple's undoing. That seems a bit dramatic, a bit like searching, stretching for an undoing. But Apple hasn't found the formula. I'm absolutely convinced that unbundling content is the future of TV, but I don't see Apple doing it. TV is all about the content. Networks, cable or otherwise, are in the way.

Tim

We aren't in the way. We are the source. It costs a heck of a lot more to produce a TV show than an album, even an inane reality show.

Steve Williams

Sorry Steve, but no way :) No matter how good the sensors become, there is still the unbreakable law of physics - optics. Images taken by a smartphone look two dimensional compared to a good SLR. Also, larger sensors allow more light to be gathered, so even if sensor technology improves, larger sensors will always have the advantage.

audioguy, we already have that capability. Just buy a wifi enabled DSLR and tether it to your phone. Well actually, only the 6D has wifi built in (to my knowledge) but Sony, Nikon, and Canon offer wifi modules.
Well Keith point and shoot cameras could become obsolete

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I'd agree with that, and its already kind of started. Go to an audio show, and discounting the photography buffs, most people are taking pics with their cellphones. Same at concerts or other live venues. Surely one reason is the convenience factor, but you know what....some of these cellphones take pretty nice shots to boot.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Keith, its not the same thing, I wanna have one stop solution. I think an iOS embedded DSLR is a perfect solution.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com

Some of them would, for sure - the low end P&S cameras could well be taken over by cellphones. But for me, there will always be a place for a high quality P&S camera when I don't feel like lugging my DSLR around. The market for the Canon GS series, and P&S with large format sensors like Sigma will not disappear :)

Emre, I can't think of anything more horrible than a DSLR with iOS built-in. It would probably have some kind of filter to stop you from taking pictures of topless women :p

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Only if the GPS in their implants say you can't.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
you can always jailbreak it.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Some of them would, for sure - the low end P&S cameras could well be taken over by cellphones

This has already happened, to wit there has been little change in the low end cameras for awhile. My iPhone 4S and 5 lack an optical zoom, but outside of that limitation, produce better pics than the low end cams of just a few years ago and maybe even now. Perversely, and it shows how out of touch the camera makers can be with their market, loss of the low-end has spurred them to all innovate and focus finally on higher end compacts -- there's been a renaissance the last few years in this space and a lot of market growth.

Nikon and another just released an Android based cam, so that's starting to happen too. It's a bit incredible and indicative of how cam manufacturers are stuck in old market models that cameras with easy connectivity are just starting to come out.

Back to the topic, I think it's way too strong to say TV will be Apple's undoing. How will it undo them? It's not exactly their only business :) The film/tv companies are horrified at what happened to the music industry (this explains the crap that is HDMI), so these are very tough waters for ANYONE to navigate. And the death knell for Apple has been rung repeatedly over the last several years -- see Michael Dell's comments about the Mac, a lot of the reaction to the first iPhone, etc.

Where I think it can go for Apple is what they are apparently pursuing with Time Warner Cable and perhaps some others -- a box that handles the TW feed and integrates it with other services, all with its own, and presumably superior, interface. This gets around much of the problem.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
you can always jailbreak it.

The phones or the implants? :p

Amir said that TV and Movies are opaque industries. If I may share the insider's view. It really isn't that complex. We just have to look at the revenue streams particularly the primary stream for a particular network or studio. For TV Networks, the primary stream is advertising revenue. Whether the show is produced in-house like news and public affairs or rights were bought (Think Seinfeld which was actually produced by a rival Network's subsidiary), the costs and profit are earned from ad revenue. The secondary streams are from syndication, sales and rental of DVDs, BDs, streaming, etc. The Network's line of defense is time. If a network allows simultaneous delivery, aka live, they kill the primary revenue stream. If the time shift is too close, they kill the revenue stream as well. These days time shifting of only a few hours is enough to keep people watching free TV or Cable but more importantly, time, also presents it's own problem, Piracy. If the lag is too long, pirates that operate on a large scale have enough time to beat the official releases to market and by this I refer to the physical media market.

Today, you can purchase some programs just hours after they've aired on both coasts. Even with lousy broadband like I have, Standard Definition is almost as quick as streaming. This is in the Apple Store mind you so I don't think it is killing them. So to recap, Networks are playing the time window between where their ad revenue can be had and pirates can record and upload.

Cable networks on the other hand have their primary revenue in subscriptions. The end user may feel he is getting the channels for free but the cost is part of his monthly bundle. They too play the time game and if you want to see an airing live......it's called Pay Per View. Big Bucks.

The question is then, how badly do you want to see the content NOW. You can watch it for free if it isn't purely PPV but you have to sit through the commercials. Over here, half way around the world, there's something called "Matched Airings". If a show is really popular local networks or cable channels pay the original content provider a higher fee for the rights to air. Still this is time shifted. It makes no sense to show a primetime US show here at 8am where the viewers are at or on the way to work. So it's shown at 8pm our time for example. Bottom line is we get to see it the same day and no longer have to wait weeks or months as was the case with syndication. We get to watch it even before P2P uploads and the time it would take to download the same. Everybody wins except the pirates.

So how about Movies? The Avengers is a good example. They opened here in South East Asia a week before they opened in the US. Why? To beat the pirates. Suddenly the fake DVD guys had less people to sell their copies to because the people, wanting to see the movie ASAP, had already seen it! They'd protected their primary revenue stream (ticket sales) globally using nothing but Father Time. Brilliant!

The only time Networks or Studios will ever give anybody the first look is if they become the primary revenue stream or ARE themselves the content distributor into the home or device. That will only happen when connectivity is at the same level as free TV or the box office in terms of revenue over a specific timeframe as is already the case with Apps and Games.

Hope this helps.

Steve Williams

My iPhone 4S and 5 lack an optical zoom

Bob

there is a terrific app at the App Store called Camera+ which has a zoom and can be used with your iphone. It also has filtering options for many special effects

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I'll check it out Steve. You can zoom with the native camera app btw, but this is a digital zoom of course.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing