The History of High End Audio

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
How do you remember it?

The other important trend in the 60's was brought on by the usurpation of the role of the vacuum tube by the transistor. Japanese hifi firms hadn't seen much success with their tube-based designs in the early 60's.But with the advent of the transistor Pioneer, Yamaha, Sony, Sherwood, Kenwood, and Sansui, all entered the US market with products whose specifications far exceeded those of US-made tube-based components. Of course 20-20 hindsight shows that these specifications used THD or total harmonic distortion figures rather than breaking down the harmonic distortion into 1st, 2nd, 3d, and 4th order harmonics. If they had, audiophiles would have seen how the distortion characteristics of early transistors were much worse at higher odd-order harmonics than tubes. Many audiophiles switched from tube electronics to solid-state electronics and discovered that the sonic results weren't a step up in quality or enjoyment.

- See more at: http://audiophilereview.com/the-history-of-high-end-audio.html#sthash.1ANHVcGS.dpuf

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

There is also a book for electronics. Is that pair of Q7 a review sample, long term loan or reviewer owned?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If If you get both volumes you can make your Q5 sound like a Q7. It soaks up extraneous resonances.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Actually, jokes(and price) aside, the book ain't bad. I bought volume 1 out of sheer curiosity and no real regrets. It makes for a nice coffee table book - well edited, laid out and illustrated. While I don't have a reference point for content as regards history, I found it very comprehensive.....follows key eras, inflection points, manufacturers and has a few incisive interviews thrown in for good measure. Overall, not a bad purchase at all for someone like me to understand the evolution of hi-end audio.
Can't comment on price really.....personal value judgement! I really don't have any prejudice against anyone who bought a 100k DAC :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Actually, jokes(and price) aside, the book ain't bad. I bought volume 1 out of sheer curiosity and no real regrets. It makes for a nice coffee table book - well edited, laid out and illustrated. While I don't have a reference point for content as regards history, I found it very comprehensive.....follows key eras, inflection points, manufacturers and has a few incisive interviews thrown in for good measure. Overall, not a bad purchase at all for someone like me to understand the evolution of hi-end audio.
Can't comment on price really.....personal value judgement! I really don't have any prejudice against anyone who bought a 100k DAC :)
Thanks. That is how I was looking at it. That said, Andre's point regarding buying 10 albums instead holds true too :).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing