The True Test Of The Shunyata Triton

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Sometimes you do not know how good something is till you no longer have it, or as in my case, while taking a 3 week vacation while new Shunyata products are being built for me. In this thread, that which is on hiatus is my Triton, which powered the entire front end of my system.

About a year ago, I began a wonderful exploration into the world of Shunyata Research. From the very first step, a Triton, with a Zitron Anaoncda 20 cord powering it, a Ziton Python PC for my amp and a bunch of Zitron Cobra PC's, and couple of Zitron Venon PC's, I was smitten and things were never the same. Sadly I never did the ultimate Triton test, removing it from the system to evaluate the PC's without the benefit of the Triton, because I could not go backward, or at least was afraid to go back.

I kept climbing up the Shunyata tree with commensurate improvements at each step. I also explored Shunyata Zitron signal cords, which were quite good, even better than the Kubala Sosna and Cardas IC's and digital cables in my system previously.

Until earlier today, I had climbed to a much higher branch on the Shunyata tree, running my system with 3 Zitron Anaconda's, a bunch of Alpha Digital cables and now a bunch of MIT MA-X IC's and digital cables, plus a pair of Matrix HD-60 speaker cables (necessitated by the Spectral). I also shifted some equipment with a new Spectral 260 and Meitner DAC, and a new Oppo 103 used as a transport.

Bottom line for a mere $100k or so, I had a system that rivaled many that cost considerably more and left just about everything at it's "reasonable" high end price in a state of embarrassment. Much of the performance of my system was attributable to the Shunyata products, although I did not know which truly made the difference because together they make a total system that is nothing short of amazing.

I am now making some changes in my PC's to generate some money so I can explore the wonder's of a Shunyata Typhon, allegedly truly the crown jewel of an amazing line of products for Shunyata (I have a wedding for 200 to pay for this August, so there is actually some audio financial restraint currently). While I found that I was able to sell my Anaconda's and Python's within 24 hours, I still have enough yet to be sold that I am able to run with most of my Shunyata PC's still installed, with one critical exception, the 20 Amp Zitron Anaconda that powered my Triton.

Prior to its removal today, the Triton powered everything in my system except my Spectral 260 and twin JL F113 subs that are plugged directly into dedicated 20 amp circuits with Shunyata SR-Z1 outlets and dedicated grounds. So although I could not bring myself to voluntarily do the Triton removal experiment, moving forward in as economical manner as possible left me no choice but to run without a Triton, at least temporarily.

I expected a step backward, even a big one, BUT I was not ready for the giant step back that occurred when the Triton was off line. The beautiful image that I had feel apart and compressed and moved backed massively. But, even more impressive was that my system no longer sounded real. It sounded like a system, albeit, still a good one, but clearly not real. My involvement was gone, or at least massively reduced.

It may be too soon to truly know, but the noise floor seems much higher, with its consequential loss of those all important audible cues that currently hide invisibly below the new swollen floor when the Triton is not inline.

I could go on and on, but it is too soon to make major proclamations. However, it seems undeniable that the Triton is not an option. While in my mind it is undeniably essential, prior to it's installation, it was almost impossible to envision the massive improvement that occurs in all aspects of the system. I can only imagine what adding the Typhon will do, of course after getting the Triton back on line.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I am not surprised at your findings. I know firsthand how important removal of electronic noise from a system is. The difference between my Berkeley DAC straight out of the wall or through my Tice power conditioner is huge -- every time I read comments about the Berkeley DAC not being a top-notch performer I am wondering about the power conditioning in the system where it was auditioned. The recent addition of external BorderPatrol power supplies for my amps has again shown how crucial the removal of electronic noise is, see also my review of those power supplies linked in my signature.

My next upgrade will definitely be a Shunyata Triton, also because it is only a matter of time before my 23 year old (!) mighty Tice Power Block II dies. I expect it to be significantly better than the already excellent Tice; I will audition it at home first, but I assume this will be merely a formality.

From my recent experiences I have come to the conclusion that the removal of acoustic noise (through room treatment) and of electronic noise should be the foundation of any serious system. Everything else is secondary. As long as you have noise, your system will never sound real regardless of how good your individual components are. This seems to be your observation too.

It's logical since unamplified live sound does not suffer from artificial noise, except when the acoustics of the venue are subpar. So how can you expect emulation of the real thing in the presence of artificial noise, which is far more pervading that most realize?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
It is now about 18 hours since I rehooked up my system sans Triton. Much of the annealing has taken place and thus there is a bit more smoothness than I reported yesterday, BUT otherwise my comments stand. What I will add is that my desire to sit and listen is SO off, because the excitement and the ability to move me somewhere other than reality is plain and simple gone.

My system is just that, a system. The "take me somewhere" else factor is gone. You would be hard pressed to get this much change for the same money with a component change. The Typhon is supposedly better when plugged into a Triton, so I am optimistic that my "transporter" will be working again soon.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It is now about 18 hours since I rehooked up my system sans Triton. Much of the annealing has taken place and thus there is a bit more smoothness than I reported yesterday, BUT otherwise my comments stand. What I will add is that my desire to sit and listen is SO off, because the excitement and the ability to move me somewhere other than reality is plain and simple gone.

My system is just that, a system. The "take me somewhere" else factor is gone. You would be hard pressed to get this much change for the same money with a component change. The Typhon is supposedly better when plugged into a Triton, so I am optimistic that my "transporter" will be working again soon.

As a Triton owner...I am sorry you had to take yours out !! And chance you can shave a few guests off the wedding list? You know...who is really going to miss Uncle Bert :)

Just kidding...sometimes we don't know how much we appreciate something until it is gone...this is true in audio and possibly in life...

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Fortunately, the Triton is still present, but it is temporarily without a power cord and I do not have have any lesser 20 A cords. It is awaiting a 20 Alpha HC which will hopefully bring equal quality life back into everything plugged into it. There will be a new sibling plugged into the Triton team that I am eagerly awaiting, a Typhon, which as I stated, Caelin thinks is the single best product that Shunyata has ever made. He describes it as magical, which parallels what many have said on this forum. Besides, I have to get one so that Steve Williams will stop telling me what I am missing, although he had to listen to me say the same thing for several months about the Triton and the cords until he finally drank the kook-aid.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Fortunately, the Triton is still present, but it is temporarily without a power cord and I do not have have any lesser 20 A cords. It is awaiting a 20 Alpha HC which will hopefully bring equal quality life back into everything plugged into it. There will be a new sibling plugged into the Triton team that I am eagerly awaiting, a Typhon, which as I stated, Caelin thinks is the single best product that Shunyata has ever made. He describes it as magical, which parallels what many have said on this forum. Besides, I have to get one so that Steve Williams will stop telling me what I am missing, although he had to listen to me say the same thing for several months about the Triton and the cords until he finally drank the kook-aid.

I have a Typhon...I love my daughter. She'll have to invite less to her wedding for sure. The Typhon is a really special piece...

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have a Typhon...I love my daughter. She'll have to invite less to her wedding for sure. The Typhon is a really special piece...

I just ordered a Typhon on Friday, while I have had a Triton for 2-3 years. I am looking forward to this addition, perhaps a little to much. I have read so much good stuff about the Typhon my expectations might be a bit to high. :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
With regards to women, marriage, and weddings, I have deleted my mental post before I ever wrote it. I'm afraid the PC Police would taser me and send me off to PC sensitivity training for years.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
With regards to women, marriage, and weddings, I have deleted my mental post before I ever wrote it. I'm afraid the PC Police would taser me and send me off to PC sensitivity training for years.

+1. like2x

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I just ordered a Typhon on Friday, while I have had a Triton for 2-3 years. I am looking forward to this addition, perhaps a little to much. I have read so much good stuff about the Typhon my expectations might be a bit to high. :)

bluefox- you're in for a treat. I had my triton for about a year before I added the typhon. at first you'll be ok that's nice but a lot of $'s. then after about 2-4 weeks you won't be able to listen without it...ever.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
bluefox- you're in for a treat. I had my triton for about a year before I added the typhon. at first you'll be ok that's nice but a lot of $'s. then after about 2-4 weeks you won't be able to listen without it...ever.

The first listen with a Typhon was for me, my ears and my system nothing short of revelatory

Steve Williams

You got off lucky. Steve keeps telling me I need 3 Typhons, not just one!

I did. So does Russ. I started with the one on my Triton and then joined the lunatic fringe with two more

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I did. So does Russ. I started with the one on my Triton and then joined the lunatic fringe with two more
Hey buddy, I understand your recommendation for me because I have monoblocs, but Russ has the Spectral 260. So aside from one for his preamp, does he need one more for each half of his stereo amplifier? Now, that would truly re-define the meaning of the Shunyata lunatic fringe ;)

Steve Williams

Hey buddy, I understand your recommendation for me because I have monoblocs, but Russ has the Spectral 260. So aside from one for his preamp, does he need one more for each half of his stereo amplifier? Now, that would truly re-define the meaning of the Shunyata lunatic fringe ;)

ahhh. I thought Russ had monoblocks

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Sadly,

Russ would really like mono block Spectral 400's. Marty's 400's make the otherwise incredible 260 sound just real nice, but as a man with a wedding to pay for, one Typhon will do for starters.

Oh, I just thought of way to save on one of the proposed additional 2 Typhons. Maybe if I buy Sasha 2's I won't need the extra power due to the the 92 db sensitivity. Then all I will have to do is by the the Spectral 300 to get the RS sound of the 400's So thus far, I will have spent $35k+ to save on buying an extra Typhon I do not need plus the additional 6K for the amp Typhon. Spend 41K to save 6K--sounds like audiophile logic to me. But here is the real audiophile logic/addiction. Buy the Alexia's for 48K, a pair of 400's for 28K, two more Typhon's for 12K, and, I forgot, another power cord for the additional amp. So that makes $88K less the trade in for the 260---What a bargain, although I am sure it would sound incredible, and then I could say that I have a mid level high end system instead of my low level high end system!!

Good thing I am a psychiatrist because I need my services!!!!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
ahhh. I thought Russ had monoblocks

All you guys just came back from vaca in Mexico and apparently were not discussing audio... what's wrong with this picture :D Some lunatic fringe...

Steve Williams

All you guys just came back from vaca in Mexico and apparently were not discussing audio... what's wrong with this picture :D Some lunatic fringe...

that's all we discussed for a good amount of time there. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing