Trumpet videos

Looking at the speaker I was wondering how it could produce this nice bass - I was reassured by reading that it has four woofers in the back! Design seems interesting, with a first order crossover for the bass around 200 kHz and a single capacitor for the tweeter. 98db sensitivity.

Hornings are quite excellent Hybrid horn transducers imho and may be picked up in the pre owned market from time to time for very reasonable monies , I ran the slightly different driver configuration , but fundamentally same design concept, Agathon Ultimates for a while .

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab
Nice. Dexter Gordon on saxophone and Freddie Hubbard on trumpet (but Hancock is the star of the show here and his piano is nicely recorded and centered even in the stereo version). Typically the kind of recording which probably benefits from a mono version.

There's a CD version with both the mono and stereo versions (which I just ordered out of curiosity...): https://www.discogs.com/release/7581931-Herbie-Hancock-Takin-Off

Looking at the speaker I was wondering how it could produce this nice bass - I was reassured by reading that it has four woofers in the back! Design seems interesting, with a first order crossover for the bass around 200 kHz and a single capacitor for the tweeter. 98db sensitivity.

Yes, the woofers are loaded into a TQWT, as is the front firing 5 inch driver. So, it is a double TQWT design. What you can do then is tune the lengths of each horn to smooth out the cancellations within the horns and you get a quite smooth bass response that is also quite deep and full of impact.

The 5 inch mid has a 10KG(!) Alnico magnet and very low moving mass...this makes it ultra responsive ...much closer to a compression driver in it's explosiveness. It is also run without filter and by removing the whizzer you eliminate the main source of harshness in the driver.

The fact the the woofers play up to 200Hz means they really help flesh the lower mids/upper bass of a driver that would normally struggle in that range.

There is definitely a bit of alchemy involved to get the whole thing to play together as well as it does...but it does indeed play well together!

Horning has traded off ultimate tweeter resolution for coherence. As the tweeter is a paper cone, it matches sonically seamlessly with the midrange. The woofers are also paper.

I am reminded a bit of Zellaton speakers in the sense that every driver was of the same sandwich design...even a cone tweeter! Very coherent presentation as a result...probably my favorite conventional standard cone speaker.

Reactions: hopkins
Hornings are quite excellent Hybrid horn transducers imho and may be picked up in the pre owned market from time to time for very reasonable monies , I ran the slightly different driver configuration , but fundamentally same design concept, Agathon Ultimates for a while .

The Agathon Ultimate was the speaker that got me interested in the Horning brand in the first place! A very special speaker.

Reactions: Argonaut

same system...in the dark! Digital not vinyl this time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing