Tubes vs. Solid State Amps

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Actually, the fact that nearly all transistor amps are push/pull is the main reason they are primarily generating odd order harmonics. Push/pull cancels even orders by design. Push/pull tube amps do so as well but there is more residual even order harmonics in most designs (tube matching issues??). Negative feedback tends to suppress all harmonics but it suppresses the low orders more and has the side effect of generating new, higher order harmonics. This can lead to a signal modulated "noise" floor that looks like noise but is really a myriad of distortion products. Being signal modulated and correlated it is not something one can "hear below" like one can with true noise.

The correct weighting of harmonics has been the subject of a number of papers over the decades and at least one thesis. One of the first serious attempts was a BBC engineer named D.E.L Shorter who though the weighting would be the square of the harmonic order but Cheever found that this didn't actually go far enough and that there is also an SPL dependency that needs to be accounted for.

Yet an SS/PP amplifier can do it all , bandwidth, drive , Low TIM/THD , et al , time you start focusing on those bad speakers and less so the Amp delivering the bad news..

Match load to any quality amplifier and targeted results will be met no matter type ..

Regards

Reactions: Lagonda

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yet an SS/PP amplifier can do it all , bandwidth, drive , Low TIM/THD , et al , time you start focusing on those bad speakers and less so the Amp delivering the bad news..

Match load to any quality amplifier and targeted results will be met no matter type ..

Regards
If this were true then there wouldn’t be this discussion in 2024.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Here is a graph of how my left channel ML2 measures from the manual. I figure I use a fraction of a watt with my 105 dB/16 ohm speakers at listening levels of around 70-80 dB with rare peaks into the 90s, so much less than 1% THD plus noise. I don't know about 2nd harmonic or if this graph is relevant to the discussion. Even at 5 watts (which I do not think I ever hit even when blasting at 100+dB), it is around 1% if I am reading this correctly.

View attachment 102808

I know this may not be accessible , but curious to know if this system has ever been tested to verify 105db ? For the record every 1watt RMS of operating power for listening requires 100-200 watts of peak power for unclipped DR..

Regards

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I know this may not be accessible , but curious to know if this system has ever been tested to verify 105db ? For the record every 1watt RMS of operating power for listening requires 100-200 watts of peak power for unclipped DR..

Regards
Based on what math? You are assuming unlimited dynamic range of recordings?

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
If this were true then there wouldn’t be this discussion in 2024.

Well not everyone has the same loudspeakers , music , ears, and imagination mate, the uncorrupted science and bench test measurements would agree thou ..

Regards

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Well not everyone has the same loudspeakers , music , ears, and imagination mate, the uncorrupted science and bench test measurements would agree thou ..

Regards
Read a bit more on psychoacoustics.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Regards
And which speakers would be considered bad or good?

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023

No mate actual measurements when using high DR recordings. Cordell even wrote about it and better actually measured a system at an CES event some years ago to prove his point for not under powering one’s system, a common trait among most audiophiles ..

Regards

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Regards

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No mate actual measurements when using high DR recordings. Cordell even wrote about it and better actually measured a system at an CES event some years ago to prove his point for not under powering one’s system, a common trait among most audiophiles ..

Regards
Link?

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023

An SS amplifier like a tooby amp does require the same rigorous matching of amp to load , yet most never do just throw any load at them then complain ..

Match a quality made SS to the load and see the difference. A suggested good rule of thumb when doing so is max power needed for your listening requirements should never exceed 33% of rated power.

Regards

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Regards
So if I get 100dB for 1 watt then he says I need at least 100 watts for the full dynamic range? At what SPL level do you listen? Since I listen around 80 dB average , I need about 50mW for my speakers and peaks to 100 dB around 1 watt. So, I guess it’s good I have the right speakers and amps to handle those pesky peaks.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
So if I get 100dB for 1 watt then he says I need at least 100 watts for the full dynamic range? At what SPL level do you listen? Since I listen around 80 dB average , I need about 50mW for my speakers and peaks to 100 dB around 1 watt. So, I guess it’s good I have the right speakers and amps to handle those pesky peaks.

False hypotheticals aside , Yes ..!

Seeing most are under powering ( note: not saying you are ) while sipping red wine , the clipping Characteristics is what is being favored, you wont find much debate on toobs beating SS here by a longshot ..

Ohhh please to include absorption losses when doing power calculations , ohhh last but not least as a man of science and record insert your scope during one of your listening sessions ala Cordell ..

Report ..!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
An SS amplifier like a tooby amp does require the same rigorous matching of amp to load , yet most never do just throw any load at them then complain ..

Match a quality made SS to the load and see the difference. A suggested good rule of thumb when doing so is max power needed for your listening requirements should never exceed 33% of rated power.

Regards
So, studies that show THD, IMD don’t correlate with listener preference don’t register with you, just power match and perfect sound forever, right?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
False hypotheticals aside , Yes ..!

Seeing most are under powering while sipping red wine , the clipping Characteristics is what is being favored, you wont find much debate on toobs beating SS here by a longshot ..
Those characteristic differences hold up well below clipping… I am never listening at levels that cause clipping.

I had a friend with big McIntosh MC-501s. He liked to listen quite loud but we never went beyond 50 watts and rarely above 10 watts on his Thiels. At my preferred levels we never went above 5 watts or so. We had far better sound from those speakers with 25 SET watts…even at my levels where, by your explanation it shouldn’t be the case since we weren’t listening to clipping characteristics…as neither amp was clipping…definitely not the Macs. Repeated this with a dozen other amps…just one of many to sound better than the ultra high power, low distortion MC-501s.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
So, studies that show THD, IMD don’t correlate with listener preference don’t register with you, just power match and perfect sound forever, right?

When did i say such ..?

Because of is why you need to match as you do with your tooby amp , but you know this ,

yet ..!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing