Trinity DAC

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The Skogrand Beethoven USB cable going from Trinity Media PC into the conversion box.
P_20160617_212244.jpg

A single-mode ST&T optical cable from the conversion box to the Trinity DAC.
P_20160617_212215.jpg

This Trinity DAC is an upgraded one so the labeling on its back have not been changed.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
wow!!!

the Trinity dac appears to have it's output locations re-tasked in some way.

can you describe what each connection is across the back. looks like (going left to right) the 1st and 3rd connections are XLR analog outputs. the 2nd is the grounding (Tripoint Thor or higher it appears).

4th, 5th and 6th have to be the optical inputs; maybe one for each channel plus another one? or maybe 5th and 6th are USB so you can switch from Optical to USB?

how would you describe the difference in performance from conventional USB to Optical?

and this is fed by the Trinity media player? with it's own optical output?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Nice !

How does it work ?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Upgrade is 3500€ . I think the conversion box , converts the USB in from the media server to optical out .

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I wonder how it would compare to the Intona USB isolator, which also offers full galvanic isolation.

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
wow!!!

the Trinity dac appears to have it's output locations re-tasked in some way.

can you describe what each connection is across the back. looks like (going left to right) the 1st and 3rd connections are XLR analog outputs. the 2nd is the grounding (Tripoint Thor or higher it appears).

4th, 5th and 6th have to be the optical inputs; maybe one for each channel plus another one? or maybe 5th and 6th are USB so you can switch from Optical to USB?

how would you describe the difference in performance from conventional USB to Optical?

and this is fed by the Trinity media player? with it's own optical output?

CKKeung, I second Mike´s admiration/curiosity, I see Siltech Triple Crown and cannot help but to ask about your opinion or experience with them?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CKKeung, I second Mike´s admiration/curiosity, I see Siltech Triple Crown and cannot help but to ask about your opinion or experience with them?

I will answer some of the questions :
The optical conversion box isolates Most of the noise coming from the Trinity Media PC circuitry. Noise floor decreased and digital harshness gone.
The connection of my friend is : Trinity Media PC > Skogrand Beethoven usb cable > optical conversion box > single mode optical cable > Trinity DAC optical input (the 4th from the left in the photo).
My friend is using Siltech Triple Crown xlr ic for the analog outputs from Trinity DAC. The TripleCrown is MSG of extreme quality! Don't use too much in a system, one may be enough already. The other ic of his system are Taralabs Grandmaster Evolution xlr which has a more even character.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I will answer some of the questions :
The optical conversion box isolates Most of the noise coming from the Trinity Media PC circuitry. Noise floor decreased and digital harshness gone.
The connection of my friend is : Trinity Media PC > Skogrand Beethoven usb cable > optical conversion box > single mode optical cable > Trinity DAC optical input (the 4th from the left in the photo).
My friend is using Siltech Triple Crown xlr ic for the analog outputs from Trinity DAC. The TripleCrown is MSG of extreme quality! Don't use too much in a system, one may be enough already. The other ic of his system are Taralabs Grandmaster Evolution xlr which has a more even character.

That's means trinity PC also generates a lot of noises and no different from othe PC. It begs the question why spent a fortune on Trinty PC.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
That's means trinity PC also generates a lot of noises and no different from othe PC. It begs the question why spent a fortune on Trinty PC.

All computer motherboards produce noise inevitably. And all of the music servers/streamers in the market contain some sort of motherboards. :(

We get what we paid for. Trinity Media PC price is lower than that of Aurander W20. HiFi manufacturers rarely set wrong prices. :rolleyes:

BTW my Trinty PC+DAC friend also has a CD transport (Metronome Kalista) and a LP system (Live Origin Voyager/Simplicity2/Koetsu Coralstone Diamond/Trinity Phono).
My rating of their performance is : LP >> CD transport > Trinity Media PC.
:)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
All computer motherboards produce noise inevitably. And all of the music servers/streamers in the market contain some sort of motherboards. :(

We get what we paid for. Trinity Media PC price is lower than that of Aurander W20. HiFi manufacturers rarely set wrong prices. :rolleyes:

BTW my Trinty PC+DAC friend also has a CD transport (Metronome Kalista) and a LP system (Live Origin Voyager/Simplicity2/Koetsu Coralstone Diamond/Trinity Phono).
My rating of their performance is : LP >> CD transport > Trinity Media PC.

Surprised at your ranking . The very raison d’être of the Trinity DAC is its USB input taking advantage of its uber clock . So the CD transport doing better is against logic . What is the retail on the Media PC ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Surprised at your ranking . The very raison d’être of the Trinity DAC is its USB input taking advantage of its uber clock . So the CD transport doing better is against logic . What is the retail on the Media PC ?

IMHO it is illogical if the Trinity Media PC (net price in HK = usd13k) can be better than the Metronome flagship CD transport (usd30k).

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
IMHO it is illogical if the Trinity Media PC (net price in HK = usd13k) can be better than the Metronome flagship CD transport (usd30k).

Why not? I do not understand why prices will determine sound quality. Higher price implies better quality?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Why not? I do not understand why prices will determine sound quality. Higher price implies better quality?

Agree. Never tried the Kalista reference that I owned with the Trinity dac (I sold my Metronome Kalista reference about one and a half year ago) but I do not believe that it sounds better with the Trinity dac than Trinity's own dedicated server.

CKKeung, I believe you have never been really happy with the performance of the Trinity server?

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Because most hifi manufacturers are smart and will set the prices of their products according to the absolute sonic performance.
Giant killers are not common.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Because most hifi manufacturers are smart and will set the prices of their products according to the absolute sonic performance.
Giant killers are not common.

This is the biggest BS I have read on a HiFi forum

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You are very very very rude !!!!!

Possibly. At least I am not very very very wrong, like you were.

You are going against the very essence of audiophilia. People should just sit at home, sort equipment by prices, and pay for the highest one at their budget point.

Let's start a forum that runs an excel spreadsheet to judge equipment by retail prices.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Possibly. At least I am not very very very wrong, like you were.

You are going against the very essence of audiophilia. People should just sit at home, sort equipment by prices, and pay for the highest one at their budget point.

Let's start a forum that runs an excel spreadsheet to judge equipment by retail prices.

Not possibly but definitely very rude!
And you obviously don't know what the words 'most' & 'uncommon' mean.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Does anybody have a definite euro retail for the Trinity PC Drive ? Was quoted as 19k € on this thread , but seems much lower as president the HKG retail .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing