The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think these Sound Lab - Sallies are interesting devices.

http://blueskiesaudio.com/ View attachment 62916 View attachment 62917

Has anyone experience with something similar?

I have heard two soundlabs ultimate, one A3, and one more mod model which Gian's fiend audio graffiti, one of the biggest distributor in Italy, had. I don't think any except the last one were set up in an ideal room, I only liked the last one. I do prefer the Logan hybrids in stats despite the bass compromise, which I can accept, they are much smaller and easier to fit in too. I love a well restored apogee scintilla and Henk's grands, they do splendid Midbass and weight, far superior to any panel and I prefer their midrange to stats.

However I gave up my apogee lust when I found that dual woofer front loaded horns with 15 or 18 did better Midbass than Henk's grands, with more speed, texture, and detail, and all the SETs glory, and retaining that Midbass feel in the vertical plane. Plus, one can combine them with high resolution horn drivers that have similar midrange and decay and transparency to electrostats.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I've never heard Sound Labs, I was just asking if ayone has heard the Sallies behind them, or DIY variation on another brand of panel speaker.

https://www.soundlab-speakers.com/accessory.html
SALLIE is an acronym that stands for "Sonic Attenuator for Lower Levels of Interference Effects". Dipole speakers, such as Sound Lab's full-range electrostatic speakers, radiate equal energy from the back side of the panel. If the listening room is over-reflective audible interference patterns can result, manifesting an undesirable condition referred to as the "comb-filtering" effect. SALLIE greatly reduces this effect and helps save on expensive acoustical room treatment. Furthermore, the effect of SALLIE is adjustable by simply altering the distance to the back of the speaker. SALLIE isn't visible since it is placed behind the speaker.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just make the dream real Ked.

I already have the drivers. I can't put them together till I get the space. Which is for any big speaker really

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I already have the drivers. I can't put them together till I get the space. Which is for any big speaker really
So you ARE going diy....nice
Have you got any pictures of the sort of thing you have in mind?

So you've moved away from dipoles....aren't horns kind of the polar opposite?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So you ARE going diy....nice
Have you got any pictures of the sort of thing you have in mind?

So you've moved away from dipoles....aren't horns kind of the polar opposite?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Depends what you mean by polar opposite. Both sound very open and natural, and I would say the dual woofer front loaded horn followed by Henk's grands is my favorite Midbass in audio.

Otherwise differences are in efficiency and ease of drive. Horns are more flexible that you can get horn loaded bass to 15 Hz as Leif gets in the second video

You can choose to have the woofers open at the back

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
I think these Sound Lab - Sallies are interesting devices.

http://blueskiesaudio.com/ View attachment 62916 View attachment 62917

Has anyone experience with something similar?

I bought a pair of Sallie's back when I had a home showroom with SoundLabs. I didn't "need" them but wanted first-hand experience so I could offer advice about when to use them and when not to.

The Sallies are an excellent solution if you have to place the SoundLabs fairly close to the wall behind them, say less than three feet. Ime when the backwave arrives too early, it tends to do more harm than good. On the other hand if you can place the SoundLabs further out from the wall, ideally five feet or more, the path-length-induced time delay on the backwave is sufficient, in which case imo the backwave is beneficial.

The curved geometry of the SoundLabs results in a "focal point" a couple feet or so behind the diaphram, and when the Sallie is placed at that focal point, it does its job (absorption) very well. I had plenty of room behind my SoundLabs so I sold the Sallies after I had become familiar with them.

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
We used to have that mid horn arrangement on the sound system i crewed. I always thought it was to give a more uniform dispersion, so a big crowd can get the effect of having an individual horn pointing in their direction. So what I'm asking is it still applicable when the setup is designed for just a couple of people?
I like the idea of dipole subs, btw

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We used to have that mid horn arrangement on the sound system i crewed. I always thought it was to give a more uniform dispersion, so a big crowd can get the effect of having an individual horn pointing in their direction. So what I'm asking is it still applicable when the setup is designed for just a couple of people?
I like the idea of dipole subs, btw

The horns can be changed. The multicell give wider dispersion, and you need some distance from side walls. The circular ones like tractrix will give narrower.

You must have used the vintage Altec metal horns on your system. These are wooden replicas which are known to be much better for home audio, though the wide dispersion still holds

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I dunno Ked....your increasing appreciation of electronica, and of life below 15 hertz....starting to think we might actually have some fun if you come 'round!

Next thing youre saying how much you like Belgian beer and fine cannabis ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Haha, I am not appreciating electronica yet. I am just saying that 15 Hz is possible, I have appreciated it before with some subs. I do think midbass is toughest to achieve and is the Achilles heel of most if not all systems. Midrange and highs are possible with many designs - horns, ribbons, electrostats. What dual woofer front loaded horns due to their midbass allow you to do is integrate it from top to bottom.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
There are many ways to achieve great mid-bass. Currently enjoying exceptional mid-bass performance from my new 4-way active horn system:

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
There are many ways to achieve great mid-bass. Currently enjoying exceptional mid-bass performance from my new 4-way active horn system:

Can i ask who the artist is playing in that vid?
Closest i can get is Alabama3....

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Hi Baffled,

Yes this was on Vyger Indian. I just acquired a Vyger myself - please see my thread in the turntable forum. I have never heard analogue as good in my room as I am getting - utterly sota turntable. Definitely recommend checking one out!

In terms of BD4 - that is a driver that features in Pnoe and Axjet only - very big step up on a BD3. I have listened to a lot of single full range drivers for last 6 months straight including Voxativ, Stamm and AER. The BD4 is crazy good and very even handed - also can take enormous power versus say a Boxatic that would just rip up.
Bill, which version of the Stamm driver did you listen to? The original tri-axial with the Loth-X version of a whizzer? Or the revised version without the whizzer? I have the original Stefan Stamm drivers with the whizzer and it is the best single full range driver that I have heard. They are extremely fast, able to reproduce detail, nuance and articulate bass far better than any driver of its kind that have come across my ears. These are truly special drivers

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing