The All Electric BMW i3

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
You don't have to tell me. Blatant display of speed was not on my mind when I bought this car (and it probably never will be). Driving the longer route home from work was enough to do it.

Then why would your experience, regarding folks not lining up with you, have any relevance? You drive a fairly plain, common machine and you seem to know it. So, what was all that about? Just wanted to disagree for the sake of disagreeing, when your position in (automotive) life hinges on the pedestrian level.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Then why would your experience, regarding folks not lining up with you, have any relevance?

Is your experience with all things automotive the last word? I shared my experience that people driving hybrids were not the type trying to compensate for something by drag racing. I even prefaced this by saying around here (where I live). The type to engage in this kind of behavior are your very own Fast and Furious tuner crowd.

You drive a fairly plain, common machine and you seem to know it. So, what was all that about? Just wanted to disagree for the sake of disagreeing, when your position in (automotive) life hinges on the pedestrian level.

What does my driving a plain common machine have to do with your haughty attitude towards other people choosing to drive what suits them? Be it "gerbil" cars or M3s. Also you are assuming this is the only performance car I have owned or driven. FWIW one of the reasons I chose it is its handling on back roads and secondly it's not lowered so far that it would cause (many) problems to the car or my back since some of these roads aren't in the best shape, doubly so when you're driving fast. I would also much rather thrash a used M3 than a GT3.

By the way there is no need to add "honestly no offense" if you don't actually mean it. This much is clear from your following post again reminding me of my banal auto.

It's fantastic car. Arguably, the best of the M3-series.

You do realize that rally cars are made to corner as their prime directive? No, you obviously don't, but you seem to think you know something about automobiles, because you once owned a BMW and you use the word "twisties. So sophisticated. ;)

Has es347 shared his car history or driving experience in some other thread? I could have missed it. But you're again making an assumption if he hasn't.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
You know the saying, "It takes one to know one?" I knew Bill Hart. You guys, not so much.

Edit: A cow has for legs and a dog has four legs; therefore, a dog is a cow. That's the functional equivalent of this discussion. We all own cars, but that does not in any way shape or form put us on equal footing. Just as many people own stereos....

Just out of curiosity, Mr.Twisties, you in your M3 and me in my wife's Kia minivan on the back roads. Do you think you could keep up with me or any other individual who takes the art high-performance driving seriously? I bet you think you could do it. I mean, it's a M3, right? The car just drives itself. ;)

Last edited:

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
You know the saying, "It takes one to know one?" I knew Bill Hart. You guys, not so much.

Edit: A cow has for legs and a dog has four legs; therefore, a dog is a cow. That's the functional equivalent of this discussion. We all own cars, but that does not in any way shape or form put us on equal footing. Just as many people own stereos....

Just out of curiosity, Mr.Twisties, you in your M3 and me in my wife's Kia minivan on the back roads. Do you think you could keep up with me or any other individual who takes the art high-performance driving seriously? I bet you think you could do it. I mean, it's a M3, right? The car just drives itself. ;)

Some of the best audio systems I've heard are from guys that have never once posted in an audio forum. Similarly I don't post in WBF car threads because most of them are asking for recommendations. Or about new super cars I have no interest in.

Is Mr.Twisties me or es347? I did not use that word. If you are referring to me, I've taken Penguin School of Racing prior to doing track days on an 888 when I was still riding bikes which greatly improved my car skills as well. I don't think I would have much of any problem keeping up with a Kia Minivan.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Is Mr.Twisties me or es347? I did not use that word. If you are referring to me, I've taken Penguin School of Racing prior to doing track days on an 888 when I was still riding bikes which greatly improved my car skills as well. I don't think I would have much of any problem keeping up with a Kia Minivan.

Like seriously? Ever tell this to actual car people? Not at a comedy club, I mean.

I really don't want this to turn into a pissing contest. You don't like my views on stupidly slow cars who try to race me on the street. I can live with that. Any other issues bothering you today?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Like seriously? Ever tell this to actual car people? Not at a comedy club, I mean.

What could I have typed that you wouldn't have denigrated? That's all you've done in this thread. The majority of the bike people I know are car people.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
What could I have typed that you wouldn't have denigrated? That's all you've done in this thread.

Actually, you were the one who first posted to me and tried calling me out. Not the other way around. I tried talking cars; you tried dissecting me, personally. Now you're complaining. Do you think that such a thing is worthy of respect?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Actually, you were the one who first posted to me and tried calling me out. Not the other way around. I tried talking cars; you tried dissecting me, personally. Now you're complaining. Do you think that such a thing is worthy of respect?

If trying to talk cars is insulting a demographic of drivers, then that one went way over my head. Followed up by ad hominem attacks on my lack of knowledge about cars, driving skill, etc. I should have known it was futile to give a serious reply to that Kia post. To everyone not involved in this scuttle sorry for the thread derail.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Anyway Felix, sorry if it sounded like I personally attacked you (this was never the intent) and the sarcasm in my second post.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
If trying to talk cars is insulting a demographic of drivers, then that one went way over my head. Followed up by ad hominem attacks on my lack of knowledge about cars, driving skill, etc. I should have known it was futile to give a serious reply to that Kia post. To everyone not involved in this scuttle sorry for the thread derail.

We came in 4th overall in the first event we ever ran (that was 30 years ago). Needless to say, we were elated until a BFGoodrich factory pilot ran a few exhibition laps. He bested our time by more than 10 seconds. That's an eternity, a lifetime in carland, all driven by the simple concept of skill behind the wheel. Given everything you've said, you're just a guy with a BMW who went to a motorcycle school at some point in his life, and who has no idea how carguys talk to each other. Why not? Because, you're just an average guy who is not a part of our community. Yes, I'll run circles around you in a Kia minivan. You wouldn't even see the Kia's taillights after the first few corners on the back roads. No question. It's not the car that'll make the difference. You'd know that, too, if you were ...well ...that sort of an individual. I hope you enjoyed your M3. FWIW, I wouldn't line up with it, either. ;)

Do you still what to know what the secret sign is?

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
It's fantastic car. Arguably, the best of the M3-series.

You do realize that rally cars are made to corner as their prime directive? No, you obviously don't, but you seem to think you know something about automobiles, because you once owned a BMW and you use the word "twisties. So sophisticated. ;)

Sorry Felix if I hit a nerve. You are correct sir in that I surely don't know cars like you apparently do. My son owns the Impreza WRX and I've ridden in but haven't driven it. Correct you are...the WRX AWD is one designed for handling and not the AWD that BMW offers for old farts like me and the snow. But with my lower back issues his little rocket and I just don't mesh so I'll just have to stick with those poor handing German u-boats. Funny, I've owned 10 BMWs over the years two of which were M cars: an 85 M6 and the aforementioned 98 M3 yet still don't know one end from the other. How can you explain it? Guess I'm just one of those guys without aptitude for such things.

Ok no more use of the word twisties. From this day forward it will be curves. Do you have any other demeaning comments about me that you like to post? :D

Last edited:

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Sorry Felix if I hit a nerve.

Admittedly, I have a low level of tolerance for ignorance.

You are correct sir in that I surely don't know cars like you apparently do. My son owns the Impreza WRX and I've ridden in but haven't driven it. Correct you are...the WRX AWD is one designed for handling....

That's what Subaru's ads would like one to believe. The car is a glorified snowplow.

... and not the AWD that BMW offers for old farts like me and the snow.

True, it's a safety-driven application.

But with my lower back issues his little rocket and I just don't mesh so I'll just have to stick with those poor handing German u-boats. Funny, I've owned 10 BMWs over the years two of which were M cars: an 85 M6 and the aforementioned 98 M3 yet still don't know one end from the other. How can you explain it? Guess I'm just one of those guys without aptitude for such things.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean or why we're even talking about this.

Do you have any other demeaning comments about me that you like to post? :D

You're the one who posted to me, like the other chap, not the other way around. Believe me when I say that I'm more insulted by this discussion than you may imagine:

Say you're a very accomplished woodworker, you've spend decades perfecting your skill, testing it frequently by taking on more challenging projects and submitting them for peer review, and in time you reach a certain plateau. One day, in an OT thread about woodworking, as you discuss the process in an accepted manner familiar to other accomplished woodworkers, and a couple of folks who know only enough about the topic to buy the tools - and the populist ones at that - decide to act adversarially, because they're too ignorant to dwell deeper into the subject matter and understand what is actually being said. Worse, this is an applied pursuit, and these folks have not put in the effort, the sacrifice, the physical investment to step into the same shoes. Yet, in their minds, they're just like the original guy, the woodworker, because all their posts look the same on the board and they all own their own hammers. Ridiculous, right? Insulting? Sure.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing