To Roon or not to Roon, that is the question...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Works fine on MSB, both over USB as well as Renderer.

Reactions: Alpinist

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
I absolutely love Roon when it's "working" on my iPad. However, the iPad application successfully communicates with Roon Core (on an iMac) less than 25% of the time. The iPhone app always connects quickly (thank goodness!), but the phone screen is harder to see and the phone app has much less functionality. Roon probably devotes more resources to ensuring that the iPhone app works, because that's used by more people. Very frustrating if you want to use an iPad!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I think I've uncovered a Roon issue and would like to know if anyone's experience mimics mine. Has anyone ever played a DSD256 file using Roon?

To be clear, you can set Roon to convert DSD files to PCM files first,, but I want to know if anyone has ever played a DSD256 file in roon using only the standard DSD over PCM (DoP) protocol? I was unable to play 256 files using my Meitner DA2 and its not because the Meitner doesn't accept DSD256. It does (although it converts them to DXD 384; at least until the DA2 mod is out late this summer which will allow native DSD256 to be played). However, I checked EVERY DAC Roon lists and Roon does not allow any of them to be configured for DSD256 input, but only DSD128, even those DACs that we know accept native 256 such as MERGING NADAC.

So again I think I discovered a minor Roon glitch- it cannot play DSD256 files regardless of the DAC one uses. Does anyone see this differently?.
Update. It's definitely a Meitner DA2 incompatability, not a problem with Roon.

ngamountains

Apr 24, 2018
I absolutely love Roon when it's "working" on my iPad. However, the iPad application successfully communicates with Roon Core (on an iMac) less than 25% of the time. The iPhone app always connects quickly (thank goodness!), but the phone screen is harder to see and the phone app has much less functionality. Roon probably devotes more resources to ensuring that the iPhone app works, because that's used by more people. Very frustrating if you want to use an iPad!
Interesting. I don’t have that issue. Occasionally when looking at other things on my iPad while Roon is playing, then going back to Roon, it will say it lost connection to my server (SGC sonicTransporter i7) and is trying to reconnect. I usually just close Roon and reopen it, after which everything functions normally. No other issues for me with iPad, certainly nothing approaching 25% function.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing