Toward a Better WBF…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. Well that is where we disagree then on this.

I don't think Lee is pushing an agenda. I don't think he has a pecuniary affiliation with any industry media or any industry manufacturer at this point. (Lee, please correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

I think Lee is posting merely as a passionate owner of the brands and products he actually owns.

i understand you have to balance out things here.

I'm with @bonzo75 on this cause I'm tired of reviewers promoting Wilson, Audio Research and dcs just like I'm tired of hearing Patricia Barber on audio shows. There is no need to turn WBF to a controlled area which will only encourage promoters.

Last edited:
Lee is just worried people are challenging his claims that dCS apex and XVX are ST the forefront of ground breaking technology, MoFi is quality, and long term loans are fine etc. he wants us to be cordial and let those comments slip by

DCS, Wilson, Mofi are all overpriced downward spiral products that by their very price and price rises seek out less music lovers, not more and add to the entire downward spiral of high end.

If one is selling less, jack the price up to keep margins and cash flow, however eventually you reach a stage where prices are unrealistic and virtually nobody is being this gear.

Reviewers keep giving great reviews and " overall value for money statements " where the reality is, the public is being shafted.
Even at 25% accommodation cost for long term reviewers, the price is probably getting steep on some of these high priced products.

Wilson and DCS certainly are not the only ones with this downward spiral of growing inflated prices.

Overall the cost to the industry is many manufacturers will go out of business as they will have priced themselves out of staying in business with regular cashflow. Many audiophiles who got suckered into high priced hifi gear will be pissed with no after sales service.

Just my opinion and I am a happy Wilson owner. I am not a happy potential Wilson upgrade owner as the replacement for my Maxx3's are priced like a high price sharleton they are so high.

YMMV

I don't think Lee is pushing an agenda. I don't think he has a pecuniary affiliation with any industry media or any industry manufacturer at this point. (Lee, please correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

I think Lee is posting merely as a passionate owner of the brands and products he actually owns and loves.

Woukd Lee or any other reviewers love their products at full retail pricing if that is what they had to pay ?

Last edited:
We are not discussing that here. We are talking about a person with an agenda to push higher prices as justified, being challenged, and suggesting that to make WBF a better place, let such comments slip. This is quite different than a debate with an owner or someone who likes dCS saying it is sonically good or better than XYZ dac. We know when it is a subjective debate vs an agenda led debate.

I have no agenda here other than to have a more civil discussion. And with regards to Wilson or dCS or any of the other hundreds of good products I like, I have no desire “to push higher prices.” You are making quite an assumption there.

I think Lee is posting merely as a passionate owner of the brands and products he actually owns and loves.

This is correct. I have no industry affiliation since leaving Nextscreen. I never received compensation other than my salary at Nextscreen.

Whilst we are trying to make this forum a better place, can we please drop the 'wife acceptance factor' line. Perhaps both partners have a love of music and interest in HiFi and perhaps both partners are also interested in design and style... just saying.
So true - I cringe every time I hear this phrase. FFS we're in the 21st century!

Reactions: wil
DCS, Wilson, Mofi are all overpriced downward spiral products that by their very price and price rises seek out less music lovers, not more and add to the entire downward spiral of high end.

If one is selling less, jack the price up to keep margins and cash flow, however eventually you reach a stage where prices are unrealistic and virtually nobody is being this gear.

Reviewers keep giving great reviews and " overall value for money statements " where the reality is, the public is being shafted.
Even at 25% accommodation cost for long term reviewers, the price is probably getting steep on some of these high priced products.

Wilson and DCS certainly are not the only ones with this downward spiral of growing inflated prices.

Overall the cost to the industry is many manufacturers will go out of business as they will have priced themselves out of staying in business with regular cashflow. Many audiophiles who got suckered into high priced hifi gear will be pissed with no after sales service.

Just my opinion and I am a happy Wilson owner. I am not a happy potential Wilson upgrade owner as the replacement for my Maxx3's are priced like a high price sharleton they are so high.

YMMV

Ooh boy. Where to start…

1. Standard accommodation is 50% off, 25% is extremely rare and I have only heard one case of it and it involved a piece of prototype gear.

2. The price has gone up because of parts price increases primarily. I know of two loudspeakers designers complaining about some metal parts going up 4x and 5x.

3. If you talk to Alon at Magico, he will tell you that a manufacturer needs to be at 4-6X Bill of Materials to earn a good return.

Woukd Lee or any other reviewers love their products at full retail pricing if that is what they had to pay ?

Probably. After all, I bought all my prior ARC gear at full retail.

Reactions: XV-1
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing