The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

It's been an If day for me. Highly recommended (or is that recommended highly?) progressive rock / fusion.

If (1970):

cover_37427572007.jpg

If2 (1970):

cover_49437572007.jpg

If3 (1971):

cover_21457572007.jpg

RPWL. Pink Floyd fans would do well to discover and listen to this band. Absolutely fantastic music and lyrics. Here's their latest, which I've literally listened to about 20 times in the last 2 weeks:

51svk4CXFRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ken, what is it with Scandinavian prog? There is so much great prog coming from that part of the globe.

Its really been a great scene going back to the 70s but pretty much got overlooked until the mid-90s when Anglagard came along. Been in high gear ever since. By the way the new Anglagard album is almost finished and will be for sale at Nearfest.

You coming to the final Nearfest? It's going to be a major blowout. Also check out this new festival just announced:

www.farfest.com

Ken

I see a couple of my favorites: Anekdoten and Wobbler. Regrettably, Delaware is not doable for me.

Listening to this again for the umpteenth time. I find it very difficult for me not to choose this is my fave Prog album.

Genesis Revisited II

OK you audiophile Prog-heads, this one is worth getting!

Steve Hackett, guitarist extraordinaire and ex-Genesis band member has released a new album entitled Genesis Revisited II, a magnum opus running over 2 hrs in length. Featuring many early-era Genesis tunes, like Entangled, Ripples and the long-form masterpiece: Super's Ready.

The real secret for audiophiles is this: it is available as a 24/88.2 High-rez download direct from Steve's website for just 12 GBP.

For those that prefer (yuck) vinyl, it's also available on that legacy low-rez format ;)

The high-rez FLAC is stunning in its audio qualities, and the mix is great. Truly a joy to hear these modern interpretations of these classics, some sound even better than the SACD remasters I also have of the original albums.

Reviews: Progmeister, Genesis News.

GenesisRevisitedII.jpg

Nice find Jonathan!:D

Do you know of they accept PayPal?

Revisited II is a fun, fun album. Also check out The Tokyo Tapes (Live in Tokyo, December 16 & 17, 1996):

folder.jpg

OK you audiophile Prog-heads, this one is worth getting!

Steve Hackett, guitarist extraordinaire and ex-Genesis band member has released a new album entitled Genesis Revisited II, a magnum opus running over 2 hrs in length. Featuring many early-era Genesis tunes, like Entangled, Ripples and the long-form masterpiece: Super's Ready.

The real secret for audiophiles is this: it is available as a 24/88.2 High-rez download direct from Steve's website for just 12 GBP.

The high-rez FLAC is stunning in its audio qualities, and the mix is great. Truly a joy to hear these modern interpretations of these classics, some sound even better than the SACD remasters I also have of the original albums.

Reviews: Progmeister, Genesis News.

View attachment 6337

Thank you! (worth posting the picture and link twice :)

Rick Wakeman's new studio version of "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" is a sonic spectacular. Nice to hear a rock album that isn't slammed. The recording is spacious and dynamic. I'm not sure what the motivation was for Wakeman to revisit the album but I'm really glad he did as its one of my all time fav prog albums. He's augmented the New English Rock Ensemble with Hayley Sanderson on vocals (thankfully taking over some of Ashley Holt's parts) and the band is augmented by the Orion Symphony Orchestra and English Chamber Choir. Wakeman replicates all of his old keyboard sounds - nothing jumps out at you as sounding out of place. In addition you get about 20 minutes of material that was originally composed for the album but was excised because A&M wanted to keep the album length to a single disc.

Its housed in a deluxe digibook and comes with a 132 page magazine about Rick Wakeman and a replica of the 1974 tour program. Like the production the package is deluxe in every way. I don't know if this is getting general availability outside of this Classic Rock magazine version.

So you wind up with something that is true to the original but better in every way.

www.lasercd.com

I posted the entire album a while back, but Harmonium's "En Pleine Face" is a song that needs a bit of a centerstage.

New release alert.

The God of surround audio and high-quality prog mixes, Mr. Steven Wilson is back with a new album, The Raven that Refused To Sing.

Taking the talented team that toured with him on his recent world tour (available on this stellar BluRay, best audio for live concert I've ever heard), Steven went into the studios accompanied by famed engineer Alan Parsons to record this new album, which by all early accounts will be an instant classic in the prog-rock cannon.

I've pre-ordered the BluRay disc, as I want the lossless high-rez surround mixes, but it's also available on many other formats, including a deluxe box set.

Get yours now!

TheRaventhatRefusedToSing.jpg

Last edited:
New release alert.

The God of surround audio and high-quality prog mixes, Mr. Steven Wilson is back with a new album, The Raven that Refused To Sing.

Taking the talented team that toured with him on his recent world tour (available on this stellar BluRay, best audio for live concert I've ever heard), Steven went into the studios accompanied by famed engineer Alan Parsons to record this new album, which by all early accounts will be an instant classic in the prog-rock cannon.

I've pre-ordered the BluRay disc, as I want the lossless high-rez surround mixes, but it's also available on many other formats, including a deluxe box set.

Get yours now!

View attachment 8228

Mine just shipped, can't wait for this one, it's such a promising album and Mr Wilson can do no wrong in my book ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing