The American Sound Turntable- Beyond's Minimalist!

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
And that approach is… ? What can you tell us?

(Is there someplace this is all detailed?)

i’m not at liberty to discuss it Bob. it’s probably best to move the conversation along to a different topic. This thread is not really the place to discuss the new turntable. This thread is about the original American Sound turntable.

David Karmeli is no longer here and Bonzo started the discussion by sharing a private video. So I started the new thread on the subject of the new turntable.

Reactions: Bobvin

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo started the discussion by sharing a private video.

hi Peter, that’s not a private video. It is on Facebook and David’s YT

Reactions: sujay

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not on David’s YT when you posted it.

the link I have posted is to David’s YT. That’s where the readers of my link heard it

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the link I have posted is to David’s YT. That’s where the readers of my link heard it
it's not listed on that YT page, but the link takes you there. so it's 'hidden' and 'private' and not on the open page. not findable by search or accessing the page, you need the link.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
it's not listed on that YT page, but the link takes you there. so it's 'hidden' and 'private' and not on the open page.

ah ok. I copied the link from FB

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
it's not listed on that YT page, but the link takes you there. so it's 'hidden' and 'private' and not on the open page. not findable by search or accessing the page, you need the link.

Exactly right Mike. I can’t find it either on his YT channel. They are private at this point. The videos I posted were sent to me by David and he told me I could post them on the new thread.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The air gap between the two sliding surfaces is only a few micrometers. If these are damaged by a drop in air pressure or leakage, the bearing is scrap. There must be a safety feature for emergency operation. Today there are other good materials that no longer require lubrication, e.g. S-green(c) plastic.

Well you could but you gotta keep the temp constant .
For example teflon bushings expand a lot
We have mixers running at 200 ° C .
And we had major problems to find the right material for the bottom bearing application
We give a 60 mm teflon/ glass bushing a 2 mm manufacturing clearance with a stellite shaft sleeve .
Expansion is about 1.5 mm iow clearance is only O,5 mm at working temp

Room temp is different off course but with those tight airbearing tolerances it could be an issue .
If for example the workshop temp is 15 °C and the living room temp is ranging from 18 - 24 °C

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Exactly right Mike. I can’t find it either on his YT channel. They are private at this point. The videos I posted were sent to me by David and he told me I could post them on the new thread.

it was posted by Andrew Tan on FB

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
For example teflon bushings expand .
And we had major problems to find the right material for the bottom bearing application
We give a 60 mm teflon/ glass bushing a 2 mm manufacturing clearance with a stellite shaft sleeve .

Room temp is different off course but with those tight airbearing tolerances it could be an issue .
If for example the workshop temp is 15 °C and the living room temp is ranging from 18 - 24 °C
Depends a lot on material expansion coefficients how tight the tolerances end up.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
For example teflon bushings expand a lot

Tw-acustic uses for bottom bearing S-grün with steelball

exactly. ask people who have an old Apolyt the airbearing cannot rotate below 18 degrees room temperature.
P.S
If you want to buy an air bearing then buy from Aerolas, they are the market leader for this kind of thing. The quality is far better than anything else.

Last edited:

cdk84

Dec 19, 2015
What help were you ?
So, IF you don’t mind my asking, who are you to ask such a question? ( How many American Sound turntables have You set up? Have you ever heard one? )

Simply asking to inquire about your challenge to PeterA, who is something of an American Sound TT expert, though he would never be the one to say so.

As stated, with any respect that might be due, what is Your experience with American Sound turntables? What do you know of their design principles, construction, function or performance?

I’m most keen to learn.

Reactions: trekpilot and tima

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
So, IF you don’t mind my asking, who are you to ask such a question? ( How many American Sound turntables have You set up? Have you ever heard one? )

Simply asking to inquire about your challenge to PeterA, who is something of an American Sound TT expert, though he would never be the one to say so.

As stated, with any respect that might be due, what is Your experience with American Sound turntables? What do you know of their design principles, construction, function or performance?

I’m most keen to learn.
As a member of this forum I can ask whatever question I like within the confines of the forum rules , thats who I am .

My experience extends as far as a good 99% of other forum members who are relying upon a couple of interviews conveying little real detailed technical information regarding these turntables other that a handful of sound bites emanating out of Utah via Boston , together with the endless promotion of these turntables, and the maker, on the forum by a handful of the manufacturers acolytes of which you are one of them .

I see that you have had your string pulled .

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Thanks
https://www.newwayairbearings.com/catalog/air-bushings/

Have a look at this site for an example of an air bushing. The manufacturer of the bushing would specify the needed "clearance" between spindle and bushing along with a recommended air pressure.

Scott
Below sentence from the link you shared drew my attention and offers a solution to the biggest problem cause IMO the real concern on an air bearing platter is thrust.

If your usage case requires one end to be constrained axially, we also offer thrust bushings as an extension of air bushing technology.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What happens if the electricity goes off?

ddk designed his tables to be driven by Purepower, or some such power thingy

• Haha
Reactions: sujay and Lagonda

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Audio is a combination of science and witchcraft , easy to see the warlocks from the wizards ..!

:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing