The Bird Lover's Thread

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Yuki is a beautiful bird. She seems very sweet in temperament, which isn't always the case with the female birds. You are lucky to be able to get her bonded so young, her iris hasn't turned chablis colored yet. At that point, greys look very startling and intelligent but also a lot like little feathered dinosaurs.
We have had ours for 27 years, but a kind of raspy bird, though entertaining in an odd way.
They seem to need a lot more oil in their diet than the "experts" claim, ours gets a bit of margarine every day and her feathers really became healthy after we started doing that many years ago, and her health seems ridiculously good.
You will have to establish her "zone", because they can be VERY destructive, with diabolic smart minds to go with it.
Our green mealy Amazon is a "dumb lunk" by comparison.

That's a nice Major Mitchell in your avatar!

Yuki was hand-raised by a Parrot Place affiliate. She seems sort of meloncholy most of the time. She sits perched on her play top cage for hours, eats now and then, and otherwise gives off sad whistles when anyone is nearby. The sad sounds stop when her head is being scritched with two fingers, or when she is on either mine or my wife's lap. I think she still misses her sibling brother, from whom she was separated when their owners took the birds home. I'm still working on getting her to come 'out of her shell', but it's been only a week that she's been living with us, so she's probably doing pretty well for the short time since separation.

I'm still working on 'step up' with her--she is reluctant to get off her perch and needs quite a bit of coaxing. She's had many opportunities to bite me, but has never done so. In the video, she is being very gentle with the toy goose. She didn't so much as leave a mark on it. Pretty amazing for what is essentially a hedge cutter with wings. :)

She has flown off the perch a couple of times and walks to the kitchen and sits in front of the lazy Susan and just faces it, waiting. She seems to know there's grain foods in there, as it's the only place she chooses to walk to once roaming the house.

I am a bit concerned that she observes my close relationship with my cockatiel and may feel that a relationship with me is off-limits. It's like the 'fat girl in high school that likes to hang around me' syndrome--the pretty girl may think you're in a relationship with Heavy Debbie and not take you seriously. Maybe it's not that way with parrots, but Clyde the cockatiel is like the annoying fat girl that hangs around me all the time, spoiling my chances of making out with the prettier girl, so to speak. :)

I hope she lightens up a bit in the coming weeks, because she seems rather a loner and a bit mushy and sad most of the time.

I have a playstand in my studio office, but she does not like to perch on it and flies down to the floor and roams around. I put her on the stand 4 times and that many times she flew off it and I finally let her stand on a paper towl under my desk. She eventually tried to climb my leg, so I let her sleep on my lap. My cockatiel was on my right knee and the African Grey was on my left side of my lap. It was challenging to get work done with such a large bird on my lap. Clyde fits himself under the keyboard drawer and likes to sleep there, but Yuki needs a large space. She's huge for a 13 week old CAG at 500gms in weight. The parrot place tells me average normal weight is 454gms for most of the CAGs they have raised over the years. This is the largest CAG she has had through her facility.

I think it takes 12-18 months for the eye color to turn the light yellow of adults. Right now they are dark grey, almost black irises, in color. It's going to be interesting to see how Yuki's behavior progresses. I'm starting to work on normalizing her diet and adding more variety. She didn't show any interest in sweet potato this evening, though the parrot place recommends it for a nourishing treat. She is mainly eating natural pellets and a mix of fruit pellets. I tried to offer Avicakes, but she's not yet too interested in them. I'll probably introduce Tropimix in the next day or two and see what happens.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A friend of mine just gave us a beautiful 8 foot tall birdcage from Thailand. The problem is that we are at about 95 degrees now and will likely hit highs of 100 degrees soon. Do you guys know of any birds that could actually survive these temperatures? The cage gets sun from sunrise to about 3pm. I don't want to kill anything so I'd like to know if there are any pet varieties where this type of heat is normal. TIA.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
African Greys come from central/west Africa. It gets pretty darned hot over there. It's the sun you'd have to watch for. All birds need a shady haven to escape the sun's heat. And outdoor cage probably would not be a good idea in this case, unless under a large palm tree.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the reply Mark. No palm tree to give safe haven. Too bad. :(

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
We have owned several birds over the years. My wife started off with a pair of Love birds. Why anybody name them that I have no idea. Love birds are mean bastards. The first pair we had were name Romeo and Juliet. Juliet wanted to mate constantly and Romeo wasn't up to the task so Juliet killed him.

My favorite bird was a cockatiel name Peggy. This was my wife's bird. My wife took care of her, cleaned her cage, and fed her. Peggy hated my wife and she loved me. She would hiss everytime she saw my wife. When we would come home from work, even though she couldn't see me when we came through the door, Peggy would start screaming my name. Mark! Mark! Mark! It used to **** my wife off that Peggy hated her and loved me.

Peggy used to sit on my shoulder when we watched tv or movies. Often we would have a bowl of popcorn. I would give Peggy a piece of popcorn and she loved it. If I didn't keep feeding her fast enough, she would hop down from my shoulder and get her own popcorn straight from the bowl.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Mark, Peggy sounds very familiar to me! My Cockatiel, Clyde (though now we think she's female, after a year of age), is very assertive, rules the roost and pecks at me or tweets when I don't give her enough attention. Clyde does not like to be touched with a finger. She wants to be touched with a cheek, nose or earlobe instead. Oftentimes when she's sitting on my shoulder, if we make eye contact, she'll bow and present her neck to me.. if I don't start giving her a massage with some part of my face, she'll give me a quick peck to remind me of my duty. :)

Our African Grey seems so far to be much more independent. Yuki is happy to sit on her perch most of the day, staring out the window and watching nature. Now and then, she 'speaks up' like this evening when she started squawking while I was playing the window dub of an AIDA DVD I'm preparing for a regional symphony orchestra on the TV in the dining room. I don't know whether the sound was disrupting Yuki's sleep or whether she just doesn't like opera. Sometimes when I get too close to Yuki, she makes a sound like a golden retriever crying, sort of a low moan with a high pitched whistling on top.

Yesterday, I let her explore the house a bit, allowing her to walk the hallway, to our bedroom and back to the bathroom. She spent some time on the bed and found a pile of velvety furry blanket to be a fun place to burrow and tunnel into. Sometimes when she's on her play top perch, she'll fly down to the floor and walk into the kitchen quietly. I have sometimes found her sitting in a corner, facing the lazy Susan in the kitchen, as if waiting for something to emerge from there. Her behavior is much like a chicken. She does the 'chicken scratch' while facing a wall. Another time, while walking in the livingroom, she quacked like a duck. She's still young, but some interesting behaviors are emerging.

Now, getting back to my cockatiel, Clyde is a very well-adjusted parrot, has a routine, and has me well-trained in her service. She has the run of the house, does her 'bombing missions' in the mornings when we open her cage door, and waits for me to emerge from the bedroom, at which time she lands on my shoulder and begins her routine of being a pain in the neck, literally. :) I've really grown an attachment for her, and she's really become an 'attachment' on me, like a flea on a dog, with me being the dog. She is sitting on my knee right now, napping, as I write this.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I think Yuki tried to talk this afternoon! There was too much kitchen noise, so I could not hear clearly, but at one point amongst the animal sounds, squawks and whistles, I heard the classic "African Grey male voice" in the mix, utter a couple of syllables. This, after listening to lecture tapes the night before. I think she is learning to speak. I will have to rig up a recorder that runs continuously.. Zoom H4 to the task recording in MP3 format for 50+ hours on AC adapter power..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing