The official audio myth busting thread

I have suffered all of this plus this one someone sent me in PM today: "People are saying you look like an ill kept hunched over old man. It's a shame what 10 hours in front of a computer screen does to one's heath."

That someone made a typo: health. ...Or you did in retyping it. ;-)

Blizzard, as you know I am a digital-only guy, so I have no personal emotional stake in believing vinyl is better. Yet unlike you I have heard SOTA analog, and in my opinion it easily beats most (not necessarily all) digital that I have heard so far, including mine. And one of my main problems with your attitude is that you have made grand and arrogant pronouncements about analog in the past on this board, even though you appear to never have heard SOTA analog in an optimized set-up. Perhaps you will be more careful in the future with pronouncements based on 'prinicipal technical grounds' that sound pretty dogmatic to me (and I for one am not against measurements, as a scientist -- a biochemist -- I perform them all the time).

Having said all that: I fully support you on this test. I don't understand why some vinyl guys here are so plain chickeny about it. Perhaps they really do lack the confidence.

I for one would love to know about the results. I would be able to learn a lot more about the diverse formats.

Either yours, or my level of listening experience has no bearing on this test. It will be the golden ears, the guys who attend live classical event's on a daily basis, guys who have the best of the best vinyl setups who will determine what's superior.

I'm just simply recommending a $4200 DAC to be used on the digital side. No $100000+ vivaldi stack, just a modest pro sound $4200 DAC.

Should be a given that it won't have a chance shouldn't it?

Will I ever look like a fool after this if these guys pull through and actually show up won't I? Everything I have ever said would be completely discredited.

Last edited:
As I already said many times simultaneous live video will be running in both rooms pointing at the gear the whole time. You will be able to clearly see what's going on in the room. You will be able to see the needle drop on the record, and hear the sound coming out of the speakers. We can even zoom right in on the grooves in the record if you want. Do we need 4-5 camera's from different angles simultaneously recording? Is that what it would take? Wouldn't really need to as a single camera could probably capture the whole audio rig. The room can be examined by all members before the session. The vinyl guys can even hook everything up if they want.

No offense intended. I was simply asking a question. It seems that one source will be on while the other will be off and that the camera will verify this. The sources will not be running concurrently, though that would eliminate the needle drop sounds and allow for quick, mid-track comparisons, if the track start times were well synchronized and volume level matched. That's all I was curious about. It sounds as though this has been thoroughly thought thru.

When and where will the test take place? And who will host it? Like Al M., I fully support this kind of endeavor and am sure much will be learned.

I don't know why Mike, but your video won't play for me: Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner. - ...it says.

So, I am posting this one to complete the full context:

...And I admit; it is sophisticated in its representation by all the actors, including Christian Bale (Patrick Batman). ...Pretty cool. :cool:

No offense intended. I was simply asking a question. It seems that one source will be on while the other will be off and that the camera will verify this. The sources will not be running concurrently, though that would eliminate the needle drop sounds and allow for quick, mid-track comparisons, if the track start times were well synchronized and volume level matched. That's all I was curious about. It sounds as though this has been thoroughly thought thru.

When and where will the test take place? And who will host it? Like Al M., I fully support this kind of endeavor and am sure much will be learned.

As for the needle drop sound, what I was thinking is the needle can be dropped on the record on the track right before the audition track, with the volume muted, and the volume can be turned up to the listening level approx 1 second after the track has begun. The same will be done with the digital, so they couldn't be told apart.

In order for this test to truly have any impact, we would need a panel of highly regarded, self proclaimed golden eared vinyl enthusiasts to come for the auditions. Without them, the test would be pointless, as the vinyl guys think the digital guys have poorly trained ears, which is why we don't prefer vinyl. And the digital guys already know digital is better.

I don't know why Mike, but your video won't play for me: Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner. - ...it says.

So, I am posting this one to complete the full context:

...And I admit; it is sophisticated in its representation by all the actors, including Christian Bale (Patrick Batman). ...Pretty cool. :cool:

You need to open the link in youtube. Ahh just realized they overdubbed the audio from another part of the movie over this part ha ha. I thought it was just out of sync.

Either yours, or my level of listening experience has no bearing on this test. It will be the golden ears, the guys who attend live classical event's on a daily basis, guys who have the best of the best vinyl setups who will determine what's superior.

LOL, the "golden-ear" criteria gets yet another silly amendment. :D

I miss Ethan.

You need to open the link in youtube. Ahh just realized they overdubbed the audio from another part of the movie over this part ha ha. I thought it was just out of sync.

Yes, I knew that...but that was a good intro to post the longer version. :b

Last edited:
Yes, I knew that...but that was a good intro to post the longer version. :b

Watch them both again. They are the same video clip with different audio. They overdubbed the audio from this clip, with he audio on the other clip:

Deleted. Was maybe not family friendly enough for the forum. I realized after watching. You're clip was edited, but mine wasn't :)

Watch them both again. They are the same video clip with different audio. They overdubbed the audio from this clip, with he audio on the other clip:

The working title for this movie was ' American audiophile'

I miss Ethan.

Same here; when I read some of his rare posts over @ AVS it is always with great delight. I like Ethan a lot.
But often the exchanges are humorously deviating from the advancing knowledge; with Ethan often contradicted without solid basis by few members.
Ethan is so used to it that he is simply a true gentleman, and taking the positive life of life...with humor and a smile.

But many members respect him for his contributions, myself included. His expert opinion is very welcome and valuable, plus he is a great human being with a human heart and good humor inside it. How can you not appreciate someone of his caliber? ...Beats me.

Same here; when I read some of his rare posts over @ AVS it is always with great delight. I like Ethan a lot.
But often the exchanges are humorously deviating from the advancing knowledge; with Ethan often contradicted without solid basis by few members.
Ethan is so used to it that he is simply a true gentleman, and taking the positive life of life...with humor and a smile.

But many members respect him for his contributions, myself included. His expert opinion is very welcome and valuable, plus he is a great human being with a human heart and good humor inside it. How can you not appreciate someone of his caliber? ...Beats me.

I don't know of this man, but sounds like a great guy :)

Deleted. Was maybe not family friendly enough for the forum. I realized after watching. You're clip was edited, but mine wasn't :)

I did Mike; watch them both...and yours was a total mess...with the audio not matching the video.

* As for being family friendly; it's a youtube video of a classic cult film...and edited...not showing any blood...no tits and ass. The ladies have clothes on, top and bottom sexy lingerie. It's a great video. :b ...And the language is awesome; lines delivered by Patrick Bateman (Batman).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing