The mapleshade question.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Today, I received in the mail my new Mapleshade catalog--titled: "The handbook for good music and good sound".

I have a few of their CD's and think they are very good. However, I have never heard any of their 'tweeks' or other products.
These products are certainly nothing that one would typically find at your local 'high end' dealer. They clearly have a distinct approach to better sound, which is unlike any other company that I am aware of. Looking at their catalog, you see ultrathin cables..both speaker and ic, large wooden blocks with heavy duty brass footers; various mods to electronics and even a "ultra minimalist AC wall outlet" made with wood faceplates (sourced from the Armish...I kid you not!) and with the thinnest possible brass contact strips.
All of their gear is supposed to beat far more costly gear in any head-to-head comparison.
Anyone heard or use Mapleshade gear....thoughts.

I have occasionally received Mapleshade catalogs for several years.

To me, they seem to have many tweaks that are not as expensive as some others, but still not likely to make any real improvement.

My impression is that their copywriter (maybe the CEO) is quite talented. Maybe Myles or another reviewer can comment on whether they provide review equipment. I don't ever remember reading a review of their equipment. Their use of Soundsmith for their cartridges is promising however.

Larry

pierre sprey had a lengthy career in the defence industry, he's often referred to as the father of the f-16 fighter and he's the most vocal detractor of the f-22 raptor seeing it as a total waste of money. ive spoken to him on the phone at length about his modified scott integrated. i found out he's a huge fan of the quad esl-57 as am i and he's developed an array using 3 of them that he'll share details about with you.

recording is his passion and mapleshade records and now the modified gear and tweeks business is an outgrowth of that. i recieved the catalog for the first time last week and his stuff has a homemade very cottage industry look to it. i sense he's not taken seriously by the audiophile press, i read a few underhanded remarks about his set-ups and the uneven SQ of his demos at east coast shows. i have no experience with his products other than i like a few of his recordings like the clifford jordan live at ethells.

i have 15 or 20 Mapleshade CD's and really enjoy them for their energy and minimalist approach to the recordings. personally i've never purchased any of his tweaks, but i would expect them to be pretty good.

i've thought a few times about asking Pierre to offer 15ips 1/4" tapes of his outstanding recordings; i would expect tapes he might make to be world class potentially. as i recall he does record (or use to record) to tape and then transfer to digital.

pierre sprey had a lengthy career in the defence industry, he's often referred to as the father of the f-16 fighter and he's the most vocal detractor of the f-22 raptor seeing it as a total waste of money. ive spoken to him on the phone at length about his modified scott integrated. i found out he's a huge fan of the quad esl-57 as am i and he's developed an array using 3 of them that he'll share details about with you.

recording is his passion and mapleshade records and now the modified gear and tweeks business is an outgrowth of that. i recieved the catalog for the first time last week and his stuff has a homemade very cottage industry look to it. i sense he's not taken seriously by the audiophile press, i read a few underhanded remarks about his set-ups and the uneven SQ of his demos at east coast shows. i have no experience with his products other than i like a few of his recordings like the clifford jordan live at ethells.

I've talked to Pierre before and he's a very down to earth person. He's happy to answer your questions and he won't give you a lot of hype. He gives a 30 day money back guarantee on everything he sells.

Meet Pierre...

Peter. thanks for posting that video. Pierre has some very interesting opinions of his gear:D. The little Gallo's will easily beat some $30K monitors!! The crown topped $5 12AX7's will beat smooth plate Telefunken's:eek:
OTOH, his Scott amp does look interesting.
The crown tops are interesting to look at too, wonder how they impact the life of the tube that they sit on?? Maybe he's on to something or perhaps not:confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing