The Science of noise reduction

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It would make one positively humongous and long sausage that would make the Hunt brothers drool!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
From a recent Keith Armstrong article:

"Fundamentals of EMC Design: Our Products Are Trying To Help Us"
Author : Keith Armstrong, Cherry Clough Consultants
04/03/2012
- See more at: http://www.interferencetechnology.c...are-trying-to-help-us-3/#sthash.WSDH8rql.dpuf

View attachment 16383

View attachment 16384

It is well known that EMI reduction is a problem in PCB circuit design. The braided flat cable pictured is the best conduit for EMI. Thanks for posting.

The terminology can get confusing can't it. Is it "ground" or not "ground". My only thought is that EMI is part of electrical current,EMI can and will travel a path of least resistence and if that pathway is back to ground,I think it's just a matter of semantics. Another point is that those flat braided cables are terminated to the equipments structure(rack) which is tied to ground.Another observation the flat braid cable is his pathway away from the electronics, whether it is in a loop it is still diverts the EMI away from the device. Same principle I use.

http://electronicdesign.com/boards/grounding-technique-quells-emi-fast-processors

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I recieved a PM from another member and asked me to define what noise i am talking about. The best audio explanation I could find was this statement from Walter Fields of NBS cable.

"Another source of noise is Electromagnetic Interference (EMI). Whenever electricity, i.e., an audio signal, passes through a wire, it produces inductance that creates an electromagnetic field. Because EMI manifests itself at a high frequency, it is commonly believed not to interfere with the audible range of frequencies. However, all frequencies demonstrate harmonic structures. Even if the cause of EMI is outside the audible range, the upper and lower harmonics of a given frequency often present themselves within the audible range. At the very least, EMI causes degradation of audio frequencies."- Walter Fields NBS Cable

So he was pleased with my answer and in fact he has his equipment rack mounted and star grounded. :)

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
For roger

Hi Roger - here's the outlet

John

P7110021.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing