THe end of the Audio critics?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
My friends and I have been discussing and contemplating the end of the review process as a serious influence on the industry. I believe that way too many companies have used this as an entry into the High End Industry. It seems that the reviews no longer really influence the buying market and the more manufacturers and dealers that address the subject privately the more they agree that it no longer moves the meter in sales.

What do you think is the Reviewer going the way of the DODO bird?
What does this mean?
What will take its place if anything?
Do you even care?
Who killed J.R.? ( OK I went to far)
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED ON THE GRASSY KNOLL....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think it is the opposite. The less stores pieces can be auditioned in, the greater the reliance on reviews and forums.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I think it is the opposite. The less stores pieces can be auditioned in, the greater the reliance on reviews and forums.

as a dealer my experience is totally opposite. We get no one from reviews, however a lot of people do attend the various shows open to the public

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Jack,

I guess Elliot was implying forums will substitute professional reviews, in his scenario.
I haven't been long enough on this hobby, but it seems to be whoever claims reviewers aren't important might just be the brands that aren't getting reviewed...
All the others still proudly mention and reference the reviewes and awards their products get.

alexandre

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I think that places like this allow the more serious "users" and those who might want to become one to exchange ideas. I agree that the review process seems to exclude, or the older more established companies want to be excluded, from the process since it doesn't translate into sales.
Me personally cant understand why its so important to build products for those who aren't buyers. Then again what the heck do I know.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
From what I've read about the attendance at shows, it is far less than the circulation of Stereophile.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It's all happening right here on WBF. :) Everything else is irrelevant.

Seriously, as in most things, I think the influence of online communities/social media is rising and traditional/professional media is fading, and I don't think that's a good thing. It doesn't matter much in hifi, because so much of its journalism had already lost the critical thinking/analysis part of "criticism" anyway, but as a general trend, I think it is seriously inflating the quantity and degrading the quality of information.

Tim

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Oh, I do not think that Valin, Harley and the rest are going anywhere too soon.....unless old age gets them. While I put only a tiny bit to no emphasis on what the main people claim, I will still trust my own ears for any major purchases. For instance, when I go to this year's RMAF and listen to, say, some Rockport speakers (and am blown away by the potential) I have learned that a few people here on WBF have the Arrakis speakers and have offered to let me come and listen to their systems. If that were not an option then all I have to go on is an older review by RH on what the speakers "sound" like....or, a trip to Maine to hear them....

What has blown me away more than anything is the explosion of VIDEOS of systems at shows. Now, I will be the first to admit that, despite Peter Breuninger's outstanding work on AVShowrooms, a video is not the ultimate litmus test, but I can tell you this.....quite a few of those videos both added and subtracted components from my audition list.......

In the end, I suspect that the continued growth of the WBF and the willingness of WBF members to share their systems, in the future there may no longer be a need for scads of "expert" reviewers.....though there will likely still be the few who feel the need to pontificate their vaulted opinions no matter what...

Cheers,

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
as a dealer my experience is totally opposite. We get no one from reviews, however a lot of people do attend the various shows open to the public

Yet I see audiophiles go into stores in NYC armed with Stereophile's Recommended Components List.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

It must have something to do with the products you carry. Almost all your audio brands have been established for decades. Our portfolio includes many new small companies.

You've also been around a lot longer so you've got word of mouth and you have a large free standing facility that attracts walk-ins.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My friends and I have been discussing and contemplating the end of the review process as a serious influence on the industry. I believe that way too many companies have used this as an entry into the High End Industry. It seems that the reviews no longer really influence the buying market and the more manufacturers and dealers that address the subject privately the more they agree that it no longer moves the meter in sales.

What do you think is the Reviewer going the way of the DODO bird? Yes, definitely!
What does this mean? Exactly that!
What will take its place if anything? It's already on; the Internet.
Do you even care? Profoundly. ;):D ...Not a cent!
Who killed J.R.? ( OK I went to far) Who's J.R.?
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED ON THE GRASSY KNOLL.... ...Someone was skating away.

The answers to your questions, Elliot, are highlighted within your above quote.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
What do you think is the Reviewer going the way of the DODO bird?

No, most of us like to read about different gear. It's entertainment, some better than others.

What does this mean?
What will take its place if anything?
Do you even care?

I have no idea what is being asked.

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
The internet offers a variety of opinions of every kind of qualification from scientific to purely preferential. You, of course, get what you pay for.

How will this affect the audio reviewer? It's hard to say. For reviewing recordings (in any form) I see no real issue. I don't need another compressed version of St. Saens organ symphony where you can hear the recording engineer yank down the gain at the climax to avoid clipping. Reviewers are for that, if nothing else.

For equipment, frankly, I don't know. Despite various statements, I have not found a lot of magazine reviews of equipment useful. I have found personal listening to be paramount.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com

I think it cuts both ways. People do read reviews and to some extent rely on them, but I find too many believe what they read in forums. I think there are too many audio shows.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I think there are too many audio shows.

I don't think there are enough. With the almost total demise of brick and mortar high end shops (Atlanta used to have LOTS and now maybe 2). shows are the only realistic way to hear equipment. While there are a number of shows, they don't have them everywhere. Does Dallas have a regular show? Atlanta or any major city in the southeast?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I don't think there are enough. With the almost total demise of brick and mortar high end shops (Atlanta used to have LOTS and now maybe 2). shows are the only realistic way to hear equipment. While there are a number of shows, they don't have them everywhere. Does Dallas have a regular show? Atlanta or any major city in the southeast?

Sound at shows is AWFUL.
The set up and the room is at least half the battle in a real quality system and for those of you who don't realize that then I guess the shows are useful. Hearing something improperly set up is useless to me.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Sound at shows is AWFUL.
The set up and the room is at least half the battle in a real quality system and for those of you who don't realize that then I guess the shows are useful. Hearing something improperly set up is useless to me.
re-read your post #3??

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Sound at shows is AWFUL.

+1

I've heard a few that have been very good, but they are the exception.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing