5 New Albums To Exlpore

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm all over that Mark Lanegan. This is his second cove album...curious.

If they do to In Utero what they did to Nevermind, all bets are are off. That massively compressed
piece of **** was a rip off....The MFSL are the ones to have.

Ha! I have my original "Nevermind" pressing and remember how folks in Seattle were outraged that the sound quality was too good and accused the band of selling out. The band brags about how little they spent making their debut LP "Bleach" right on the back cover!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Ha! I have my original "Nevermind" pressing and remember how folks in Seattle were outraged that the sound quality was too good and accused the band of selling out. The band brags about how little they spent making their debut LP "Bleach" right on the back cover!

Butch Vig pulled off a miracle by making Nevermind sound great. They were NOT a great band at that time.

The movie Sound City details how computers were used on certain tracks to quantize them because they could not get the timing
the way he felt it should be.

All that being said, I have no idea why Bod Ludwig crushed it on the remaster.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
There was a Ludwig remaster? I have the original German Geffen vinyl that I bought shortly after the album was released; and a copy that Orgmusic did on 'audiophile' vinyl several years ago- think it was Bernie Grundman that remastered, pressed at Pallas or RTI?
Haven't compared them directly, I do remember the original German pressing sounded very good.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
There was a Ludwig remaster? I have the original German Geffen vinyl that I bought shortly after the album was released; and a copy that Orgmusic did on 'audiophile' vinyl several years ago- think it was Bernie Grundman that remastered, pressed at Pallas or RTI?
Haven't compared them directly, I do remember the original German pressing sounded very good.

Yes, there was a Ludwig butchering. CD/HDTracks Download/LP.:(

http://www.lostturntable.com/?p=1291

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks. I managed to avoid that reissue. I'll spin my early German and the Org when I have time to see what's what between those- both are pretty highly regarded, haven't listened to them in a long while.

The MFSL Nirvana's are superb IMO. The 2011 reissue was a disgusting attempt to make it "competitive" in the loudness war.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
A couple of other good new albums off the top of my head:

Kasey Musgreaves 'Same Trailer, Different Park' Great songwriting and a somewhat different attitude than you might expect from female country-rock. Heir apparent to Miranda Lambert who obviously has a lot left in her tank.

The National 'Trouble Will Fine Me' One of the great bands out there now. Their growth (and sound) is not unlike Arcade Fire. I'd say their prior album 'High Violet' is actually profound. This new one is equally dense, not quite as immediately engaging as some of the tracks on HV, but really sinks in and grips.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
A couple of other good new albums off the top of my head:

Kasey Musgreaves 'Same Trailer, Different Park' Great songwriting and a somewhat different attitude than you might expect from female country-rock. Heir apparent to Miranda Lambert who obviously has a lot left in her tank.

The National 'Trouble Will Fine Me' One of the great bands out there now. Their growth (and sound) is not unlike Arcade Fire. I'd say their prior album 'High Violet' is actually profound. This new one is equally dense, not quite as immediately engaging as some of the tracks on HV, but really sinks in and grips.

+1...just ordered the Kasey Musgreaves. Completely agreed re: The National...this one really grows on you. Well recorded double LP.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The New Cults LP "Static" is out. Kind of a cool video...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
New Los Lobos double LP came out yesterday. Killer performance on two slabs of excellent sounding vinyl.

image.jpg

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
New Los Lobos double LP came out yesterday. Killer performance on two slabs of excellent sounding vinyl.

View attachment 12395

It is amazing how many performers have covered Los Lobos songs, right up until last year when Robert Plant
threw one on his Band Of Joy album

This is my album for the day:.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Really like the Feedbands release: Amycanbe "Mountain Whales"

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/ablzDtKMyy8HaE_4kvizqnoN0Ff8DdH2_tu7NcFRhWZ7RT4Tnx ouCwuJHqsI5S6sv1FVFD8aSkI=w300-rw

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing