Torus Power Balanced 90A Panel

Habanero Monk

Jul 12, 2014
How much did all the specialty Shyunta cost in comparison to the balanced power?

I know balanced power is guaranteed to deliver true engineering in CMNR, no induction, etc. For the money I have seen spent on cables I've always wondered why they aren't running true balanced power.

That thing looks awesome.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
How much did all the specialty Shyunta cost in comparison to the balanced power?

I know balanced power is guaranteed to deliver true engineering in CMNR, no induction, etc. For the money I have seen spent on cables I've always wondered why they aren't running true balanced power.

That thing looks awesome.

I have 1 Shunyata Triton and 3 Typhons. That's $20k not including power cords! The Torus was $11k. I am using all of the Shunyata boxes with the Torus though. I took them out and had a noticeable drop in performance.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have 1 Shunyata Triton and 3 Typhons. That's $20k not including power cords! The Torus was $11k. I am using all of the Shunyata boxes with the Torus though. I took them out and had a noticeable drop in performance.

Glad to read things are looking up. Look forward to your thoughts on sound when you've had a chance to enjoy and let everything settle down again. Congrats...seems like a winner.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Glad to read things are looking up. Look forward to your thoughts on sound when you've had a chance to enjoy and let everything settle down again. Congrats...seems like a winner.

Thanks Lloyd!

I listened for a day before I left last week and it sounded ok. Not great but certainly more listenable than it was.

This is my 3rd day home. I don't know if the box needs to break in, have no idea. I saw in Mike Lavigne's Equitech thread that his system was exceptional at turn on. Mine was good at turn on but that was compared to the crap I had been listening to for the past months. I was disappointed while listening the first couple of days back. The bass has been muddy, lumpy, not defined at all. Soundstage has been narrow and relatively shallow. Not much weight or air. So I guess you could say I wasn't overly thrilled.

Last night around 11:00PM, the soundstage sounded like it was starting to open up. Seemed to be a little more weight too. Wasn't sure if it was the record or the system. But after another hour or so it was apparent things were changing for the better.

I left the amps on overnight to keep a load on the Torus. Listened for a bit first thing this morning and it's definitely sounding better. Whether it's going to stay that way or get even better is anyone's guess.

It's not anywhere close to where it was at its best. Of course it never was at its best very often so I guess a little consistency would be welcome.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
My Equi=tech transformers had to break in. Hard to tell exactly how long because I had also added new outlets. I thought Mike Lavigne said his got better over time as well.

I would give it some time.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I always think anything power will effect the cabling in place. It will get better as the sounstage will open,as you already noticed and the bass will firm up and get more articulate. It acts like breaking in cables. As mentioned that large toroidal will take some time too.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I left the amps on all day while I was gone to keep a load on the Torus panel and came home to a pleasant surprise.
Everything has opened up very nicely! The soundstage has exploded! Left to right, front to rear and I have layering for the first time in many, many months. Much of the weight has returned. Deep and mid bass articulation is coming around. The grain I was hearing in the mid and upper frequencies is almost gone, replaced by an almost liquid presentation.

I feel like my electrical problems of the last year might finally be behind me. It will be great to just listen to music and not have to troubleshoot equipment constantly to find problems.

Hallelujah and thank you Torus Power!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Frank, do you turn off your amps normally when not listening to music? This may have something to do with it. The XS-300 may draw a lot of power at idle but it may be worth it to leave them on 24-7.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank, do you turn off your amps normally when not listening to music? This may have something to do with it. The XS-300 may draw a lot of power at idle but it may be worth it to leave them on 24-7.

Thanks Sean. The amps warm up fairly quickly. I had them for a year before my electrical problems started so I know the warm up pattern well. Leaving them on 24/7 would not be wise and I think unnecessary. 1000 watts at idle is expensive and hot.

I really feel the large Torus panel is breaking in and that's what I'm hearing. The improvements have been noticeable and continuous over the last 36 hours or so. I'm going to leave the amps running for another 24 hours or so just to leave a continuous load on the Torus panel. I'm thinking that may just about do it. The system really sounded excellent the last couple of hours of listening tonight. Very exciting!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Sean. The amps warm up fairly quickly. I had them for a year before my electrical problems started so I know the warm up pattern well. Leaving them on 24/7 would not be wise and I think unnecessary. 1000 watts at idle is expensive and hot.

I really feel the large Torus panel is breaking in and that's what I'm hearing. The improvements have been noticeable and continuous over the last 36 hours or so. I'm going to leave the amps running for another 24 hours or so just to leave a continuous load on the Torus panel. I'm thinking that may just about do it. The system really sounded excellent the last couple of hours of listening tonight. Very exciting!

Good news and very exciting. And yes, I understand the 1000 watts 24/7 bit...the Gryphon burns 800 out of the wall at idle. There are 2 off buttons...one which turns off the amp but allows enough juice just to keep the capacitor charge, and one which is truly off (for shipping purposes or really long periods of no listening). The first one is always off when not listening.

Looking forward to more of your listening notes...

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
And yes, I understand the 1000 watts 24/7 bit...the Gryphon burns 800 out of the wall at idle. There are 2 off buttons...one which turns off the amp but allows enough juice just to keep the capacitor charge, and one which is truly off (for shipping purposes or really long periods of no listening). The first one is always off when not listening.

Pass has the same feature.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Pass has the same feature.

Thank goodness, having to wait 45 minutes to re-charge the capacitors or otherwise, having to keep the amps running at 1000 watts in silence would be nuts. BTW, when you get a chance, I think I may have asked you about your speakers many moons ago...but I'd love to get a summary of how they compare with other SOTA speakers you've owned. Only 29 other people out there own one, so nice to have an owner here.

If you prefer to PM, fine by me. Thanks.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
To the topic of running Torus balanced power w/Shunyata mains treatments, my system is maybe a close parallel - I'm running the Westwick Audio 8K, 8kVA balanced transformer, alongside Entreq Silver Tellus/Apollo grounding. My experience is that either have been a decided improvement, but running both in parallel has made the whole greater the sum of it's parts.
To summarise, the balanced transformer has "beefed" up the foundation of the music, imbuing a power and solidity that wasn't there w/either untreated mains or my previous Burmester 948 power conditioner; and the Entreq grounding has "clarified" the music esp. higher up the spectrum, bringing a sort of ease and airiness to the presentation. Both approaches complementing each other.
I strongly suspect Torus and Shunyata will bring the same series of advantages.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Thank goodness, having to wait 45 minutes to re-charge the capacitors or otherwise, having to keep the amps running at 1000 watts in silence would be nuts. BTW, when you get a chance, I think I may have asked you about your speakers many moons ago...but I'd love to get a summary of how they compare with other SOTA speakers you've owned. Only 29 other people out there own one, so nice to have an owner here.

If you prefer to PM, fine by me. Thanks.

As you know Lloyd, it all comes down to personal preference. My last 2 speakers before the Sonus Fabers were the Wilson Alexandria Series 2 and the Grand Slamm Series 2. Both Wilsons were great speakers to me. I went to the Alexandrias because they represented a significant upgrade across every parameter I listen for, at least in my room at that time.

As for the Sonus Faber, the upgrade in overall performance, as compared to the Alexandrias was there but not as easily detectable. One of the features I did like, and maybe they were ahead of their time considering the move to Stillpoints by the Wilson crowd, is the isolation system used in the Sonus Fabers. I feel next to nothing in terms of vibration on my concrete slab floor when playing at loud volumes. The isolation footers do a fantastic job.

In terms of sound, I believe it is all in the ear of the beholder. We all have our preferences. I like the soundstage as portrayed by the Sonus Fabers quite a bit more. I prefer bass and mid bass through the Sonus Faber and I think there is a little less stridency in the upper frequencies with the Sonus Faber as compared to the Alexandria. Not at all a slam from my standpoint against the Wilsons. Hell, I could have lived with the Grand Slamms forever too.

I've listened to Magicos, I like them, a lot. Different presentation but I'm sure I would love the Q7 in my room. I believe I do have my last speaker though, I can't foresee a change any time in my future. The Sonus Faber gives me everything I need in spades and I couldn't be happier with them.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As you know Lloyd, it all comes down to personal preference. My last 2 speakers before the Sonus Fabers were the Wilson Alexandria Series 2 and the Grand Slamm Series 2. Both Wilsons were great speakers to me. I went to the Alexandrias because they represented a significant upgrade across every parameter I listen for, at least in my room at that time.

As for the Sonus Faber, the upgrade in overall performance, as compared to the Alexandrias was there but not as easily detectable. One of the features I did like, and maybe they were ahead of their time considering the move to Stillpoints by the Wilson crowd, is the isolation system used in the Sonus Fabers. I feel next to nothing in terms of vibration on my concrete slab floor when playing at loud volumes. The isolation footers do a fantastic job.

In terms of sound, I believe it is all in the ear of the beholder. We all have our preferences. I like the soundstage as portrayed by the Sonus Fabers quite a bit more. I prefer bass and mid bass through the Sonus Faber and I think there is a little less stridency in the upper frequencies with the Sonus Faber as compared to the Alexandria. Not at all a slam from my standpoint against the Wilsons. Hell, I could have lived with the Grand Slamms forever too.

I've listened to Magicos, I like them, a lot. Different presentation but I'm sure I would love the Q7 in my room. I believe I do have my last speaker though, I can't foresee a change any time in my future. The Sonus Faber gives me everything I need in spades and I couldn't be happier with them.
Great stuff, Frank. Thanks for that. An interesting read. Enjoy!

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
?The Torus 90A Wall Panel is worth every penny I paid for it. I had terrible electrical problems that popped up over the last year. With every new store, restaurant and business that opened up in my suburban downtown location, it seemed my system performance took a hit.

At first we thought the problem was equipment based and I spent a few months swapping preamps, amps, cables and anything else I could think of trying to find the problem. My system at this point was unlistenable. Collapsed soundstage, hard, brittle sounding with mud for bass. And that was on a good day!

Finally at the end of my rope one day, I found an old Richard Gray isolation unit out in my garage and brought it in. I plugged my preamp in and heard a small improvement. I spoke with my dealer the next day and he brought out a 20A, 120V rack version of a Torus conditioner. I plugged my preamp, phono pre and CD player into it. Immediate improvement and hope! I listened for a few weeks and there was enough there to make me commit to the monster 90A 300Lb Torus Power wall panel. I had to wait and hope for 7 weeks until it finally arrived.

It has been everything I hoped for. My system has returned to full fidelity giving me every ounce of performance I recall prior to its utter collapse over 1 year ago. I waited a few weeks to report on its success to make sure the fix was permanent. I'm confident now that it is.

For me the Torus unit is a necessity and not a luxury or tweak. I can't say enough about it and I obviously highly recommend it.

image.jpg

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank

Did I miss it or what was the reason the Torus wouldn't power on initially

Believe it or not there was a loose wire. Took the electrician and an engineer from Torus on the phone about 2 hours to find it. Torus was quite embarrassed that it got through their QC. They sent me a nice bottle of wine and reimbursed me for the extra time my electrician had to spend on the job. I didn't ask for either, they volunteered both the wine and money.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing