The Ugly Truth Behind Hi-Fi's Growing Infatuation For Nostalgia

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

This seems to me to be a broadside and somewhat uneducated attack on currently manufactured products grounded in vintage design philosophies.

I find the article a bit incoherent, and I'm not even sure what "ugly truth" the author thinks he's exposing.

Am I reading this wrong?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

This seems to me to be a broadside and somewhat uneducated attack on currently manufactured products grounded in vintage design philosophies.

I find the article a bit incoherent, and I'm not even sure what "ugly truth" the author thinks he's exposing.

Am I reading this wrong?

Hi Ron,

Just had a quick read. It is indeed a rather poorly framed piece I agree.

I think there is an underlying but important message that he was trying to communicate namely:

>> There is an increasing interest in hifi ethos of yesteryear due to the tragic pathway that modern hifi has trodden

He is trying to encourage the industry to have a rethink about its current direction of travel by looking into its past with a sharper focus. This instead of rehashing old products that merely have a retro vibe about them.

Best.

Mark38

Jan 29, 2022
Seems like it was written by someone with a deadline.

How does it sound? The retro look is something they feel makes their products more appealing.

Reactions: tima

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've read some pretty preposterous things recently, but this one is right up there, I must congratulate the author for being so far off the mark, he can't even see the target anymore.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Reads like someone who doesn't know a lot. The only thing he's picked up on is some people want a retro look. The only company that might produce an actual vintage sound is maybe Fyne, but that is to be proven.

Frankly on the electronics side they wouldn't even know how to achieve the classic sound if they wanted to.

Also I think he is confused about the physics of our known universe. Small speaker drivers have limitations and disadvantages that come with their advantages. There's no free lunch, everything has compromise (even if it's mostly sheer size). But to that effect one would also have to recognize that innovation tends to be very limited because of very simple physics that we cannot change.

Reactions: Bobvin

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
New blingster hates old bling. Cursed presumption that 'new' is always better than old, marketing casualties.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think this excerpt sums it up:

“Is it simply nostalgia that keeps these things alive? Or, as I am starting to believe, the fact that the path that mainstream hi-fi has taken, where ultimate performance is sacrificed at the altar of convenience and lifestyle, has left a small but significant minority feeling short-changed? Are these people reverting back to the kinds of products that got them interested in hi-fi in the first place? It certainly looks that way – and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

It does, however, have us questioning where the future path of hi-fi is heading. What I’d like to see hi-fi manufacturers do is to take a long look at the products they make and consider whether they are fit for purpose. A bursting features list and the kind of styling that would find its way into a Wallpaper magazine photoshoot is good, but does the product really connect the listener to the music? If it doesn’t, that product serves no real purpose. After all, the reason people spend money, time and effort on hi-fi is so they can listen to music they love in the best way they can access.”

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It strikes me that the primary purpose of this article is not to offer some revelation about the state of the audio industry, or to observe some reactionary trend by old coots seeking to reclaim their past, or to warn us that by rejecting modern advances we are actually entering some unknown territory. No, the primary purpose of this article is to be read.

I don't know which came first, the title or the contents, but I'm guessing it was the title. It is such an enticing hook, isn't it -- almost defining tabloid audio. "The dirty truth ... ." After that title it must have been relatively simple to assert that valve amplifiers, wooden cabinets, and record players are evidence of a fawning nostalgia or an aged reaction to transistors, svelte polymer cabinets or streaming bits from a satellite, all the while implying a dottering irrationality as if the whole audio hobby is collapsing in on itself by a lurch backwards.

Is it simply nostalgia that keeps these things alive? Or, as I am starting to believe, the fact that the path that mainstream hi-fi has taken, where ultimate performance is sacrificed at the altar of convenience and lifestyle, has left a small but significant minority feeling short-changed?

There is no logic in those words. Lifestyle and convenience are the provence of modernity. Why do they have a necessarily deleterious impact on performance? Ultimately the article poses no answers and offers no insight.

Why? Because it was written to be read. To occupy and draw attention from enough eyeballs in hopes of boosting page hits for its publisher sufficient to attract and hold advertisers. Looks like it might be working. :cool:

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Could have just paraphrased Basho...but that would be an awfully short article ;)

'Seek not to follow in the footsteps of men of old; seek what they sought." ?Matsuo Basho'

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Do you really care what his view is? I don't! Nothing he said is going to move me from enjoying tube amps, or CDs for that matter. And, if there was more available music on vinyl for the genre I mostly enjoy I'd reinsert my Clearaudio TT into one of my 2 systems

Reactions: Folsom

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Could have just paraphrased Basho...but that would be an awfully short article ;)

'Seek not to follow in the footsteps of men of old; seek what they sought." ?Matsuo Basho'

Bit of a strong come on making this single article stand against one of history's most recognized thoughtful examiners. ;)

"It's easy to make a buck. It's a lot tougher to make a difference." ?Tom Brokaw

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Just my 2 cents but I don't think that everything in audio needs to be subjected to a philosophical debate, especially when it comes to formats. To me, whatever format gives you the musical experience that you enjoy is what's best for you. For instance , folks like streaming for breath of available artists/titles, discovery of new music, convenience, etc. I don't have an interest in streaming, but I don't tell folks that they shouldn't go that path. Likewise, I don't worry if folks think that I am living in the past listening via CDs, it is my choice and as long as I enjoy my listening experience that is all that matters to me. The author is entitled to his opinion, but come the end of the day that is all it is his opinion and his preferences. More power to him if he is in the class D amplification and streaming mode and that suits him best . I'll continue to enjoy the amplification type and format mode that I employ. No great debate necessary IMHO

Reactions: Big Dog RJ and Gjo

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Article reminds me of the recent drivel about architects building with “listening rooms” in mind, when the article was really about interior designers repurposing some existing room with little attention to actual acoustics.

A puff piece — the author probably given a topic, word count, and deadline.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The German Importer of Mission, Wharfedale, Quad, Line Magnetics, Castle, Luxman and others is named : IAD
The author should have taken the time to get this right.

He should know a little bit about fashion (late 70‘th and 80‘th are back, „Stranger Things“ Netflix 4th season parties in 80‘th style are happening in all bigger cities) and furniture trends (shabby style) is dominating the hipster quarters of cities.

In some markets „Retro“ has developed into „Newtro“ , a new style, which uses elements of well known Designs and blends them with newest technology. I would call the new small full active online Mini Horn speakers from JBL as „Newtro“

The OMA brand as such in „Newtro“
(at least for me)

so there are a lot more angles to look into the new „old style“ products, which are launched during Munich 2022

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Bit of a strong come on making this single article stand against one of history's most recognized thoughtful examiners. ;)

"It's easy to make a buck. It's a lot tougher to make a difference." ?Tom Brokaw
Too true :)

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
.It is not so much nostalgia, but rather companies, (sic) holding companies who buy up venerable brand names, proceeding to re-introduce brands/models which resemble the historic gear mainly in their outward appearance. For example, let's take IAG with their re-introduction of Wharfeddale Lintons, Dentons, and Dovedales in name only. These speakers diverge from their original design, with which I take no exception, just give them their OWN names.

And then there's the line of Mission Speakers, another venerable British brand acquired by IAG. Who's to say how true they are to their original design. I know for one thing that the new Linton Stands and Mission 770 Stands have more in common than anything else. Look at them closely. Mission Speaker stands never looked like those, and for transparency's sake, I have owned original Wharfedale Dentons and Lintons as well as Mission 700s (white baffle) and I currently own a pair of Mission 727s (white baffle). I also personally know individuals who were with a number of brands IAG has acquired over the years and they are none too happy with how things have evolved. While LEAK is not mentioned in the piece, the look of the new models would make blind people shiver.

Bottom line, this has NOTHING to do with being infatuated with nostalgia, but rather the lack of creativity, and desire to cash in on a reputable brand and model name rather than the hard, honest work of designing, developing, and marketing a fresh new product, whose heritage lies in its present/future and definitely NOT a rear-view mirror.

Reactions: tima and Lagonda

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017

Always love your posts Erik, but you've outdone yourself on this one.... Basho... yes.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Given the high level of sound quality ARC is achieving these days, I find it curious that Ketan doesn’t recognize the real advances in tube amplifier design and sound.

• Wow
Reactions: leyenda

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I don't understand why vacuum tubes are considered retro or out-dated, when resistors, capacitors or transformers are not. Afterall, these other electronic components have been around for even longer, and all hi fi components use them. Transistors are not direct replacements for vacuum tubes, since they have different electrical characteristics, any more than batteries are replacements for capacitors. That's why tubes are used in many industrial applications. If you need to achieve a certain result that only tubes can give, you use tubes. Simple as that. As for loudspeaker designs, many "modern" designs are more for lifestyle reasons (smaller footprints, better fit with modern furniture etc.) and have nothing to do with advances in acoustical sciences.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That’s why, although I am impressed with the SOTA from the distant past, I really think taking those principles and applying them with a modern lens can yield stunning results. Speakers can be debated heavily ( I like modern horns but I know some here who will swear only old ones are any good) but for my preferred amp technology, SET, I would take a modern version over a refurbished 1930s amp every time. A grave mistake many audio engineers make is thinking everything old is obsolete…like the computer industry. In audio, some of the old ideas to get realistic sound are still the best but accumulated knowledge and technology in other areas can be harnessed to yield a better version of that idea. I find the shameless visual design ripoff of the past silly and amusing (look at Fyne make Tannoy Heritage knockoffs now….their own designs were way cooler looking). Silbatone is one great company marrying new with old…would love to try one of their amps at home one day…

Reactions: gleeds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing