Triton recommendation

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
RE: Typhon with the P5
I don't see how the Typhon could help the P5 since it puts out perfect power.

RE: Pre to the wall
Just my personal experience with regens. If there is going to be any advantage using it, it will be with the DAC. But try it for yourself. This is the fun stuff, the discovery of what works and what doesn't.

If the P5 outputs perfect power irrespective of the quality of whatever you feed it, you would not need a high grade PC between it and the wall. This is not consistent with what PS audio is telling, and not consistent with my experience either.

If the PC feeding the P5 / P10 makes a difference than it stands to reason inserting a typhon in parallel with the circuit would improve sound quality as well. I might even shoot Paul @ PS Audio an email to ask his opinion. But you're right the fun is trying stuff out and find out what works best empirically.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
If the P5 outputs perfect power irrespective of the quality of whatever you feed it, you would not need a high grade PC between it and the wall. This is not consistent with what PS audio is telling, and not consistent with my experience either.

If the PC feeding the P5 / P10 makes a difference than it stands to reason inserting a typhon in parallel with the circuit would improve sound quality as well. I might even shoot Paul @ PS Audio an email to ask his opinion. But you're right the fun is trying stuff out and find out what works best empirically.

OK, let us know what you find.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
That would be fantastic.

Sometimes simplest is best. If you only need 4 or fewer outlets, you can install a quadplex and avoid the complexities of power strips. Here is a photo of how we recommend you wire the outlets for equal performance between all the outlets. Use high quality outlets and wiring.

image.jpg

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Sometimes simplest is best. If you only need 4 or fewer outlets, you can install a quadplex and avoid the complexities of power strips. Here is a photo of how we recommend you wire the outlets for equal performance between all the outlets. Use high quality outlets and wiring.

Thanks. Four shunyata outlets will be included on my order. I'll just get an electrician in to do the work - very affordable and most importantly foolproof.

I'll just ask him to bring some heavy gauge wire, or is there any sort of "premium" wiring you recommend?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thanks. Four shunyata outlets will be included on my order. I'll just get an electrician in to do the work - very affordable and most importantly foolproof.

I'll just ask him to bring some heavy gauge wire, or is there any sort of "premium" wiring you recommend?
I am using stranded 12 gauge here.
The quality of the wire matters.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am using stranded 12 gauge here.
The quality of the wire matters.

Thanks. I have two Gutwire B-12 power cables collecting dust. They have 12 gauge "Multi-Strand High Purity Oxygen Free Copper" conductors. I'll ask my electrician to cut a piece of that cable for the wiring....

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
What is the purpose of the little blue and brown loops on each receptacle? Aren't the top and bottom ports connected internally? Or is it "resistors in parallel" to reduce the resistance between the two ports?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
The internal link is not removed but it is very thin and impacts performance between the top and bottom outlet so we jumper it. The jumper improves top to bottom DTCD.

We use wiring that conforms to international color code. Brown is hot and blue is neutral.

The ground wires were intentionally not shown to avoid confusion of the main wires of the photo. You do need to connect the ground wires.

Bluedog

Nov 22, 2013
Boston
In your specific case, if you do not plan to add more source components in the future, try the following.

Circuit A: Quadplex - 2 Amps - Typhon - VENOM DEFENDER in fourth outlet.

Circuit B: Quadplex - MSB - Pre - Typhon - VENOM DEFENDER

Caelin, I presently have Valvet A3.5 mono blocks plugged into a Triton using an Anaconda Z PC to the wall, but am concerned that perhaps there might be a better way to set up the mono blocks. You described using a Quadraplex with a Venom Defender in your post. Is this Quadraplex a product that Shunyata produces? And what type of cabling do you recommend to the wall from the Quadraplex? Thanx!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Caelin, I presently have Valvet A3.5 mono blocks plugged into a Triton using an Anaconda Z PC to the wall, but am concerned that perhaps there might be a better way to set up the mono blocks. You described using a Quadraplex with a Venom Defender in your post. Is this Quadraplex a product that Shunyata produces? And what type of cabling do you recommend to the wall from the Quadraplex? Thanx!

Buy two high grade duplex outlets (shunyata) call an electrician and let him wire them together. Explain what you want to do, and he'll bring correct box and wall plate. I paid about $100 for the job, but needed two quadplexes installed.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
For two mono block amps I would get a Cyclops, and attach it to the wall with an Anaconda. I use Z Pythons to connect my Pass amps to the Cyclops.

jax4736

Jan 27, 2014
Although my amplifier and front-end components are on different circuits, they are not dedicated lines. I have a Triton-Typhon on the front-end components, and will try adding a Defender to the amplifier duplex outlet.

I am using Anaconda PC's for the (stereo) amplifier, and another Anaconda PC for the Triton.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing