Triton recommendation

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I currently use 2 x PS audio P5 an a dedicated 15A circuit each for all my components (except for active woofer cabinets which are on a shunyata hydra 2 each, on a separate circuit).

I am intruiged by the stellar reports about Shunyata Triton and interested in trying one as a replacement or complement of the P5s. However, the number of permutations of what I can do with one Triton are many.

I can plug both of my poweramps into a single Triton on a single circuit (should be just about enough power for both) and leave my front end components plugged into a single P5. Alternatively, I can use the triton for my front end (MSB Dac and ARC ref 5SE) and share a P5 between the two poweramps. Ideally, I should get also get another circuit installed and use one circuit for each poweramp (and possibly one active woofer amp), and one circuit for front end components. After I have done a "triton proof of concept", I might just do that.

My first question is this. Can I expect more improvement moving my front end to Triton, and running poweramps over P5(s), or vice versa?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
So first, I love my Triton, added a Typhon a few months ago and love my digital and pre amps going through them.

I did try my Ayre MXR's into 2 unused outlets (front end stuff still plugged into the Triton/Typhon). While the noise floor dropped, better details/imaging etc etc....the dynamics dropped also. Amps back to the wall for me (I have 4 dedicated 20 amp lines - 1 each from the monoblocks and 1 for the Triton/Typhon/front end gear). (I'm using Anaconda Zitrons everywhere).

3 weeks ago I did replace 2 cryo'd hubbel outlets with Shunyata SR-Z1's outlets on the 2 lines for my amps. This also lowered the noise floor/better details/imaging (not as much as the Triton/Typhon) but this time improved the dynamics. (The new outlets took a week or two to settle down/smooth out) My Ayre amps do have some power conditioning built in...so in my system...The best is Anaconda Zitrons/SRZ1 outlets for the amps...

I suspect this is very system dependent. So you're milage may vary...but my vote is get your front end on the Triton first...

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Edorr,

There is a great deal of misunderstanding about amps and ideal power distribution. I'll share our perspective as a lead in to answering your question.

We believe that full access to peak current for all electronics is by far the most fundamental performance aspect of power-distribution for high-performance recording and playback systems. By contrast, most other companies that make power products believe that blocking grid-related noise is the most valuable aspect of their design. They view AC delivery in general as a low frequency, 60Hz signal. Our point of view is entirely different. We view power-delivery as a high-frequency event from the perspective of component power supplies (high-frequency because of the way components draw current and high-frequency with respect to the noise associated with high-end electronics power supplies). For that reason, Caelin's attention is first devoted to eliminating any point of added resistance within the Hydra models and power cords. Second, he places emphasis on minimizing the impact of system-generated noise through passive means within the power cords and Hydras. Third, we build in protection from surge and grid-related noise.

Having said all that…. :eek:)

In general, we recommend running amps directly to the wall (assuming there is at least one dedicated line set aside just for the amp/s)with high-quality power cords. The Hydra models have _nothing_ in them that will impede instantaneous current in any way; they are passive. However, amps are so sensitive to peak-current transfer (DTCD) that even the (2) added connections at the outlet and at the IEC of any power distributor --with the added power cord in line, can affect music's timing and dynamic content to some degree.

If you have the ability to add dedicated lines just for the amps, that would be my first recommendation, making sure _all_ of your dedicated lines are exactly the same in terms of length from the panel and wire gauge (to avoid ground-loop hum). Once you have done that, then I would encourage you to compare a Triton to your P5 if you are so inclined for the rest of your electronics; many people have performed that comparison.

If you install two dedicated lines (one for each amp) you can apply our Defender model ($195) to the second half of the duplex for each amp. The Defender will offer full protection and filtering on that circuit with ZERO loss of peak current efficiency and an L.E.D that lets you know if the protection ever fails.

I hope this helps. Feel free to e-mail us if you have more detailed questions about your system.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
If you install two dedicated lines (one for each amp) you can apply our Defender model ($195) to the second half of the duplex for each amp. The Defender will offer full protection and filtering on that circuit with ZERO loss of peak current efficiency and an L.E.D that lets you know if the protection ever fails.

I hope this helps. Feel free to e-mail us if you have more detailed questions about your system.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Or you can add a Typhon to each line and join the, as Caelin called it, lunatic fringe, and really hear what Shunyata can do for your amps.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Or you can add a Typhon to each line and join the, as Caelin called it, lunatic fringe, and really hear what Shunyata can do for your amps.

I think that I'm destined to be part of that lunatic fringe.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
In the situation like me only have a dedicated circuit with a few outlets linked to this circuit, what is the best way to connect the sources and amps to Triton? Plug everything into Triton or only sources to Triton and the mono amps go to separate outlets?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
In the situation like me only have a dedicated circuit with a few outlets linked to this circuit, what is the best way to connect the sources and amps to Triton? Plug everything into Triton or only sources to Triton and the mono amps go to separate outlets?

You will likely get the best results with everything connected to the Triton.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Still pondering my optimal configuration, and price / performance sweetspot, and am considering some other options. My situation is this:

I have two dedicated circuits, and I need to run four devices for my 2 channel setup: 2 x monoblock, drawing about 5 amp each, 1 x MSB DAC with Diamond powersupply, and ARC Ref 5SE. I also run the bass modules of my speakers on a 3rd circuit with just a Hydra 2 on each side. My source is battery powered so no issues there.

The configuration I had in mind was:

(A) getting one Typhon and connect the two monoblocks with Typhon to one circuit, and get a Triton for the the MSB DAC and preamp on the other circuit.

I am not thinking of going all out and do this:

(B1) Getting a Typon + Triton on each circuit, and connect the mono's to circuit 1 and the DAC + PReamp to circuit 2 OR
(B2) Getting a Typon + Triton on each circuit, and connect one mono + DAC to circuit 1 and the other mono + PReamp to circuit 2
(B3) Getting a Typon + Triton on each circuit, and connect one mono, one bass cabinet + DAC to circuit 1 and the other mono, one bass cabinet + PReamp to circuit 2 (THIS ASSUMES THE CIRCUITS WONT OVERLOAD)

Here are some questions:

1. Scenario B is $14K more (Typhon / Triton + 2 x anaconda umbilical) expensive than A. How much more performance would I get out of scenario B?

2. Would connecting the class D amp from the bass cabinets be detrimental to the other components? The Triton does not isolate inputs, and I understand class D amps generate a lot of noise.

3. How much effect will Triton / Typhon have on the MSB DAC, considering it has a $6K powersupply?

4. If I go with scenario B, which would be the best setup. B1 or B2, B3?

5. Any other suggestion of how to optimize the investment given my parameters (2 circuits, 4 components).

I understand this is uncharted territory, but any input is welcome, in particular from the maestro (Caelin) himself of course.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
The configuration I had in mind was:

(A) getting one Typhon and connect the two monoblocks with Typhon to one circuit, and get a Triton for the the MSB DAC and preamp on the other circuit.

In your specific case, if you do not plan to add more source components in the future, try the following.

Circuit A: Quadplex - 2 Amps - Typhon - VENOM DEFENDER in fourth outlet.

Circuit B: Quadplex - MSB - Pre - Typhon - VENOM DEFENDER

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
In your specific case, if you do not plan to add more source components in the future, try the following.

Circuit A: Quadplex - 2 Amps - Typhon - VENOM DEFENDER in fourth outlet.

Circuit B: Quadplex - MSB - Pre - Typhon - VENOM DEFENDER

So you think I would get more mileage out of adding a typhon to circuit with the DAC / Pre than getting a Triton?

Also, I am currently using a P5 regenerator. Would it be an idea to hook up de DAC and Pre to the P5 and run this into one of the outlets on circuit B with the Typhon? Feel free to take the fifth if you're not comfortable speculating about efficacy of using a Typhon with competing products :)

Are you recommending this configuration because it will give the best price performance, or is it because you think adding tritons into the mix not add performance on either circuit A or B?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Also, I am currently using a P5 regenerator. Would it be an idea to hook up de DAC and Pre to the P5 and run this into one of the outlets on circuit B with the Typhon? Feel free to take the fifth if you're not comfortable speculating about efficacy of using a Typhon with competing products :) (...)

As I own a similar PS Audio P10 re-generator I am also particularly interested in this aspect.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
So you think I would get more mileage out of adding a typhon to circuit with the DAC / Pre than getting a Triton?

Also, I am currently using a P5 regenerator. Would it be an idea to hook up de DAC and Pre to the P5 and run this into one of the outlets on circuit B with the Typhon? Feel free to take the fifth if you're not comfortable speculating about efficacy of using a Typhon with competing products :)

Are you recommending this configuration because it will give the best price performance, or is it because you think adding tritons into the mix not add performance on either circuit A or B?

The regenerator is quite good at isolating the line connection to its outlets. So on components that do not require high instantaneous current, the regenerator may sound quite good. Since you already have it, why not try some different configurations and see what works best. Your highest probability of success will be to connect the DAC to the regenerator and the Pre to the wall with a VENOM DEFENDER and TYPHON. Be sure to completely unplug the conditioners from the wall (not just turning off the switch) when comparing one to the other. Generally speaking we do not recommend mixing power conditioners especially connecting one into the other. Let us know what works best for you.

It sounds like you are looking for the best cost to performance ratio so what I have recommended should get you there.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The regenerator is quite good at isolating the line connection to its outlets. So on components that do not require high instantaneous current, the regenerator may sound quite good. Since you already have it, why not try some different configurations and see what works best. Your highest probability of success will be to connect the DAC to the regenerator and the Pre to the wall with a VENOM DEFENDER and TYPHON. Be sure to completely unplug the conditioners from the wall (not just turning off the switch) when comparing one to the other. Generally speaking we do not recommend mixing power conditioners especially connecting one into the other. Let us know what works best for you.

It sounds like you are looking for the best cost to performance ratio so what I have recommended should get you there.

Thanks Caelin, I will do just that. I'll probably order 2 x Thypon + 1 x Triton, try some different configurations (including the P5) see what works best, and sell whatever gear I won't be needing after the experiment.

One though. Plugging the Thypon in to a P5 with umbilcal into a P5 won't do any good, because the P5 has isolated circuits. I would think using a Phyton in parallel on a quadplex outlet could still benefit the P5, because the Typhon filtering would work on the P5.

Why are you suggesting connecting the tube preamp to the quadplex on the wall, instead of the P5?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thanks Caelin, I will do just that. I'll probably order 2 x Thypon + 1 x Triton, try some different configurations (including the P5) see what works best, and sell whatever gear I won't be needing after the experiment.

One though. Plugging the Thypon in to a P5 with umbilcal into a P5 won't do any good, because the P5 has isolated circuits. I would think using a Phyton in parallel on a quadplex outlet could still benefit the P5, because the Typhon filtering would work on the P5.

Why are you suggesting connecting the tube preamp to the quadplex on the wall, instead of the P5?

RE: Typhon with the P5
I don't see how the Typhon could help the P5 since it puts out perfect power.

RE: Pre to the wall
Just my personal experience with regens. If there is going to be any advantage using it, it will be with the DAC. But try it for yourself. This is the fun stuff, the discovery of what works and what doesn't.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing