The Alexia's are HERE!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks for the link.

Did you notice that MC changed the value of the tweeter resistor?

Yeah.... noticed that he attenuated the tweeter. If I were going to change mine, I'd increase the level.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yeah.... noticed that he attenuated the tweeter. If I were going to change mine, I'd increase the level.

I do not think so - as far as I understood he increased the treble level by .5 dB, putting a shunt resistor in parallel with the tweeter series resistor.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I do not think so - as far as I understood he increased the treble level by .5 dB, putting a shunt resistor in parallel with the tweeter series resistor.

You are correct. I was reading this part.

"Since the low frequency range
is on average 3.5ohms and the treble, say, 7ohms,
the upper frequency range will now be a little bright
by comparison. A solution here might be to increase
the value of the tweeter adjustment/protection
resistor to compensate for the brightness, if found."

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Very technical review. Thanks for the link.

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
HiBruce, To answer my own question, I am assuming that the target level is 82.3 db. The blue line in your graph. Since you say that you have a dip at 62hz the reference line can not be 75 db. If that is correct then is not every freq too low? Andhow does that make you have a peak at 190hz. Also it would make your 1300hz dip 23.3db down. You are going to need a bigger equalizer.
Just wondering aloud.

Wendell

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The blue line is just an arbitrary line that the software puts there, not something I'm trying to attain. If I'm above or below the line, I can just turn up/down the volume.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The blue line is just an arbitrary line that the software puts there, not something I'm trying to attain. If I'm above or below the line, I can just turn up/down the volume.

I suspect it is some sort of weighted average across the spectrum.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Hi Bruce,
Arbitrary, based on choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.
Bob
PHP143

You know.... I don't know. I haven't read the manual on what it's there for. I assume that it's there when I do a level calibration on the mic.... but I don't know.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
You know.... I don't know. I haven't read the manual on what it's there for. I assume that it's there when I do a level calibration on the mic.... but I don't know.

Whatever the line represent, we can be fairly certain a software package does not draw arbitrary lines in a chart...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Whatever the line represent, we can be fairly certain a software package does not draw arbitrary lines in a chart...

This line is just an auxiliary line cursor - every time you click your mouse on the graph it will draw an horizontal and vertical thin blue line crossing at the cursor position. I do not know hot to make them disappear - when I want to get rid of them I move the cursor to right top where they are less noticed.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It will be interesting to see if Steve wants to try them in his new room.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Been listening to them for about an hour. I think I have a handle on it. If anyone has Wilsons on a hardwood floor, they are a must have. I don't know how they perform on carpet, but if this is any indication, it's a no-brainer!
All the difference I hear is from about 500Hz and down. I can't tell any difference above that. What I can tell you it sounds like the speaker is more coherent, acting as one. The bass.... oh the bass. The bass is more solid with tighter transients. It also feels like the bass driver has moved forward in the sound field.... now like I said, more integrated with the upper drivers. Not that I had a complaint before, but it gives the last 1% difference. Also like kick drum, sound like it's higher off the floor. You can clearly hear different elements of the bass. Kick drum, bass guitar, toms have their own space now. Each bass note/tone is more clearly delineated.
I'd say it gave the Alexia's about a 3-4% advantage if I had to put it on a scale.
I've used other footers and sometimes I thought it sounded better, maybe not, but with these, there is clearly a difference that you can hear AND feel.

Stillpoints3.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks, Bruce. I'm not all surprised.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Another thing I forgot to mention. Even at low levels, it feels like the bass is louder... almost like a bass contour tone control. I know some speakers when you turn them down low, they lose the bass and treble. The speakers are as coherent at low level as they are at fff

I'd like to thank Craig and Gary from Definitive Audio. They have bent over backwards supporting this new setup and will be coming over again soon to dial them in even further. That's what I call customer service!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing