The Hong Kong High End Audio Visual Show 2013

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks guys! The system was doing things that was making me speechless too! And we were only running the 160W Viola Legacy - not the 800W bridged mono Viola Bravo that I had requested.

The track was from this album. One of Winston Ma's masterful re-issues from the original Decca tapes.

Edmundo Ros.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Audiophiles in Hong Kong and China pay $1000 and up for these CDs made of a special tempered crystal glass.

Crystal Disc Sampler.jpg

I won't speculate as to why it would sound "better" than the ordinary CD - even on the CH Precision D1 transport and C1 DAC. The music seemed to have more energy and flowed better. The Chinese instrument used here - the GuZheng has the reputation of being extremely difficult to record well.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
AAhh the famous glass CD ... a mention in this RG article ... http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/asia_3.htm

Thanks. I loved his conclusion:

It was also tremendously encouraging to find such enthusiasm and to enjoy such astonishing experiences after so long resisting the downbeat cynicism of so much of the audio industry in the UK and US. Only an ostrich would deny that the center of audio gravity is shifting East. On this showing it’s easy to understand why.

I came back from the exhausting HK show with Rebecca and Lincoln with more energy. Mostly, after a show in the US, I am sapped.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...The Chinese instrument used here - the GuZheng has the reputation of being extremely difficult to record well.

OK...now THAT is what I was really hoping to hear!!! Sensational! I am no techie...and frankly was not sure whether (in your first videoclip) the live playback of the 2 singers thru the speakers was the same kind of test as just playing a CD through your system. I thought perhaps live feedback direct into the speakers might have greater fidelity.

But now that you've done CD-playback in this video snip...in a room of 300 people...I am simply amazed. I admit that I went out of my way to post quite a bit on the Genesis 1.1s I heard on a killer system in Europe a few months ago...I said it was officially the best system I have ever heard. And I am glad to see that your video did nothing to convince me otherwise...Absolutely amazing, Gary. If I closed my eyes, I would absolutely believe you recorded the live instruments on that stage. period.

Cannot wait for the Genesis 'Komodo' as I like to nickname it...the new speaker you're working on that will come out just under the mighty Genesis 1.2/Dragons...

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
I listened to that GuZheng track from Gary's Facebook posting on my iPad. Frankly, I was amazed. I had clicked on it and then opened the Sunday papers. The reproduction made me look up and stare at my iPad. Considering that it was recorded with a little camera... Facebook compresses any video you put up and c'mon... iPad speakers... it was astonishingly good.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I listened to that GuZheng track from Gary's Facebook posting on my iPad. Frankly, I was amazed. I had clicked on it and then opened the Sunday papers. The reproduction made me look up and stare at my iPad. Considering that it was recorded with a little camera... Facebook compresses any video you put up and c'mon... iPad speakers... it was astonishingly good.

Impressive even through the vitiating screen of YouTube.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK...now THAT is what I was really hoping to hear!!! Sensational! I am no techie...and frankly was not sure whether (in your first videoclip) the live playback of the 2 singers thru the speakers was the same kind of test as just playing a CD through your system. I thought perhaps live feedback direct into the speakers might have greater fidelity.

But now that you've done CD-playback in this video snip...in a room of 300 people...I am simply amazed. I admit that I went out of my way to post quite a bit on the Genesis 1.1s I heard on a killer system in Europe a few months ago...I said it was officially the best system I have ever heard. And I am glad to see that your video did nothing to convince me otherwise...Absolutely amazing, Gary. If I closed my eyes, I would absolutely believe you recorded the live instruments on that stage. period.

Cannot wait for the Genesis 'Komodo' as I like to nickname it...the new speaker you're working on that will come out just under the mighty Genesis 1.2/Dragons...

I was floored by that Crystal Disc too. After hours, I played the ordinary CD that Andy Lam, the producer, gave me, and I felt that I much preferred the dynamics, clarity and detail of the glass CD. I don't know how to explain. Sitting down with Florian Cossey, the CEO of CH Precision, he seems to be the engineer's engineer. Unfortunately, he also agrees with me that there are things that make a sonic difference that he cannot explain or know how to measure either.

I wish that I was able to rip the Crystal Disc to my server and compare the bits..... but they would have nothing of that.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
OK, now I am officially very curious. I"ve read about these glass CDs before. Where can they be bought?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, now I am officially very curious. I"ve read about these glass CDs before. Where can they be bought?

The company that was demo-ing them on my speakers was Modern Audio at www.modernaudio.com. they might have them on their website, or a link to where you can get them.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The company that was demo-ing them on my speakers was Modern Audio at www.modernaudio.com. they might have them on their website, or a link to where you can get them.

Very interesting. $1000 is allot for a cd. Would you say it is worth the expense? You can buy allot of good vinyl for that.:D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
........or half of a rare one :D

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I was stuck in the theater all day from early morning sound check till greeting and talking to visitors after the last event of the day, so I didn't get to take many pictures, but I'm sure that they will be all over the blogosphere soon.

Here's my distributor's other room.

Wilson Benesch Cardinal with the full CH Precision set-up - C1, D1 + monoblock A1's.

WB&CH.jpg

On silent display was Air Force One and DartZeel

TechDAS and Dart.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The grand opening event certainly set the stage. They had live music with a percussion group and a military band. When the bagpipes also came out, I overheard someone say, "After that, how can we go and listen to a pair of speakers??"

Percussion Band.jpg

Brass Band.jpg

crowds.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing