The Hong Kong High End Audio Visual Show 2013

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
With an event like this, I "knew" that the speakers would easily do it, but until you actually do it, there is always the element of fear. After the first day, I can breath a sigh of relief and happily conclude that a pair of Genesis 1.2 Dragons would absolutely be able to fill and fulfill the musical duties in a theater seating 300.

View attachment 11142

Despite the size of the hall, and the bodies absorbing bass, the speakers were just loafing along. Relaxed and unstressed. Because of the nature of the line source, it was not too loud in the front rows, and not too soft in the back. This lovely lady ended up hugging one of the speakers and telling the audience how much she loved hearing herself sing through this fantastic system. What an endorsement!

By the 3rd and last show of the day, every seat was filled - including all the floor space on the stairs up the middle, down the two sides, and people standing in the rear. I had to leave the room because I thought that we were seriously running out of oxygen! (and I'm not claustrophobic.)

View attachment 11143

Today is just the first day. I don't want to know how the organizers are going to go about controlling the crowd tomorrow! Seriously!

Carl is right on the money here.

Even in a large room, we were so happy to get an audience of 15 people for a demo at a show in the US. Here, we had over 300!

Gary - this industry needs more entrepeneurs like you! Good luck, you surely called for attention!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary - this industry needs more entrepeneurs like you! Good luck, you surely called for attention!

Thanks MasterChief, Lloyd and Fernando.

What this industry sorely lacks is not entrepreneurs - its evangelists. You may (or may not) have noticed that I've been spending less time on WBF. That's because I think that the energy of the board has taken a turn for the negative and I've been spending my energies elsewhere.

We need new blood, young blood and more blood in our hobby. We need more subjectivists. We need more objectivists. If we would all put our energy into recruitment instead of subjectivists converting objectivists, or tube amp believers converting ss amp lovers, or digital believers converting analog lovers we would do much better. Why not channel that energy into finding one more subjectivist or one more objectivist? Or one more digital believer? The former is a zero-sum game - the latter grows the entire market.

Sorry for the rant.

Back to regular programming......'

I met Abey Fonn, the daughter of Cisco Records (who DOESN'T remember Cisco Records) founder, and she's heading up a new label IMPEX Records. I already see on her catalog a couple of titles I need to order. Check her facebook page out at https://www.facebook.com/ImpexRecords or her website at www.impexrecords.com

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Gary-I agree with everything you said in your above post. Wise words if everyone would pay attention to them. The only thing that really matters is the sound that comes out of your speakers and the fact that you like what comes out of your speakers. What source material and sources that are used to get that sound out of your speakers is really secondary to the end goal of loving how your system sounds. There is room in this crazy hobby for everyone no matter what they like and wasting bandwidth to try and proselytize is just a waste of time and energy.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hong Kong artists Perry Martin and Anders Nelsson. I was standing behind the last row, so probably not the best place to be recording the sound of my speakers as I was already over 2 feet above the top of the line-source, but there was no where else to go.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary-I agree with everything you said in your above post. Wise words if everyone would pay attention to them. The only thing that really matters is the sound that comes out of your speakers and the fact that you like what comes out of your speakers. What source material and sources that are used to get that sound out of your speakers is really secondary to the end goal of loving how your system sounds. There is room in this crazy hobby for everyone no matter what they like and wasting bandwidth to try and proselytize is just a waste of time and energy.

Thanks, Mark!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Morning Queue

When I turned up this morning at 11am for my session at 11:30, there was already this queue waiting to get in. Asian audiophiles are a dedicated lot.

I played a couple of hirez files for them, and I got many comments that this was the best computer-based playback that they had ever heard. I guess my build-your-own-server paper isn't well known enough in Hong Kong!! Yet.

Queue to get in.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Priceless. This is the kind of publicity that you can't pay for. A hundred cameras and cellphones trained on your product - to be shared among friends, posted to blogs and forums......

View attachment 11168

Come on Gary, 'fess up. Was there a (nearly) naked girl up stage?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Come on Gary, 'fess up. Was there a (nearly) naked girl up stage?

Mark, I wish! I was promised J-pop girls, but so far on the first couple of days, it has been the Chinese version of our audiophile mainstays.

Here's who was on stage at the time. Johnny Yip is one of the cultural icons of the Hong Kong music scene.

Johnny Yip.jpg

I'm hoping that today I'll get more eye-candy.

Day 3.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Cool. I bet the G1.2's were up to the challenge of filling that room with good sound.

Absolutely! I was "sure" that it would, but still a bit concerned about 300 absorbing warm bodies and the huge space. The first session erased all doubt.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Absolutely! I was "sure" that it would, but still a bit concerned about 300 absorbing warm bodies and the huge space. The first session erased all doubt.

Glad to hear it worked out. Next stop Benaroya Recital Hall? It's only 536 seats.:D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That was very very cool, Gary. Congrats. That must have been a lot of fun for high end audio fans, but even more fun for you as Mr. Genesis. A lot of pride that day...congrats!! And thanks for posting the audiofile. A snip is worth a thousand words!

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Congrats Gary! Even though not there its a visually very convincing demo with just the video and pictures. I whish I was there. Maybe next year.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congrats Gary! Even though not there its a visually very convincing demo with just the video and pictures. I whish I was there. Maybe next year.

Thanks, Roysen. I'm back in Seattle, and still a little giddy from the show. The Hong Kong AV show is something that needs to be experienced.

For most of the performances, I was off to the side, or way up in nose-bleed territory. Early Sunday, I got to the theater before people came in and recorded this one. It really shows off the projection and room-filling capability of a pair of large line-source loudspeakers.

I ended up not bringing my Canon 5D and external mic - this was just recorded with a Canon S100 compact camera!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
With an event like this, I "knew" that the speakers would easily do it, but until you actually do it, there is always the element of fear. After the first day, I can breath a sigh of relief and happily conclude that a pair of Genesis 1.2 Dragons would absolutely be able to fill and fulfill the musical duties in a theater seating 300.

View attachment 11142

Despite the size of the hall, and the bodies absorbing bass, the speakers were just loafing along. Relaxed and unstressed. Because of the nature of the line source, it was not too loud in the front rows, and not too soft in the back. This lovely lady ended up hugging one of the speakers and telling the audience how much she loved hearing herself sing through this fantastic system. What an endorsement!

By the 3rd and last show of the day, every seat was filled - including all the floor space on the stairs up the middle, down the two sides, and people standing in the rear. I had to leave the room because I thought that we were seriously running out of oxygen! (and I'm not claustrophobic.)

View attachment 11143

Today is just the first day. I don't want to know how the organizers are going to go about controlling the crowd tomorrow! Seriously!

Carl is right on the money here.

Even in a large room, we were so happy to get an audience of 15 people for a demo at a show in the US. Here, we had over 300!

How absolutely SENSATIONAL, Gary! Congratulations :)

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks, Roysen. I'm back in Seattle, and still a little giddy from the show. The Hong Kong AV show is something that needs to be experienced.

For most of the performances, I was off to the side, or way up in nose-bleed territory. Early Sunday, I got to the theater before people came in and recorded this one. It really shows off the projection and room-filling capability of a pair of large line-source loudspeakers.

I ended up not bringing my Canon 5D and external mic - this was just recorded with a Canon S100 compact camera!

WOW, I am impressed. May I ask what music is being played in that last video clip?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gary,

I'm speechless. Congratulations man!

Jack

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
WOW, I am impressed. May I ask what music is being played in that last video clip?

So am I!!! Now THAT is SOTA! Refined for the audiophile, and powerful enough to hold its own 300-person concert.

Roysen - its "I Could Have Danced All Night"...a jazz version of the original tune in the musical, My Fair Lady, by Rogers and Hammerstein which won Best Picture back in the late 50s/early 60's...question, Gary, is which jazz version?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing