The Impossible

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I never saw this film when it ran in theaters last year but have been intrigued by the excellent reviews that it received as well as an Oscar nomination for Naomi Watts. The film is based on a true story of a tourist family in Thailand caught in the destruction and chaotic aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Suffice it to say this movie is an absolute winner. Rated PG-13 and less than 2 hours in length,this film will draw you in from the beginning and keep you there til the end.

The scenes of the tsunami are so well done you have to ask yourself over and over how they filmed this as it is absolutely staggering. Naomi Watts plays the lead of a young physician who is on vacation with her family at a resort literally on the sand where the wave hit. Naomi Watts was brilliant in the role and deserved the nomination as she was not only good but down right believable

I saw the movie yesterday at home On Demand. Worth the $5.99 to watch it in HD. Definitely thumbs up and not to be missed.

watching this film depict the tsunami reminded me of two other films of this nature. Cast Away with Tom Hanks in 2000 with the airplane going down in the ocean and Matt Damon in Hereafter from 2010 which also depicted the Tsunami. These films' depictions of these disasters were so believable that they got my heart rate up but I must admit the depiction of the tsunami in The Impossible will have you gasping for air

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
It is strange watching the videos of the real tsunami in various locations, the behavior of the people seemed quite odd as the shore receded then the waves hit, multiple times in many instances.

One of my clients was in the disaster while vacationing, he came back rather nonplussed, talked about pulling a guy off a pole so he could climb higher himself. Sounded rather douche baggy, but I guess you don't know how you are going to react in a dangerous situation. I think he may have been blocking out some of the incident through shock, but I didn't spend a lot of time probing him about it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My ex-boss and his family were there when it hit. They almost died. They were on a boat excursion on kayaks and such and were just about to go to under water caves. The guide realized was something strange as water levels started to increase and stopped the activity. Had he not done that they would have been trapped in the caves.

While he was there, I was on a photo trip in Florida and had little contact with outside world. I get back to my hotel unloading my pictures and I get email from him that he is OK. I am thinking that is strange. Then watch the news and realize the situation.

Have to look out for the movie on cable.

rrr

May 17, 2010
I was in Thailand when it hit but fortunately not in the area affected however I do recall the cars and trucks headed North with caskets.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing