The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

It's a very enjoyable album; the MP3 version has been out for a few weeks. The Bluray should be great!

Didn't know about the MP3 version, paint me silly but where is it available?

Google it and you'll see that apparently it was not intended to be available early, but you know how those things go...

Ok, yea I actually felt stupid asking when, as they say to newbies (like me apparently), did you google it? :D

Thanks buddy

Digging Luminol as I'm typing and I can't wait for the multichannel experience like only he can do, I really wonder how he can do all he does, be the top mix guy in the industry and manage all his projects and collaborations and still be able to create such amazing music, I'm baffled :s

Last edited:
New release alert.

The God of surround audio and high-quality prog mixes, Mr. Steven Wilson is back with a new album, The Raven that Refused To Sing.

Taking the talented team that toured with him on his recent world tour (available on this stellar BluRay, best audio for live concert I've ever heard), Steven went into the studios accompanied by famed engineer Alan Parsons to record this new album, which by all early accounts will be an instant classic in the prog-rock cannon.

I've pre-ordered the BluRay disc, as I want the lossless high-rez surround mixes, but it's also available on many other formats, including a deluxe box set.

Get yours now!

I just received mine a few days ago and Wow, just WOW!

This is a masterpiece from someone who is setting the pace in musical creativity over the past two decades. Steven just keeps creating not only great music, but keeps elevating the bar on sonic quality like no one else can.

In this album, engineered by the legendary Alan Parson and mixed by Steven, the richness and depth of sound are astounding. Dynamic range is huge, and the 5.1 high-rez lossless surround mix is spectacular on my rig (which itself is an homage to Mr. Wilson, as that's what it takes to appreciate his recordings to the max).

The BluRay edition is the one to get if you want to hear all that is in these recordings.
Thankfully, it features multiple mixes and formats all on one disc. So you get 24/96 LPCM Stereo mix for all you 2ch afficiondos.
Us surround-heads get both a 5.1 24/96 LPCM and a DTS-HD MasterAudio lossless 24/96 5.1 encoding as well.

There are CD and vinyl editions as well for those living in the past ;)

A must own album just for the music, and absolutely a go-to demo disc to show off all your system can do.

Available from Burning Shed and other outlets.

View attachment 8228

Just get it ...

Last edited:
There are some tracks I would be interested in knowing the classification of. At first I thought I was listening to psychedelia, but they may be verging on prog. I like them, a lot. Are they prog? And if so, what sub-genre(s)?

First is by Locomotive:

Second by Cold Sun:

Third by Aorta:

Thanks!

Time to revive this thread.

Here is an excellent interview with one of the prog rock gods 10 days ago, with a wonderful comment at the 21 minute mark and a baffling one at the 24 minute mark:

Ron - Great clip with Roger and yeah.....a new album! Bring it on! Not sure I agree Amused to Death is better than what Floyd did with WYWH and Animals. But that's Roger. The news from Mr. Fripp is also very exciting and I'll be looking forward to a new album in Sept 2014. Sweet!

Bob - It does indeed make me very happy!:)

John, exactly, to everything you wrote! Hey, how 'bout Crimson with three drummers? Now that oughta be interesting.

John, exactly, to everything you wrote! Hey, how 'bout Crimson with three drummers? Now that oughta be interesting.

Not only interesting, but it should add a different dimension as well and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I've always been a fan of multiple drum kits.

Thanks to Ron for introducing me to Blackfield, IQ, Dredg and Emiliana Torrini. I'm having such a blast listening to some solid prog rock albums here.

One of my fave Prog Rock bands has always been Harmonium and also it's leader Serge Fiori's effort with friend Richard Seguin. Well, it has come to my attention that Serge will be releasing a new album on March 4th. Hopefully it'll be a prog effort. :)

For you Genesis fans, the 2007 remasters are now becoming available on HighRez formats beyond the original SACD sets. Selling England By The Pound is now available on BluRay:

View attachment 13689

A bit of discussion on this (with a comparison of SACD vs BluRay editions I wrote) : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1507191/genesis-albums-to-be-released-on-pure-audio-blu-ray

Just read your post over at AVS and thanks. Since I have nothing on digital from Genesis this might be worth a buy or me. For the record, I'm not concerned about MCH as I only listen to 2CH for music.

Just read your post over at AVS and thanks. Since I have nothing on digital from Genesis this might be worth a buy or me. For the record, I'm not concerned about MCH as I only listen to 2CH for music.
If you only want 2 channel you might be better served by the old LP's or the 1994 "Definitive Editions" CD's. Most fans don't care much for the SACD mixes or mastering, and they are undeniably more compressed than either the earlier CD's or the LP's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing