Best bang for the buck used speakers under $50k ?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
My recommendation is to audition a new pair of Wilson Sasha DAW. Sublime performance, strong resale, terrific build quality.

For used, look at the Alexia 2s.

Reactions: asiufy

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Bondi, I agree that the S and Q are fairly different sounding as you found. I do like the S5 Mk2 much more than the Mk1. I have heard the Q3 and both S5s in four or five systems, but never in the same system at the same session. The Mk2 and Q3 would be an interesting direct comparison in the same system. I will say that I own the Q3 and did not consider the S5 mk2 based on my auditions, cost, and aesthetics. I think they are both excellent, but they appeal to different tastes.

Smodtactical, If I were both able and willing to spend $50K, I would certainly consider the M2 or a used M3 along with the S5 Mk2. I suspect they all sound slightly different from each other and certainly different from the others on your list.

Buying speakers is a very personal choice based on many factors. I encourage you to listen to as many of the speakers on your list as possible with your own music in well set up systems. Take your time making a careful and deliberate choice. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Observation: I am amazed how good the A5s sound versus the S3 Mk II. Tremendous value for dollar.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee, how would you describe the difference in sound between those two speakers?

It feels like the midrange is improved in some way. That new driver just seems to build on Alon's prior expertise. Maybe a little less so versus the S3 mk2 on bass. The A5 is very musical. I think Alon has a new hit on his hands.

Reactions: PeterA

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This is rare air for me. $50k used translates to about $100k new. IMO that is all out no compromise area. Not best bang for buck
Definitely take the advice of those who have owned the speaker and lived with it. I have not.
For non electrostic:

Nola two box per channel.
Or the Magico M3.

I don't know how available they are used.

For electrostatic:
try ml (e2) or Soundlab.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing