The Artist

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Wondering how Oscar will manage to keep a straight face when putting this in the best Foreign Language category!:p

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The Artist - Edition Prestige Blu-ray Disc + DVD + Original Soundtrack [Blu-ray]

...Comin' February 15, 2012. :b

----------

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw this film yesterday with my wife and it was a masterpiece done in 4 x 3 format and black and white. It is a silent movie about a silent movie star and another younger female lead who goes on to become a success in the new "talkies" era. The music will make you laugh and bring a tear to your eye as it is simply that good and needs to be considered for Best Film (although my sentimental favorite remains The Help).

BTW, the Jack Russell wire terrier whose name in real life is Uggie deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor :) as he is amazing in the film

Jean Dujardin plays George Valentin and IMO I have not seen a better deserving role this year for Best Actor than him

The female lead is played by the very beautiful Bérénice Bejo who also IMO will be nominated for Best Actress and quite possibly will win

Smaller roles are played by John Goodman who has slimmed down some, James Cromwell who plays Clifton, the chauffer and Malcolm McDowell who plays the Butler.

The movie is played out as a silent film with some very interesting twists. You don't need to read lips to love this movie. The acting done by all will draw you in and not let you go until the rolling credits at the end

This movie is a gem and is a must see and is on my list for the Best Movie of the year. It is simply that good

I also predict nomination for Best Director Michel Hazanavicius

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Saw it in Scotland recently - as they said back in the late 20s: "The Talkies will ruin the Movies".

Brilliant.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And it's on the radar for ART reborn in Hollywood.

* Perhaps we'll see more coming (Silent B&W) in the next recent tomorrows?
As an Art form, I'm all in. As a Money Maker, I'm all out. Not in this DNA age.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Steve Williams

As I said earlier my sentimental favorite remains The Help however having seen this film I can promise a motion picture experience like none other. It very easily can be Best Film at this year's Oscars but I am also betting on it also receiving Best Actor, quite possibly Best Actress and Best Director

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
'The Artist': the Film, the Acting, the Story, the Screenplay, the Picture, the Sound

Please see the film Bob before you make such sweeping editorials. One of the most innovative films I have ever seen. Quite possibly Oscar winner for Best Film

Steve, I think you read me on the wrong side of life's true meaning.

What I said is that I love Artistic movies with a different twist, including Silent movies and filmed in Black & White celluloid (or digital photography).

And that as a money maker, true ART form will unfortunately sink, I think.

Jeez, I'll have to relearn the English language, or ignore my French origins.
The former is thee one.

I am so sorry about that Steve. I've seen the critics speak about this flick, and it is highly praised indeed.
And it should earn several Oscar nominations comes tomorrow; including best screenplay, best actor, even best picture, and best adaptation and originality, plus ...

That is exactly how I get into trouble in life sometimes, and get even banned!
Just because of misunderstanding, lack of clarity, killing of creativity, language discrimination and barriers, refusal of poetic world, unacceptance of differences, and/or pure and simple hatred caused from the priors.

It is tough sometimes to be understood by all; the story of our life's stories ...

Give it some more time (patience), and we'll get there doc. :b
Your honesty and free speech (not afraid of saying so), will certainly help me in this exciting challenge.

Already I learned that you are a practical man, and you speak in clear and simple words.
I can too, but I chose not too. And just because so. So that we all know that there is nothing absolute in this world, in particular with ARTS (Sound, Picture, etc.), but if only that we always aspire to a better world ...

I'm a thinker Steve, a talker, a philosopher, a constructor of words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs, a verbal audio/video aficionado, a videophile and an audiophile.

I go deeper than your average poster, member, interlocutor.
Without being technical, but simply from the purity of spirit, actions, and experiences.

I cannot being simple too often. Only occasionally. That's just who I am. Each post, each word makes me travel further, and search deeper into EVERYTHING that the world is and should be.
And that's the way it works for me.

** I will see 'The Artist' on Blu-ray next month or so, and will eventually elaborate more ...
And if I am not allowed to post in this thread right here because I did not see the film, and only read about it, seen some previews, reviews, and others talk about it, then fine, I will not post here.
But that's not what I read here, or unless I'm the one misunderstanding the goal of this thread.

Nah, just a simple misunderstanding from you Steve, right? :b

P.S. I had to cut short my post' title because of limited characters.
At several audio/video sites I could not/cannot fully express myself because of limited characters in each individual PM (I often go over 10,000 characters on a single PM).
And only 50 PMs just ain't enough for a guy of my caliber. But I learned to live with this over the years, and adapt. Or find new ways of communicating.

- Some sites ban you for posting too much! Others don't appreciate your contributions! And some don't even give you a chance to live!

Here it's all good, the people are all nice, I'm happy (very happy); so then it should be all smooth and swell sailing here. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Methinks that my previous post wasn't a "sweeping editorials" Steve. Not for a single bit.

* Other posts of mine are certainly stories within a message, but I do not perceive them as "sweeping editorials".
I am not a pro reviewer, I'm just a simple guy using a vocabulary included in the English dictionaries.

"Sweeping editorials"; is that mean somethin' good? Or lesser good?

Steve Williams

Steve, I think you read me on the wrong side of life's true meaning.

What I said is that I love Artistic movies with a different twist, including Silent movies and filmed in Black & White celluloid (or digital photography).

And that as a money maker, true ART form will unfortunately sink, I think.

Jeez, I'll have to relearn the English language, or ignore my French origins.
The former is thee one.

I am so sorry about that Steve. I've seen the critics speak about this flick, and it is highly praised indeed.
And it should earn several Oscar nominations comes tomorrow; including best screenplay, best actor, even best picture, and best adaptation and originality, plus ...

That is exactly how I get into trouble in life sometimes, and get even banned!
Just because of misunderstanding, lack of clarity, killing of creativity, language discrimination and barriers, refusal of poetic world, unacceptance of differences, and/or pure and simple hatred caused from the priors.

It is tough sometimes to be understood by all; the story of our life's stories ...

Give it some more time (patience), and we'll get there doc. :b
Your honesty and free speech (not afraid of saying so), will certainly help me in this exciting challenge.

Already I learned that you are a practical man, and you speak in clear and simple words.
I can too, but I chose not too. And just because so. So that we all know that there is nothing absolute in this world, in particular with ARTS (Sound, Picture, etc.), but if only that we always aspire to a better world ...

I'm a thinker Steve, a talker, a philosopher, a constructor of words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs, a verbal audio/video aficionado, a videophile and an audiophile.

I go deeper than your average poster, member, interlocutor.
Without being technical, but simply from the purity of spirit, actions, and experiences.

I cannot being simple too often. Only occasionally. That's just who I am. Each post, each word makes me travel further, and search deeper into EVERYTHING that the world is and should be.
And that's the way it works for me.

** I will see 'The Artist' on Blu-ray next month or so, and will eventually elaborate more ...
And if I am not allowed to post in this thread right here because I did not see the film, and only read about it, seen some previews, reviews, and others talk about it, then fine, I will not post here.
But that's not what I read here, or unless I'm the one misunderstanding the goal of this thread.

Nah, just a simple misunderstanding from you Steve, right? :b

P.S. I had to cut short my post' title because of limited characters.
At several audio/video sites I could not/cannot fully express myself because of limited characters in each individual PM (I often go over 10,000 characters on a single PM).
And only 50 PMs just ain't enough for a guy of my caliber. But I learned to live with this over the years, and adapt. Or find new ways of communicating.

- Some sites ban you for posting too much! Others don't appreciate your contributions! And some don't even give you a chance to live!

Here it's all good, the people are all nice, I'm happy (very happy); so then it should be all smooth and swell sailing here. :b

Hey Bob

I must indeed have misread you because IMO you of all people on this board would appreciate the art in this film. It's right up your alley

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Of course Steve it's right there up my alley! I studied photograhy and Cinema history at college.
I was even a projectionist at one point. I worked in a Theater concert hall as an assistant 'eclairagiste' and sound designer.
I know about Japanese Cinema, Italian Cinema, French Cinema, Canadian Cinema, American Cinema, and all the great French and Italian and Mexican famous painters, and their technics, and life's dedication to their ART. And sculptures too, and various mediums, etc., etc., etc. Architecture ...

Of all pictures, B&W have always been and still are my favorite ones (all my Dad's were).
Same for moving pictures.
And Dad had few Leica cameras.

- You know, it is just the way I phrase my words Steve, I can see that now from your perspective,
and I apologize for that.
With you I'll make an effort to be clear and simple 'dorenavant'.

And just wait till I view that film ... :b
{I hope there isn't any limit on the number (absolute) of words that can be contained inside a single post!} ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Today the Oscar nominees were announced. => http://oscar.go.com/nominees

And 'The Artist' garnered no less than ten (10)! :cool:

1. Best Picture
2. Best Actor (Leading Role)
3. Best Actress (Supporting Role)
4. Best Cinematography
5. Best Art Direction
6. Best Costume Design
7. Best Directing
8. Best Film Editing
9. Best Music (Original Score)
10. Best Writing (Original Screenplay)

* Not too shabby hey!

-> Steve, it means VERY GOOD! :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing