The Role Of A Dog In The Listening Experience

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
christmas myrt.jpg myrt sunroof 3.jpg
?Most of us on this forum talk and obsess about our listening experiences and what we do to try to enhance them. It seems to me that while we use many of the same words, we each experience a uniquely individual sensory and emotional total experience that goes way beyond our equipment and source material.

During the past 2 years my life has been changed radically by the introduction of my girlfriend Ginny and her yellow lab Myrtle into my life. During this time, Myrt became very attached to me, essentially adopting me as her father, and thus the three of us spent a lot of time together, engaged in many collective activities. Since both Ginny and I have music on in our homes essentially all of the time, music became part of our collective three-way experience.

As part of the resulting life change by their becoming part of my life, my connection with my audio system and how I experience music has also changed, for the better. I focus more on the overall experience, whether playing discs, music server or TV, and care less about my system, as long as it is “engaging”. My sense of what is “engaging” has evolved, helping me focus more on the overall experience than what to buy next or how to tweak what I already have.

Since Myrt was so attached to me, she rarely would allow herself to be more than 2-3 feet from me whenever I sat down, and frequently had to be touching me. Since my single most common place to sit in home is my “listening chair”, Myrt spent a lot of time listening with me, and actually became part of my overall listening experience. While she never commented on the music or the quality of my system unless it was too loud, the only time when she would bark until I lowered the volume, I now realize she always had an impact on how I experienced my interaction with the system and the source material. The only thing that made listening better with Myrt was when Ginny was also sitting in my lap while listening.

Myrtle was 11 when she died three days ago from an aggressive tumor that was diagnosed about 4 months ago. Unlike most cancers, the quality of her life was essentially unaltered as the cancer spread, allowing her to be her happy loving self until the moment she died. Knowing she was going to die soon, Ginny and I made the conscious decision to try to insure that no minute was wasted and tried to enjoy our threesome as much as possible. This decision made me focus more on Myrt’s and my listening experiences and what really mattered.

Now that Myrtle is gone, naturally Ginny and I are devastated, as most dog lovers are when their “best friend” dies. Like all major life changes, many aspects of one’s life are altered, although frequently many of these changes go unnoticed due to distractions like grief or because the linkage was subliminal.

During the last three days Myrt has not been with me when I sit in my listening chair, regardless of whether my system is on or off. It is just not the same because something is missing. Even though my system sounds better than it ever has and gives me great joy because of how it contributes to my involvement with the source material, it is not the same.

Something critical is missing and it cannot be bought and inserted into the components. I have a new Shunyata Sigma Digital PC that I was eager to plug into my DAC on the day that Myrt died after 3 weeks of burn in on a fan. It is still on the fan. As has happened more than 20 times during the past couple of years of essentially non-stop Shunyata PC and distribution burn-ins and upgrades, I could not wait to get home to add the next piece to the puzzle and evaluate the changes and experience being closer to the music. Somehow it did not matter when I returned home Wednesday night.

No doubt the Sigma Digital PC will make a very positive difference because Caelin is a wizard and both Marty and Steve have already done this experiment and have shared their experiences with me and raved elsewhere on this forum. But the part of the experience I am missing, will still be absent.

So why am I making this post on WBF? No doubt I am writing this partially because it is helping me with my grieving Myrt’s passing, and also to share the reminder that the experience is more important than the components.

If your system is amazing, share it with someone you care about, even if it is your dog!

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What an absolutely heart-warming post and a solid reminder that the system is only a part of the overall listening experience and not really the main driving force, but rather the engine that makes it possible to move forward. Having lost a pet myself on several occasions I fully understand your loss and know that you must be hurting. My condolences and stay strong.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Russ, my condolences on your loss of "family". We have a female Vizla named Copper who is always by my side whilst listening. Like Myrtle before passing, Copper is nearing the end of being with us as well. She has a hard time keeping her hind end up, is half blind and I would swear half deaf as well. We appreciate every moment we still have with her as she's been such a good dog to us. I mentioned to my wife that we should crank up the stereo today (been extremely busy lately and haven't even fired her up in about 3 weeks) while we work on the house and her response was, "That sounds like a great idea!". So, it looks like I will be sharing my experience with both my "ladies" and my son today.

Thanks for sharing, I know Myrtle will be missed.

Tom

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Russ,

So sorry for your loss. What a beautiful dog. She seemed so gentle. We've lost some best friends along the way. It can be devastating. Thank you for sharing.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As I was reading your post, it was with much happiness to here from another dog lover who enjoys the interaction with the same. The you hit me with the brick wall with her passing. Lump in the throat, tears welling up in my eyes. Why? Our two dogs are only 1.5 years old and often I wonder what we would do if something happened to one of them. It takes huge amount of work to take care of them but should they be gone, it will all be sadness. What remarkable ability these animals have in getting you to love them and be attached to them.

Glad to see you sharing your experience with us Russ. As I am typing this, the lump in the throat is easing and the eyes starting to dry. Sharing emotions is something was males we don't do enough of it. But it absolutely is necessary. My deepest condolences to you and your girlfriend. Best advice I have is to hug each other and tight....

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Russ,
Thanks for sharing. We had to help our 13 yo Cavalier King Charles pass on New Years Eve 2 years ago, and yes, he did hang with me some in the man cave. pets are family, and their presence adds so much. The loss will always be there, but the sadness gives way to grins in their remembrance with time. Hang in there.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
So sorry for the loss and share everything you spoke about 100%.

Glad you had a place to cyber vent, take your time to heal we are not going anywhere.

We are animal lovers too, both kinds and understand what you are going through.

Audioclyde

Jul 1, 2011
Condolences Russ and thanks for sharing. I sit here this evening after having to have our 15 year old "Kirby" (Lhasa apso) put to sleep this morning. While my listening partner, a 4 yr old Shitzsu that is plastered to me every minute I'm home, is here with me, I can tell that she feels our grief and is missing her buddy.

For us dog/pet lovers, these times are tough. These two little 'foo foo' dogs (as my grown son jokingly calls them) have been a huge part of my wife and I making it through some family tragedies these past few years.

My best,

Randy

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Condolences Russ and thanks for sharing. I sit here this evening after having to have our 15 year old "Kirby" (Lhasa apso) put to sleep this morning. While my listening partner, a 4 yr old Shitzsu that is plastered to me every minute I'm home, is here with me, I can tell that she feels our grief and is missing her buddy.
Your post really hit home Randy as we too had a Lhasa and Shitzu! My sincere condolences to you also.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
View attachment 19389 View attachment 19390
?Most of us on this forum talk and obsess about our listening experiences and what we do to try to enhance them. It seems to me that while we use many of the same words, we each experience a uniquely individual sensory and emotional total experience that goes way beyond our equipment and source material.

During the past 2 years my life has been changed radically by the introduction of my girlfriend Ginny and her yellow lab Myrtle into my life. During this time, Myrt became very attached to me, essentially adopting me as her father, and thus the three of us spent a lot of time together, engaged in many collective activities. Since both Ginny and I have music on in our homes essentially all of the time, music became part of our collective three-way experience.

As part of the resulting life change by their becoming part of my life, my connection with my audio system and how I experience music has also changed, for the better. I focus more on the overall experience, whether playing discs, music server or TV, and care less about my system, as long as it is “engaging”. My sense of what is “engaging” has evolved, helping me focus more on the overall experience than what to buy next or how to tweak what I already have.

Since Myrt was so attached to me, she rarely would allow herself to be more than 2-3 feet from me whenever I sat down, and frequently had to be touching me. Since my single most common place to sit in home is my “listening chair”, Myrt spent a lot of time listening with me, and actually became part of my overall listening experience. While she never commented on the music or the quality of my system unless it was too loud, the only time when she would bark until I lowered the volume, I now realize she always had an impact on how I experienced my interaction with the system and the source material. The only thing that made listening better with Myrt was when Ginny was also sitting in my lap while listening.

Myrtle was 11 when she died three days ago from an aggressive tumor that was diagnosed about 4 months ago. Unlike most cancers, the quality of her life was essentially unaltered as the cancer spread, allowing her to be her happy loving self until the moment she died. Knowing she was going to die soon, Ginny and I made the conscious decision to try to insure that no minute was wasted and tried to enjoy our threesome as much as possible. This decision made me focus more on Myrt’s and my listening experiences and what really mattered.

Now that Myrtle is gone, naturally Ginny and I are devastated, as most dog lovers are when their “best friend” dies. Like all major life changes, many aspects of one’s life are altered, although frequently many of these changes go unnoticed due to distractions like grief or because the linkage was subliminal.

During the last three days Myrt has not been with me when I sit in my listening chair, regardless of whether my system is on or off. It is just not the same because something is missing. Even though my system sounds better than it ever has and gives me great joy because of how it contributes to my involvement with the source material, it is not the same.

Something critical is missing and it cannot be bought and inserted into the components. I have a new Shunyata Sigma Digital PC that I was eager to plug into my DAC on the day that Myrt died after 3 weeks of burn in on a fan. It is still on the fan. As has happened more than 20 times during the past couple of years of essentially non-stop Shunyata PC and distribution burn-ins and upgrades, I could not wait to get home to add the next piece to the puzzle and evaluate the changes and experience being closer to the music. Somehow it did not matter when I returned home Wednesday night.

No doubt the Sigma Digital PC will make a very positive difference because Caelin is a wizard and both Marty and Steve have already done this experiment and have shared their experiences with me and raved elsewhere on this forum. But the part of the experience I am missing, will still be absent.

So why am I making this post on WBF? No doubt I am writing this partially because it is helping me with my grieving Myrt’s passing, and also to share the reminder that the experience is more important than the components.

If your system is amazing, share it with someone you care about, even if it is your dog!

just saw this...my sincerest Heart felt condolences. A fantastic post and wonderfully said..despite sad circumstances.

I am a dog fanatic..and we just adopted an amazing dog 3 months ago.

She is my second and enjoys sitting in front of me while I work and listen to my system.

When my first dog passed away at age 15 i consoled my self...over many, many months with the notion I gave her a very comfortable and loving home during her sweet short life.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I'm very sorry to hear about your dog's passing.

They truly are members of the family.

audiosessions

Dec 29, 2010
Chatsworth California
I'm very sorry to hear about your dog's passing.

They truly are members of the family.

I wanted to share my own experience with all.

We had Mordy or Yorkie for only 8 short years. With health issues brought on by excessive shots, Immunization, Steroids, etc. That caused a Hormone Imbalance. After 100 days of low dose Steroids that were prescibed to help balance the Hormone levels, caused Pancreatitis. Mordy was near death and was saved by Dr Dodds. After plasma transfusions in July 2011. We stoped Daily Steroids cold turkey and switched to Moducare Vet that helps to balance the immune response. Over or under active when the body attacks it self. My sister is taking Moducare daily after a bout with Cancer. Moducare gave us another 2 years with Mordy before his Kidneys gave out.

I had Visitations from Mordy over a 5 month period after his passing. The last was in December 2013.
My wife had the Flu and when I came home from work I walked to the Bathroom and when I turned my head I saw my wife walk out of the bedroom and a black shadow in the shape of Mordy walked out after her then disappeared in the hallway. Later that night while I was sleeping I saw Mordy in black and white while my eyes were closed give me a kiss good bye.

We miss Mordy every day. But we know that Mordy is in good hands with my wifes Father and all the other dogs with have lost in the past.

[Attachment(s) from LAWRENCE CARMEL included below]

Hi!

My husband Lawrence has asked me to share my visitation experience with you.
At about 4:30 a.m. this morning, 7/10/2013 I had a very vivid dream where I saw Mordy running through a grassy field. He was running very fast and had a smile on his face. The message that I got from him was that he is very happy that he is now able to run. He missed being able to run. He also told me that when he was in his body here on earth, he wanted to stay because all he knew was that he loved us and didn't want to leave us. Now, in hind sight - he had no idea of how it would be when he crossed over. He had no idea that he would get his healthy body back; and therefore he thanks us for setting him free. Right after the dream, I woke up because I felt a warmth and a slight movement of the blanket.

Thanks for all of the support that you given to Lawrence.

Sincerely,
Jaqlin Carmel

----- Original Message -----
To: SARDSdogs@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 8:50 PM
Subject: Mordy has crossed over to The Rainbow Bridge

Dear Friends,

We picked Mordy up from the hospital at 10:00 a.m. this morning. We had the vet give him an injection of pain medication to last the entire day. We spent the day with him. He felt very calm & relaxed (with sedatives) at home. We took pictures, laid with him, talked to him, and said our good-byes. The mobile vet arrived around 6:30 p.m. She gave him the 2 injections and he went very quickly. He is now at peace and out of pain. I was able to carry him out to her car. She also made us a clay paw print. She will inscribe Mordy's name and bake it and return it along with his ashes. Thank you for all of your continued support.

Sincerely,
Lawrence Carmel

__._,_.___
Attachment(s) from LAWRENCE CARMEL

3 of 3 Photo(s)

Mordy July 9 2013 Last Day at Home 10AM-7PM 042.jpgMordy July 9 2013 Last Day at Home 10AM-7PM 024.jpgMordy July 9 2013 Last Day at Home 10AM-7PM 036.jpgReply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Recent Activity: New Members 1
Visit Your Group
Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send us Feedback .

__,_._,___

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gosh. I can't fathom the poor Yorkie going through that daily "treatment." And the suffering that brought to you all to take her through it. "Thankfully" it is no more and the end was peaceful. That and stroking our Samoyed who is sleeping next to me are the only thing that are helping me get through the sad feeling this story brings. I am hoping that sharing the story with the rest of us in some way is helpful in bringing back the good memories and ease the pain of not so good ones....

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I just saw this post and reading it brought me to tears. We went on vacation two weeks ago (out of country) and returned to a phone call from our vet: my black Lab had died while were gone. She was my closest companion for over 10 years and spent all day every day with me in my car before I retired. I have yet to recover from this loss and feel greatly for the OP's loss. Dogs give a special meaning to life. As my last Pastor said, "If there are no dogs in Heaven, I don't want to go".

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I am so sorry for your losses. I am still trying to come to grips with Myrtle being gone for 6 weeks and its impact on Ginny and me. While I was lucky to be one of the Tres Amigos on our NW jaunt a week ago, I must admit that listening to music has not been quite the same since her passing.

Dogs remind us about what humans could be because their love is unconditional!!

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
Sincere condolences to all who have lost beloved pets! I am included though not recently... Spiritualists tell us that our dogs and cats do meet us on the other side, very painful now though.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Unfortunately, Ginny and I suffered another pet loss yesterday, with the death of her cat Bella who was the last vestige of her mom. The cat was in a lot of pain and thus in some ways it was a blessing. Since the cat had no interest in being with me when I listened to music, I doubt that this will impact my listening experience as Myrtle's death did. Bella's death will, however, continue to remind to try to make every minute count as much as possible.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing