The American Sound Turntable- Beyond's Minimalist!

djsina2

May 30, 2019
That makes no sense, to have any saving effect, the ring would have to be higher than the bearing surfaces, that are very close themselves, the platter has to rotate without touching the ring.
The bearing is not the concern for damage, it’s the plinth surface.

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
Air or hydrodynamic bearing are very nice. Introducing anything other than an incredibly flat, dry and rigid surface destroys the effect. So oil and teflon are out.

In turntables unfortunately we need air pressure, since the velocity is to low to have a pure hydrodynamic effect at atmospheric pressure. If we could have higher angular velocities we could due with a purely passive bearing effect.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The bearing is not the concern for damage, it’s the plinth surface.
The plinth surface in the CSport is part of the bearing, that is the problem. The bearing always has to be the closest point, or it won't rotate.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Air or hydrodynamic bearing are very nice. Introducing anything other than an incredibly flat, dry and rigid surface destroys the effect. So oil and teflon are out.

In turntables unfortunately we need air pressure, since the velocity is to low to have a pure hydrodynamic effect at atmospheric pressure. If we could have higher angular velocities we could due with a purely passive bearing effect.

You could have a user replaceable “disk” then of the same or different hard and flat material so if there ever was damage the entire plinth is not needing replacement. This is similar to the TechDAS glass disc.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well … That might be because I have just logged on … So Toddle off now and play ‘Pretend Speaker Manufacturer‘

I just got back from a dealer visit.
FYI he liked them a lot and they are at the shop for the moment ( brussels) for an extended period .
Without any advertising and my first dealer demonstration.
Now its your turn again Argo :cool:.

Now on topic i like the shape of the new "absolute nothing " much more then the old one .
The other looked like a block of INOX ( inoxidable )which it was i suppose
The new one looks like ART

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tima and Argonaut

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No he is not on WBF at least i dont think so.
I certainly did nt meet him via WBF
He is a local dealer and i just contacted him privately

ok that explains…

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Now on topic i like the shape of the new "absolute nothing " much more then the old one .
The other looked like a block of INOX ( inoxidable )which it was i suppose
The new one looks like ART
In TT looks wise I like simple stuff. So I liked the looks of the first one a lot.

I normally don’t like the looks of complicated TTs as I am generally an audio skeptic till the equipment proves otherwise, and glitter sets off my spider sense

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur and Argonaut

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
In TT looks wise I like simple stuff. So I liked the looks of the first one a lot.

I normally don’t like the looks of complicated TTs as I am generally an audio skeptic till the equipment proves otherwise, and glitter sets off my spider sense
Vyger doesn’t look particularly simple. Isn’t that you desert island TT?

Reactions: Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Vyger doesn’t look particularly simple. Isn’t that you desert island TT?

i didn’t say I liked it for the looks. And yes I was skeptical of it before. The looks grew on me only after a lot of familiarity with it

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
i didn’t say I liked it for the looks. And yes I was skeptical of it before. The looks grew on me only after a lot of familiarity with it
You said you like simplicity…something it is not…

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have not heard the table , but i like the YT sound .
Is stainless steel the ideal platter material then ?
I like the material its very heavy / "almost " timeless

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have not heard the table , but i like the YT sound .
Is stainless steel the ideal platter material then ?
I like the material its very heavy / "almost " timeless
Gunmetal used to be the platter material of choice…dense and completely non-magnetic.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You said you like simplicity…something it is not…

no read the post again I was referring in looks. “I normally don’t like the looks of complicated TTs”

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Gunmetal used to be the platter material of choice…dense and completely non-magnetic.
My bottom platter is 30kg lead, the top is none magnetic steel, "You cant ring my bell !" ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
HIFI is all about resonance control .
TT speakers etc .
The music freq/ vibrations have to be able to to depart unaltered from a stable platform .
DDKs TT proves it Kharma exquisite proves it and Rockport Lyra are all completely stable (dead) structures/ platforms for music to shine on.
It makes time seemingly go slower with much more detail retrieval.

Ps i have a feeling a LAMM LL1.1 ML3 could certainly pull me over to the SET camp .
How ever all those tubes require a lot off maintenance i suppose .

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
TT speakers etc .
The music freq/ vibrations have to be able to to depart unaltered form a stable platform .
DDKs TT proves it Kharma exquisite proves it and Rockport Lyra are all completely stable (dead) structures/ platforms for music to shine on.

Ps i have a feeling a LAMM LL1.1 ML3 could certainly pull me over to the SET camp .
How ever all those tubes require a lot off maintenance i suppose .
No worse than you CAT amp.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
TT speakers etc .
The music freq/ vibrations have to be able to to depart unaltered form a stable platform .

While DDK believes in stable and "dead" turntables, I don't think he believes in "dead" speaker cabinets, given that he favors vintage designs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing