The Alexia's are HERE!

In this vein, what made you decide on the Alexia's rather than MAXX 3's?

I felt the weak point of the Wilson speakers was the titanium tweeter. I know a lot of other people hated it as well. My W/P 7's were sometimes a little bright, especially on poorly recorded material. I had never liked Wilson speakers up until the Sophia's came out. That to me was a turning point in Wilson speakers. The Sophia, W/P 7 and MAXX were a lot better than previous generations of Wilsons.
The silk dome tweeter of the Alexia and XLF is a whole different sound for Wilson, which I feel is the better.

I felt the weak point of the Wilson speakers was the titanium tweeter. I know a lot of other people hated it as well. My W/P 7's were sometimes a little bright, especially on poorly recorded material. I had never liked Wilson speakers up until the Sophia's came out. That to me was a turning point in Wilson speakers. The Sophia, W/P 7 and MAXX were a lot better than previous generations of Wilsons.
The silk dome tweeter of the Alexia and XLF is a whole different sound for Wilson, which I feel is the better.

The Wilson saga: make expensive speakers for a few decades, and eventually you will get it right.

The Wilson saga: make expensive speakers for a few decades, and eventually you will get it right.

Now that was a snarky comment.

-- I'm going to speak my mind here: I hate Wilson speaker's designs. :b
Personally I thought the choice of Bruces' speaker was going to be the result of a WBF poll.
I suspected Wilson Audio but I was not sure of the model. I would have voted...

Then why don't you start your own "I Hate Wilson Audio Speaker Designs" thread instead of raining on Bruce's parade??

What part... these designs can be found in other manufacturers speakers as well... look at the W/P vs. Joseph Audio Pearl or the Eficion f300. I'm sure there are others.

Is it purely esthetic for you Bob or does something else bother you?

What part... these designs can be found in other manufacturers speakers as well... look at the W/P vs. Joseph Audio Pearl or the Eficion f300. I'm sure there are others.

Then why don't you start your own "I Hate Wilson Audio Speaker Designs" thread instead of raining on Bruce's parade??

It's Bob. Take his comment FWIW.

Bruce, I simply don't like their squarish box designs*. For me they are very ugly.
And yes you're right, many other manufacturers are designing similar ugly speakers.

And yes, it is purely aesthetic. ...Of course, because I've never heard them in my room.
And I wouldn't either because I just can't stand their looks.

I know which speaker's designs I like, and that's me.

Bruce, this is a totally innocent remark, it has nothing to do with anything else than just looks.
You have my greatest respect, and I look forward to your impressions, on the SOUND. :b

* Not just your model, but all Wilson models. ...And of course all other speakers that are copied from them designs. ...But the Josephs have more rounded curves. ...And their wood cabinets are beautiful. ...I love Italian design speakers.

While decidedly "whitebread"Dave can sell a speaker.

Bruce, I simply don't like their squarish box designs*. For me they are very ugly.
And yes you're right, many other manufacturers are designing similar ugly speakers.

And yes, it is purely aesthetic. ...Of course, because I've never heard them in my room.
And I wouldn't either because I just can't stand their looks.

I know which speaker's designs I like, and that's me.

Bruce, this is a totally innocent remark, it has nothing to do with anything else than just looks.
You have my greatest respect, and I look forward to your impressions, on the SOUND. :b

* Not just your model, but all Wilson models. ...And of course all other speakers that are copied from them designs. ...But the Josephs have more rounded curves. ...And their wood cabinets are beautiful.

NorthStar do you listen with your eyes? If so you are fodder for designers of expensive speakers with fancy cabinets and off the shelf drivers. A "lifestyle" buyer.

NorthStar do you listen with your eyes? If so you are fodder for designers of expensive speakers with fancy cabinets and off the shelf drivers. A "lifestyle" buyer.

What's wrong with expressing one's opinions of a speaker's (or any component, for that matter) looks?? Wilsons are pretty ugly to my eyes (though not my ears) as well; it has nothing to do with how they sound, although it might well affect one's eventual purchase decision. And as mentioned, Wilsons are hardly the only unattractive speakers out there.

I think you are looking from a biased perspective. Every speaker brand is continuously being upgraded - there is a real evolution in speaker design and Wilson just followed the trend of the industry. I think that this trend was only possible because there was also a general improvement in sources and electronics in the last few years. Modern tweeters, such as the XLF, Alexia, Aida or Amati Futura show a lot of detail, air and delicacy in the reproduction of the treble zone, but seem less tiring than previous designs. The use of these tweeters needed a general re-balance of the speaker - it was not just changing the tweeter. If it was not because of our exposition to the new better designs we would still very happy with old ones - they still sound great. But once you live for some time with something better it is difficult to come back.

As always system and room matching play a lot - Bruce decision must be considered as an whole decision. We can only hope that now that he is enjoying a lot his work does not become less exigent. There is school of thought that considers that sound pro's should not enjoy to much when working, it will distract them!

I really like their look, as I do all the Wilson speakers. For some reason, these remind me of Daleks. My Sophias have been described to me as looking like trash cans, but I think they're beautiful.

Bruce, I simply don't like their squarish box designs*.(...)

So you love the Aida's? The only squares are in the crossovers that are hidden inside! ;)

What's wrong with expressing one's opinions of a speaker's (or any component, for that matter) looks?? Wilsons are pretty ugly to my eyes (though not my ears) as well; it has nothing to do with how they sound, although it might well affect one's eventual purchase decision. And as mentioned, Wilsons are hardly the only unattractive speakers out there.

I concur.... the earlier Wilsons were fugly... especially the WAMM. The others were pretty boxy looking. I was looking at mine last night and the sides are actually beveled starting about where the woofer's dimensions differ. They are a lot better looking than the W/P 7's I had.

I think the MBL's are the most hideous looking speakers...... but they sure do sound awesome!

Andre, you can call me Bob; NorthStar is only my star.

I thought I made myself very clear, speaking of their design only (outside looks).

But it seems that some people don't accept my opinion on this (mind you not the first time in this vast audio ocean of the Internet); why can some of you not respect my own artistic taste? ...My personal criticism on the overall/outside looks?
Am I free to be polite in my opinion? Do I need to get hatred for it? ...Nah, I certainly not.

Andre, speakers like these are an integral part of your decor, and you're going to live with their looks, playing music or not. Me, I can't; they're just too ugly.

I think the Alexia's are the best looking Wilson speaker yet. I love how they look and am insanely envious of Bruce. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing