Transparency vs. Synergy?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We can take some guidance from "For very small audio impairments, Recommendation ITU-R BS.1116-1 should be used"

We have referred to this aspect before several times - the need for testing for "positives" using accepted anchors. But the proponents of audio challenges do not like the subject - they hate it as much as the hate statistical analysis.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
Stereophile (that booted him)

You say that as if it's a bad thing. :D

I wear my bannings as a badge of honor. I've been banned temporarily or permanently at several forums besides Stereophile, including Audioholics, Steve Hoffmann, Audio Circle, Home Theater Shack, Gearslutz, and even this fine forum. Being banned from a forum just proves that I'm right, and it proves they know I'm right. They know they can't refute me with logic and evidence, so all that's left is to censor me! Or insult me as we see here repeatedly.

--Ethan

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) At age 65 my high frequency response is not as extended as a younger person's, but I'll bet money that my general audio perception is more refined than most people's. (...)

--Ethan

I can easily admit it - nice to read that after all you also valuate psychoacoustics! But this means you replace high frequency with experience and training - this can introduce serious listening biases.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I wear my bannings as a badge of honor. I've been banned temporarily or permanently at several forums besides Stereophile, including Audioholics, Steve Hoffmann, Audio Circle, Home Theater Shack, Gearslutz, and even this fine forum. Being banned from a forum just proves that I'm right, and it proves they know I'm right. They know they can't refute me with logic and evidence, so all that's left is to censor me! Or insult me as we see here repeatedly.

--Ethan

Oh my.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
We have referred to this aspect before several times - the need for testing for "positives" using accepted anchors. But the proponents of audio challenges do not like the subject - they hate it as much as the hate statistical analysis.

Sure, it's just my vain attempt at trying to get something through Ethan's impenetrable bias & belief that he is a martyr. He uses repetition ad nauseum so I thought it might work on him?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

--Ethan

Sounds like a great business plan...alienate as many new customers as possible who use audio forums with your unsubstantiated/biased(except in your own mind) claims of your golden ear backed up by your vast measurement arsenal. Is this the new normal ? A Train-wreck business strategy... Your bannings speak volumes of your lack of credibility and stubbornness...Not the type business I would want to do business with again.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Being banned from a forum just proves that I'm right, and it proves they know I'm right. They know they can't refute me with logic and evidence, so all that's left is to censor me! Or insult me as we see here repeatedly.

--Ethan

Sorry, but being banned from any place, not only a forum, clearly tells me one is not welcome there. So why are you still around here? Do you like to feel unwelcome, is that it?

alexandre

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

--Ethan

That's really something to be proud of.

Pearuser1

May 10, 2014
UK
Back to OP question. Transparency is a sonic characteristic. Synergy is associated in hifi terms with the components working harmoniously together i:e having the same sonic signature. Both important I would say. Put lack of listening fatigue and musical involvement at the top of the mix IMO.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Just thought I'd drop by and see how the general flogging and degrading of Ethan is coming along. Seems to be business as usual; he has some data you don't like and opinions you can't stand. You have your personal and collective experiences, your confidence that you're right, and your presumptions about his experience that allow you to easily dismiss him. No wonder he doesn't mind being banned. Brings an end to it.

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Just thought I'd drop by and see how the general flogging and degrading of Ethan is coming along. Seems to be business as usual; he has some data you don't like and opinions you can't stand. You have your personal and collective experiences, your confidence that you're right, and your presumptions about his experience that allow you to easily dismiss him. No wonder he doesn't mind being banned. Brings an end to it.

Tim

I'd say it looks like you are trying to stir things up again by your inflammatory post. I'm not taking the bait. You must be bored this morning.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Although I have never bought any room treatments from Ethan, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Ethan's refreshing insights remind me of his bass traps. They break up the resonance in an internet otherwise filled with self affirmation. :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Although I have never bought any room treatments from Ethan, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Ethan's refreshing insights remind me of his bass traps. They break up the resonance in an internet otherwise filled with self affirmation. :)

His bass traps are good. His co.'s advice based on a supplied room diagram for how many to use and where to use them is poor. I should know. I use half the amount his resident "expert" recommended and gladly sold to me.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Tim

wow, you two are two pea's in a pod. Generally wrong.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
His bass traps are good. His co.'s advice based on a supplied room diagram for how many to use and where to use them is poor. I should know. I use half the amount his resident "expert" recommended and gladly sold to me.
I understand. No one can really know the exact location and quantity of treatments without being in the room and using a microphone.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I understand. No one can really know the exact location and quantity of treatments without being in the room and using a microphone.

I thought you could by looking at a picture.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'd say it looks like you are trying to stir things up again by your inflammatory post. I'm not taking the bait. You must be bored this morning.

Mark,

Unfortunately you seem to be right. Perhaps when someone does not appreciate the audiophile debates and is not technically able to participate in audio discussions he needs violent debates to keep him happy. It is curious that most Ethan supporters are always trying to show him as a victim, something he does not need IMHO.

As far as I know Ethan participates in a few forums where they debate his products. I cannot understand why he seems so proud of those where he has been banished and does not list those who cherish him and also why he does not supply links about good debates concerning the positive aspects and the use of room treatments. I would be much more interesting than provocation and victimization.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I didn't know Ethan made room treatment for computer speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing