The pros and cons of manufacturer/dealer/designer participation

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
A comment came up in another thread in which the author suggested that manufacturers can benefit from user feedback about various products from discussions on forum threads. I can understand how this would happen, but it is not always that simple. I responded with this post:

I have auditioned products both in my own system and systems belonging to friends. I have then contacted the designer/dealer/manufacturer who was not always very appreciative of the negative feedback telling me that it would not be fair to him if I described my experience with his product on a public forum.

Given these responses, I now hesitate to provide such feedback on public forums. I provided all feedback in private. The result is that the forum reading public never gets to read the negative comments, especially if the designer is an active member of the forum. I have learned to be less candid than I would otherwise be because of this. There are also not so subtle warnings on posts that negative comments can hurt the livelihood of the designer, etc. etc. All of this stifles open and honest (candid) discussion. (IMHO)

I guess this is the trade-off for having manufacturers/designers/dealers participate in the discussions. Their contributions can be very insightful, but perhaps their participation stifles the sharing of candid opinions if those opinions are somewhat less than positive.

A member responded to me with this post, but rather than respond to him again and take that thread further off topic, I opened a new thread to share opinions about this topic.

The main question raised by your post is what is meant by negative feedback? Violent bashing? Meaningless comments such as XXX is much better than YYY? IMHO this type of comment is of no use in audio forums.

However if negative feedback is simply telling with enough detail why such component did not please our preference or was a poor match in our particular system I think than we always have space for an open and honest discussion.

For me system building is essentially matching equipment in a way that it pleases our preferences and listening room.
Surely we have space for success and unsuccessful moves. Just an example - the debate on subs in Steve system had a logical conclusion - his room had no space for subs, no one put negatives on the JLAudio excellent equipment.

Please feel free to tell us about your experiences.

I wish it were that simple. I'm not talking about violent bashing or meaningless comments, but rather honest, open user feedback submitted behind the scenes directly to the designer/manufacturer/dealer. Some products are routinely slammed on WBF as long as their designers are not active participants. Products designed or represented by members, are treated differently, perhaps more kindly. This is understandable, given that we all want to get along, but does this benefit the reader?

Given this environment, I do not feel comfortable sharing my negative experiences with particular products on this forum because the parties involved are members, just like I am. I simply brought this subject up in response to a designer's recent comment that user feedback from forum discussions can be helpful to the designer. I see this, but my point is that not all user feedback is shared on the forum, particularly if it is negative, because of potential consequences to both the user and the designer, especially if they are both active participants on the forum.

I am now less than completely candid with some of my own experiences given the reaction I received behind the scenes. Basically, I was the "only one" to not think this product was fantastic, etc. etc. (Of course, so were my audio buddies who heard the same things I heard). Or the product was not fully broken in, or not set up right.

Is it a matter of preferences or "system synergy"? It certainly can be, but why dismiss it as such? It might also be something inherent in the product, especially if it was experienced by the same listeners in different systems or by different listeners in the same system. My private contact with the manufacturer/designer/dealer with helpful user feedback became more a criticism of me and my testing methodology or my taste, rather than what the product was actually doing in the various systems.

So I ask, have we really created an environment for open and honest discussions of audio products when I get these reactions to private communications? Image the response if I commented publicly. Perhaps the answer is that it is not perfect, but it is the best that we can do because we want industry representation on the forum. That is fine, and I get that, but the audiophile is not really presented with "the rest of the story" for a more balanced perspective.

This is a bit like discussions about professional reviews and the interests of the readers versus the advertisers. I hope this topic is not too controversial to discuss here.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Peter, if there is system synergy, you will get feedback about that. For example if you say a certain speaker did not sound good with a 20w amp, there will be many posts that follow saying how the amp was incorrect and what the correct type of amps should be. Observe the feedback to kodomo on vdh set up.

In some cases, it will be a preference.

In many cases, there are clear pluses and minuses which are not fed back here. The only argument against such feedback is that it will be lost among those who genuinely want to feedback, and adding the keyboard warriors or those who have an agenda. But I do agree constructive feedback is not enough on this forum, and also there are too many sham products overpriced.

This is not a regulated industry where there is an official body checking what is being sold to consumers. In that case, this should be free market regulated, in which case consumers should provide sufficient negative feedback

Reactions: bazelio and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I am all for honest feedback. Manufacturers and dealers are welcome to advertise/defend their products here, and many a product would probably
not have made it to the marketplace without this forum. Super expensive
grounding boxes, TT’s, cables and isolation racks have a limited client
pool, and a lot of us are swimming around here .
Why should we hold back on feedback if it happens to be negative ?
I have learned to look at the poster before accepting feedback as absolute
truth. Is he easily excited, or does he maybe have an ulterior motive or alternative
product to promote ? Please bring your honest feedback, it’s our best
chance to make purchasing and setup decisions :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think you should provide honest feedback, whether the manufacturer is a member or not. In my speaker thread, I give positives and negatives which at times stirs the pot with owners. I'm not going to "PeterB it." Now, at the same time I constructively criticize and don't say "hate" or "sucks" or stuff like that - doesn't help anyone on the forum.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Given this environment, I do not feel comfortable sharing my negative experiences with particular products on this forum because the parties involved are members, just like I am. I simply brought this subject up in response to a designer's recent comment that user feedback from forum discussions can be helpful to the designer. I see this, but my point is that not all user feedback is shared on the forum, particularly if it is negative, because of potential consequences to both the user and the designer, especially if they are both active participants on the forum.

I am now less than completely candid with some of my own experiences given the reaction I received behind the scenes. Basically, I was the "only one" to not think this product was fantastic, etc. etc. (Of course, so were my audio buddies who heard the same things I heard). Or the product was not fully broken in, or not set up right.

Is it a matter of preferences or "system synergy"? It certainly can be, but why dismiss it as such? It might also be something inherent in the product, especially if it was experienced by the same listeners in different systems or by different listeners in the same system. My private contact with the manufacturer/designer/dealer with helpful user feedback became more a criticism of me and my testing methodology or my taste, rather than what the product was actually doing in the various systems. (....)

Peter,

Are you addressing just negative experiences - products that you did not enjoy in your system - or products you feel are flawed or a fraud?

Reactions: DaveC

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's my current thinking and practice on this issue:

1) If you bought something, feel free to discuss anything you want about it
2) Shows: say whatever you want
3) Everything else, be cautious about what you write, and diplomatically discuss in public mostly what you liked about what you heard - simply because your preferences and ways of hearing may not apply to anyone else - and keep the negatives contained; all of this delivers you from lying, while it selectively tells a truth

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
To further complicate this issue, I think that manufacturer/designer participation is quite different from dealer/distributor participation.

I'm not in favour of two or three thread divisions per manufacturer but I would like to see a voluntary "head of post" disclosure simply stating
"MAGICO MANUFACTURER" or "MAGICO DEALER" - whilst admitting the likelihood of this is low.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) 1) If you bought something, feel free to discuss anything you want about it (...)

Nice, I can discuss a lot ... :cool:

Reactions: christoph

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have no problems with designers, manufacturers or dealers participating in this forum provided they declare such interests.
They do regularlly make valuable contributions to our dialogue and it is down to us to consider what weight to attach to their views having regard to their roles within the audio industry.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
All depends on the "attitude" of this "group". If they can discuss differences of opinion in a respectful, constructive manner, I'm all for it. Unfortunately, I have seen instances on this forum over the years that carry an air of arrogance, defensiveness and superiority when a member of this "group" receives comments that are contrary to their personal beliefs.

Reactions: NorthStar

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I would prefer to see dealers, distributors, manufacturers given the title "Member of the Trade" rather than "Industry Expert" here on the forum. The former is a more accurate and informative designation, while the latter is presumptive. I also think that any dealer, distributor, or manufacturer *should* have the MOT title without exception.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I would prefer to see dealers, distributors, manufacturers given the title "Member of the Trade" rather than "Industry Expert" here on the forum. The former is a more accurate and informative designation, while the latter is presumptive. I also think that any dealer, distributor, or manufacturer *should* have the MOT title without exception.

Excellent suggestion, and I agree that "Industry Expert" is a presumptive description; for that reason I never liked it even though I never formulated that dislike in my mind the way you so aptly did.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

Are you addressing just negative experiences - products that you did not enjoy in your system - or products you feel are flawed or a fraud?

Francisco, I am a addressing the difficulty of being candid in a discussion about a product designed or sold by members of the forum. There can be all sorts of reasons for auditioning a product and deciding not to buy it. Could be user error, failure to follow instructions, or ineptitude. I'm sure I'm guilty of all of those. Could be the product has a sonic character that one does not like. Could be there is a "system synergy" issue. Could be the product when auditioned as recommended turns out to do the exact opposite of what is claimed in the marketing campaign. I am sure there are other possibilities as well. That is not the point I am trying to make, (ineloquently, it turns out).

I am trying to describe my impressions from a few conversations I had with designers/manufacturers/dealers when I provided what I thought was user feedback after an audition period. Rather than going into details, I will just say that the conversations turned from being about the product, to being about me. This is when I learned not to share my views of these products on the forum.

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, this is a fantastic thread, and really relevant.

I recently trialled two sets of footers to go under my Zus. Both from companies w no active manufacturer involvement on WBF. I felt it was totally ok to be open critically, but this tempered by constructive comments, about both products. So both were described for the positives they brought to my sound, and I then went on to describe the shortcomings of the one I didn't choose. I was actively aware not to trash the one that didn't win out here, just to contrast where it didn't quite hit the mark.

However if both of these products had active designer participation here, I may well have felt extremely uncomfortable in using the same words, and may have just edited my findings to only talk about the product I in the end kept.

Like you, I'm not sure if this is at all healthy. Sure, readers will fully get an impression of the product being enthusiastically reviewed. But it's often the descriptions of contrasts btwn rival products that tell us more.

Not possible if we're gonna self-censor.

Indeed, I was planning to A/B products from two highly visible competitors here, and had I gone ahead and discovered a winner, I'd have talked about it. But would not have mentioned a word about comparisons.

Reactions: bonzo75 and PeterA

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Can we also talk about the bizarre mistrust and bias people often have for members of "the industry"?

How we can be told we're liars when giving information to people trying our products, how whatever we say is taken only as an attempt to make a sale and how reviewers are all in on it? How folks jump to conclusions given insufficient data, how they completely ignore the ethical standards of reviewers in general, because they think the reviewers are all idiots and "in on it"?

I love what I do but people can often be abusive. I often feel abused and not treated as human. Luckily, I can decide who I deal with for the most part.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
And this doesn't just apply to audio, it seems to be human nature.

Go to a car forum and info in the owner's manual is often questioned as to it's "agenda", and the info, such as oil type, often isn't really the best choice, etc, etc, etc...

A certain amount of this is expected I guess, as it often is the case that someone selling something isn't totally honest. I get it it. But I can say, for the vast majority of folks in any area, all we want is to figure out what the customer wants and to provide that as best we can.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

+1. Industry expert should be earned from forum readers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing