Trixie Whitley: Live at the Casbah, San Diego, CA May 30th, 2013:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Trixie Whitley: Live at the Casbah, San Diego, CA May 30th, 2013:

by Andre Marc

On a balmy late May evening, Trixie Whitley and her band played at legendary San Diego venue The Casbah. Whitley is currently on tour supporting her 2013 release, Fourth Corner. The album is her full length debut, after releasing a series of EPs. She first came to the spotlight with contributions to Daniel Lanois’s Black Dub project, which was one of the best albums of 2010. I reviewed their performance at the House Of Blues, for Positive-Feedback.com. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue56/blackdub.htm

Wiith Whitley playing electric guitar, with superb accompaniment from her band on keyboards and drums, her voice was in excellent form as she showcased her original compositions. The sound at the Casbah was up to its usual very high standard. The ninety minute set flew by, with Whitley and the band keep the pacing just right, mixed in with some endearing stage banter.

Whitley jumped on keyboards for a few songs as well, and she performed solo on two songs with just her guitar in tow. She has a unique and engaging guitar style, with hints of the syncopated rhythms favored by her father, the late, legendary Chris Whitley. And like her father, ultimately, her music is difficult to classify, with hints of soul, blues, alternative, and rock in a highly unique blend.

Whitley and company was scheduled to play a show at the famous Troubadour club in Los Angeles the next night, and she just appeared on KCRW, a major showcase for alternative artists. Good things are happening for Whitley, and one can only hope this young artist will have a long and compelling career. On my personal wish list is a second Black Dub record as well.

http://www.trixiewhitley.com/

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Also, highly recommended: the Belgian EP of "I'd Rather Go Blind"
Andre- I was wrong about the club date in NY, we go to see her Friday at Le Poisson Rouge in the Village. Looking forward to it. Her new album is very strong.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Also, highly recommended: the Belgian EP of "I'd Rather Go Blind"
Andre- I was wrong about the club date in NY, we go to see her Friday at Le Poisson Rouge in the Village. Looking forward to it. Her new album is very strong.

Yes, she had 3 Eps for sale at the show. You are in a for a treat..she is a very committed live performer..slightly insecure, and unjaded...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing