Dishonesty in the Roof Coatings Industry

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
In 2017, I finished a 14 year renovation of my roof (new joists included).

I was looking into putting down a final top cover of EPDM rubber. Had one place lined up and a friend to help, but what killed the project is the roofing supplier said his boom truck operator was sick. After months of runaround, I moved on.

Found a company called EPDM Coatings that offered a product with a primer coat that was for asphalt roofs like mine. It consisted of Pro-Flex Primer and then EPDM liquid rubber.

The primer was to be applied and 48 hours later the rubber gets applied while the primer is still sticky. Followed the procedure and finally had a waterproof roof with a 30 year guaranty.

2 years later, I find some of the EPDM has pockets of water under it and was billowing up. Noticed it flapping when I blew the leaves off with a blower. Contacted the company. To make a long story short, I'm out $4700 for that product. They didn't stand behind their warranty. I even contacted many lawyers and none of them would return my calls after giving details of the case.

So in 2021, in Home Depot, I see a new product, Henry Tropicool 887, white silicone roof coating. It says "lifetime guarantee" on the package. I ended up buying 8 buckets of it for about $2300 and re coating my entire root. This time, it's not gonna have anymore problems, I thought.

Then this April, we had a brief ten minute downpour and a day later, water was leaking from the light fixtures in the livingroom ceiling. So I go up on the roof and I find there's a good sized area where the new 3/4" pressure treated plywood is soft when I walk on it.

3 weeks ago, I had suitable weather so I got to work and cut out 64 sf of roof decking. Found out my pressure treated joists were starting to rot too. Had to cut out the rot, treat with copper Napthanate (now over $70/gal) and lay in new 2x12 sections to shore up the rotting joists. $1200 in materials (Tropicool is now up to $470 for a bucket) spent to fix it. While I was re coating, I found three geysers of water spouting from three pinholes in the Tropicool silicone layer. Leak found. But other parts of the roof have bigger holes in the coating.

So now I'm in a battle with Henry Company to get them to replace the product. I don't have $4000 for 8 more buckets of the stuff, but if I don't recoat the roof before winter, more of my roof will get destroyed. And I'm too old to be going up on roofs now.

Reactions: Bso and Lxgreen

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Hey Mark - sorry to hear about this. I'm waiting for the insurance company to make me get a new roof!
Thank you for your concern. I got this much out of Henry Co. They sent me two pails of 887 white roof coating and two 0.9 gallon cans of the leak stopper. So I can't cover the whole roof, but will have to deal with the worst parts in spring. Can't do now because of leaves falling on the roof.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing