The first Q3 review

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
What Steve said, except that he is being diplomatic. The question which we cannot answer with absolute certainty is why. Was it the ARC gear, the Q3, or some combination of both? I have a hard time believing it was the ARC gear (tho of course it is possible). Process of elimination for me leaves the speakers. I walked out thinking they simply cannot energize a large room. Tangentially related, for my taste the Q5 also left me wanting in the VLF.

The Q3 had absolutely no issues energizing my 23'6" x 20' room with superbly articulate low bass.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Q3 had absolutely no issues energizing my 23'6" x 20' room with superbly articulate low bass.

the room at the show was larger Jeff as was the room in which the Q5 played. As Ron suggested the Q5 would have sounded better with some subs but nonetheless it was superb even without.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I downloaded the Stan Getz GFI cut that Jeff referred to in his review of the Q3. The female singer is not standing to the right of my right speaker. She is close to the edge of the right speaker. Getz appears a few feet to the left of her and behind her.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
My guess is 87dB. Everyone adds 3dB for room gain these days. The Gryphon Colosseum has 160Wpc-into-8-ohms and I never ran out of headroom.

I think that is pretty much spot on, from what I understand Keith Howard measured them at around 87db sensitivity.
The mean aspect though was a monster impedance/phase relationship in the low bass, I will need to double check but I thought they measured a phase up to 70degree and impedance close to that down to 2.3 ohms I think.
Their overall peak dissipation resistance value came out to around 0.9 ohms I think somewhere between 50 and 80hz, that is a monster.

That aside seems Paul Miller has the same feelings as you Jeff on these speakers.
Cheers
Orb

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am now very interested by this speaker ...

The tortured impedance curve and low sensitivity (to me anything lower than 90 dB) would suggest that a powerful amplifier stable in low impedance likely an SS would be warranted, 0.9 Ohms, especially in the bass region is low...
In the show were the Q3 driven by ARC tube amplifiers, if yes which ones? ...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi

I am now very interested by this speaker ...

The tortured impedance curve and low sensitivity (to me anything lower than 90 dB) would suggest that a powerful amplifier stable in low impedance likely an SS would be warranted, 0.9 Ohms, especially in the bass region is low...
In the show were the Q3 driven by ARC tube amplifiers, if yes which ones? ...

as I stated earleer in this thread the Q3 was driven by the just released ARC flagship amp the Reference 250.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Funny enough PM or Keith Howard did suggest the reference ARCs would be fine or other comparable tube amps, I should had thought to mention that as a caveat about the peak dissipation resistance.
Cheers
Orb

mep

Apr 20, 2010
there could be several reasons for this right Mark

Sure Steve. It could be as simple as superior imaging speakers. It could be the electronics. It could be the room. It could be all of the above.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I downloaded the Stan Getz GFI cut that Jeff referred to in his review of the Q3. The female singer is not standing to the right of my right speaker. She is close to the edge of the right speaker. Getz appears a few feet to the left of her and behind her.

This track played while I was listening to the evening Jazz Show on PS Audio's internet station etracks tonight.

On my system the female singer was to the right and in back of the right speaker.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's the HiFiNews review - what's 'impedance phase angle'? How does it differ from response phase angle?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Corrected

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Once again (the other one I am thinking about is the The Sonus Faber critic), we have strange results in the bass measurements in an Hifi News review. KH reports 42Hz at -6dB and considers it disappointing, in contradiction with the data and report of Jeff, that reported very good bass performance.

Unhappily they do not publish full range graphs of the axial response and IMHO it seems that this -6dB relative to 200Hz figure can be misleading.

djanggo

Aug 7, 2011
This track played while I was listening to the evening Jazz Show on PS Audio's internet station etracks tonight.

On my system the female singer was to the right and in back of the right speaker.

Same here, tried the same track in 2 different set ups. Astrud's voice is and was as always (own this Getz album - Verve cd, for almost 20 yrs) just slightly off center to the right behind the right speaker. Well, if I switched in the phase invert on my pre it did diffused slightly more to the right. Amazing to be able to have her singing "outside" of right speaker. Must be one extra ordinary imaging set of speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My system was set up by the Wilson distributor here, and he did a nice job in a sub-optimal room. in any event, her voice is just about 6-10 inches to the right of the right midrange speaker cone (ie, standing next to the outer edge of my right speaker) and the guitar is about 2.5 feet left of the Right midrange speaker cone. My speakers are about 11 feet apart center to center.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing