The Air Force and the Dragon - Mon, 19th Nov 2012

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Gary, you must be super human, your travel and work schedule would kill me in a week.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, you must be super human, your travel and work schedule would kill me in a week.

Tell me about it!! I was just talking to my sister that these couple of months have been crazy. In between everything I've also got to listen to music to pick my demos for CES! Now you know why I haven't been participating in some of the interesting discussions on WBF.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Minimum footprint for setting-up is 600mm (W) x 450mm (D)

However, you need to add 430mm x 232mm for the power supply unit and 260mm x 230mm for the air condenser unit. This is the first vacuum table with a pump I couldn't hear, so no problem having the air unit on the rack.

That fits my CMS Platinum exactly. Oh no! Good thing I don't have the scratch at the moment! LOL!!!!!!!!

Knock 'em dead Gary, wish I could have been there. HK is near enough for me to go on a whim but alas I'm not home now.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Your wife wouldn't let you go anyway.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You're a mean man. Now I have to go back to cringing.

Carl-I'm still trying to figure out if your wife truly tells you what you can and can't do or if you use her as a buffer for things you don't really want to do like hang with us at RMAF.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Carl-I'm still trying to figure out if your wife truly tells you what you can and can't do or if you use her as a buffer for things you don't really want to do like hang with us at RMAF.

When I was working, or we were both working, it was actually much easier to reserve time away. When I sold my business last year to "retire", whatever that means, we spend all of our time together now. I actually have to give her central planning gene an enormous amount of leeway to get away. She actually WANTS me around all the time for whatever entertainment value I provide. I WANT to make excursions without her necessarily being present i.e. backpacking, skiing etc.

Part of it is also I just enjoy being lazy and irresponsible for the past year. I will probably go back to work in some capacity in a year or two, but I am in no rush.

You are right, though, she is probably an excuse for my laziness as much as anything.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
When I was working, or we were both working, it was actually much easier to reserve time away. When I sold my business last year to "retire", whatever that means, we spend all of our time together now. I actually have to give her central planning gene an enormous amount of leeway to get away. She actually WANTS me around all the time for whatever entertainment value I provide. I WANT to make excursions without her necessarily being present i.e. backpacking, skiing etc.

Part of it is also I just enjoy being lazy and irresponsible for the past year. I will probably go back to work in some capacity in a year or two, but I am in no rush.

You are right, though, she is probably an excuse for my laziness as much as anything.

I'm still trying to read between the lines Carl. I have known numerous people who have retired only to find out their wives couldn't stand them and they ended up getting divorced. If your wife truly doesn't want you out of her sight, I guess that is good and bad. Good because she loves you and wants you to be around, and bad because, well, she always wants you around. It reminds me of that Rolling Stones song "Under My Thumb." We all need our space, or at least I think so. I just see so many guys use their wives as excuses on why they can't do something or why they have to sell their dream stereo gear it makes me wonder what percentage of the excuses are real vice using a convenient scapegoat. And once again for those who don't know or just wonder, I have only been married once and I'm currently doing 34 to life.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Since I have never been retired before and never been this old before, I guess you would call it "working out the kinks". I suspect we will both become more independent again as time goes on. Either way, after 38 years of banging my head against a professional, workaday world beset by sundry built in stresses, its all good at the moment.

32 to lifer, unless she figures out a good way to dispose of the body.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
incredible table Gary, "the sky is the limit" applies perfectly here! :)

I'll probably hear more about how it was designed next week (I'll report) but from what I've already been told, it's a lifetime of experience that has gone into that table. It really has to be heard to be believed. Admittedly, when I first saw it, I didn't believe it would be good (I'm a Roksan/Linn fan) but it handily surpassed my expectations.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Thanks, Gary, "only" 32 in the marriage, 38 in the profession.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Carl, you and you wife have my admiration. After 38 years together and you still want to spend all your time together. I hope that I can still say that 27 years from now :)

You can work with your sister. You can stay married.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Gary, you've gotta buy one of these tables!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
You can work with your sister. You can stay married.

Actually, working with my sister is great. We had already worked out our differences by the time we were in our teens, and now we can trust each other and there's an implicit understand even when she tells me things I don't want to hear.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sisters are great. My twin-sister is my best friend, even though we live 2,000 miles apart. Going to see her in July of next year when we both hit the big 60! She doesn't know it, so it'll be a wonderful surprise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing