The All Electric BMW i3

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not very sexy is it. Maybe the one that will slot between this and the i8 will be.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
The ultimate driving machine eh? Not...

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
or, the ugliest driving machine

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Why would you drive a coal powered vehicle anyway?

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..it means that jazdoc is on the anti coal-fired generation bandwagon..

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
fossil fuel perhaps

If I may, a little OT, why is it that almost everyone in an electric/hybrid doorstop wants to line up with (in this case) me and my AWD, 400whp homologated rally car? I usually wait a second or two and let them (errr...) accelerate, before launching and passing them as I shift out of first. Delusions of grandeur? A blind belief driven and buttressed by an equally clueless anti-automotive squad of the same? I don't get it. Honestly.

Drive whatever you want, for all I care. Just remember what it actually is.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
If I may, a little OT, why is it that almost everyone in an electric/hybrid doorstop wants to line up with (in this case) me and my AWD, 400whp homologated rally car? I usually wait a second or two and let them (errr...) accelerate, before launching and passing them as I shift out of first. Delusions of grandeur? A blind belief driven and buttressed by an equally clueless anti-automotive squad of the same? I don't get it. Honestly.

Drive whatever you want, for all I care. Just remember what it actually is.

Why do you think "almost everyone" that "lines up with" you wants to drag race? :rolleyes:

Maybe there is some special sign that is flashed that I am not hip to.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
The costs of producing ANY highway vehicle [from raw materials to finished product] is the greatest consumption of energy.
If you want to be conservative, keep your existing vehicle [petrochemical, hydrogen, electric, etc.] or buy used.
Of course we know why this is not routinely advocated in the "free press" [oxymoron].
zz

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Why do you think "almost everyone" that "lines up with" you wants to drag race? :rolleyes:

Not "almost everyone," but quite a few hybrids/electrics. At least 7 out of 10. You know, wankermobiles. When the car launches just as the light is about to change, tires kinda spin and the gerbil under the hood sounds like it's spinning in his cage as fast as he can it doesn't take a Noble Prize to get the idea. Remember, they go first. :)

Do you really, truly understand what "lines up" means? It's not pulling up to the light in a parallel manner.

Maybe there is some special sign that is flashed that I am not hip to.

It's called knowing the car culture.

BTW, there actually is a special sign that's been in existence (AFAIK) since the 50s. No one really uses it anymore. Things are more obvious these days.

Edit: IMNSHE, (OT) the absolute worst offenders are VW Golf TDI drivers and folks in Optima turbos. I just don't understand why. One could likely pass either jogging in his Nikes. Guys in serious cars almost never do this. Likely, they understand what they're up against, vs ...well... you know.

Last edited:

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Not "almost everyone," but quite a few hybrids/electrics. At least 7 out of 10. You know, wankermobiles. When the car launches just as the light is about to change, tires kinda spin and the gerbil under the hood sounds like it's spinning in his cage as fast as he can it doesn't take a Noble Prize to get the idea. Remember, they go first. :)

Do you really, truly understand what "lines up" means? It's not pulling up to the light in a parallel manner.

It's called knowing the car culture.

BTW, there actually is a special sign that's been in existence (AFAIK) since the 50s. No one really uses it anymore. Things are more obvious these days.

Edit: IMNSHE, (OT) the absolute worst offenders are VW Golf TDI drivers and folks in Optima turbos. I just don't understand why. One could likely pass either jogging in his Nikes. Guys in serious cars almost never do this. Likely, they understand what they're up against, vs ...well... you know.

I am not worthy of this highly mature "culture". Maybe I can be one step closer if I name drop my E46 M3 and insult others driving a far more environmentally sound car than I. Or some stickers for the car could do it.

-2 points for my petrolhead-ness for defending those hamster mobiles :) But I am the one that has the last laugh when I pay for
premium at 18 mpg; 3% cash back on fossil fuel.

Sarcasm aside I'm well aware of what you're talking about. I have never seen this sort of behavior from someone driving a hybrid. But I also don't see higher performance hybrids around here; most are of the Prius, Camry, Insight variety. Most people looking drag are adolescents in tuner mobiles. I don't give them the satisfaction. It's more fun to drive backroads. Even driving fast on the motorways has lost its appeal.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I am not worthy of this highly mature "culture". Maybe I can be one step closer if I name drop my E46 M3 and insult others driving a far more environmentally sound car than I. Or some stickers for the car could do it.

-2 points for my petrolhead-ness for defending those hamster mobiles :) But I am the one that has the last laugh when I pay for
premium at 18 mpg; 3% cash back on fossil fuel.

Sarcasm aside I'm well aware of what you're talking about. I have never seen this sort of behavior from someone driving a hybrid. But I also don't see higher performance hybrids around here; most are of the Prius, Camry, Insight variety. Most people looking drag are adolescents in tuner mobiles. I don't give them the satisfaction. It's more fun to drive backroads. Even driving fast on the motorways has lost its appeal.

Honestly no offence, the BMW isn't really a blatant display of speed even standing still. FWIW, I don't run in a straight line as a means of automotive enthusiasm, but it can be fun, especially when the invitation comes from such a hilarious source.

Here's a relatively recent example: Altima Hybrid, four young (grown) men inside - average weight, what, ~180lbs - car shod with chrome dubs. A rotational mass only eclipsed by the aggregate weight of downtown Pittsburgh, and they want to run. How much of a head start do you think I gave them? lol

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Honestly no offence, the BMW isn't really a blatant display of speed even standing still.

You don't have to tell me. Blatant display of speed was not on my mind when I bought this car (and it probably never will be). Driving the longer route home from work was enough to do it.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
"I am not worthy of this highly mature "culture". Maybe I can be one step closer if I name drop my E46 M3 and insult others driving a far more environmentally sound car than I. Or some stickers for the car could do it."

I no longer own my '98 E36 M3 and sure do miss it. With it's 240hp, low by today's standards it certainly would be no match for these little hi-revving Japanese rally cars. But I'd take a 15 year old M3 any day over these little motorized skateboards. To drive an M3 on the twisties is quite a rush...an addictive one at that.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I no longer own my '98 E36 M3 and sure do miss it.

It's fantastic car. Arguably, the best of the M3-series.

With it's 240hp, low by today's standards it certainly would be no match for these little hi-revving Japanese rally cars. But I'd take a 15 year old M3 any day over these little motorized skateboards. To drive an M3 on the twisties is quite a rush...an addictive one at that.

You do realize that rally cars are made to corner as their prime directive? No, you obviously don't, but you seem to think you know something about automobiles, because you once owned a BMW and you use the word "twisties. So sophisticated. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing