Tesla Model Y performance

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I was under the impression that upwards of 90% of EV charging is done at home. If I had one without a doubt I would install 220V. We are still in the early stages of EVs. I'm sure the nation-wide infrastructure will continue to improve.
where will the additional power grid kilowatts come from in northern climates?

coal? natural gas? nuclear? who will build the charging network? who will pay for it? how will we dispose of all the batteries?

the math does not work as far as execution or improving the climate. just too expensive.

20 years from now hydrogen based fuel cells are much more likely to be trending up and up, than over 75% EV's. there are some challenges, but much less in the big picture. Honda, Toyota and GM have all done considerable research with fuel cells. Honda and Toyota have retail leased fuel cell cars. the end game makes more sense as an ICE alternative. but much work would need to get done to launch it.

djsina2

May 30, 2019

coal? natural gas? nuclear? who will build the charging network? who will pay for it? how will we dispose of all the batteries?

the math does not work as far as execution or improving the climate. just too expensive.

20 years from now hydrogen based fuel cells are much more likely to be trending up and up, than over 75% EV's. there are some challenges, but much less in the big picture. Honda, Toyota and GM have all done considerable research with fuel cells. Honda and Toyota have retail leased fuel cell cars. the end game makes more sense as an ICE alternative. but much work would need to get done to launch it.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I don't believe we have to have only 1 solution for automobiles. If hydrogen based fuel cells become a viable solution than great.

I also believe in modern technology. We will see advancements in power plants of all kinds. I believe we will see new and additional power sources. Current power plants will have to transform because we use more power today then we did in the 19th and 20th century.

The same place it will come from in all climates. We need new and updated sources of power. In the NE I would think Natural Gas would be one of the primary source but clearly I have no idea. I believe Pennsylvania produces a lot of natural gas.

Regarding who will build and pay for it. The simple answer is you and me. The federal/state/local governments gives tax incentives to companies. They always have and always will.

Is it expensive, yes it is. Is it too expensive, I say no but everyone has an opinion.

Just my thoughts....

Last edited:

ErVikingo

Feb 6, 2024
Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA
I have never owned or even considered an EV. I am searching for a replacement for my lease which ends in a few months and all the European Cars I have owned previously have gone up in price by a lot.
I see a lot of Tesla's in my area and was looking for some practical knowledge based on owners experience with this vehicle.
If you own one I would like to here what you experience has been as far as service, charging availability, reliability and of course driving one.
Thanks
Elliot here in our "954" they are dime a dozen. I live in a small subdivision "West" of your shop and out of 51 homes there are at least 35 Tesla products. We opted for an Audi eTron SUV which has now been updated to a Q8 eTron. Fantastic car, no issues at all ever. The new one has enough juice to get us to Orlando without having to stop for a charge. Dealer (Audi of PP) was pretty aggressive on the deal.

Have not tried the smaller Q4 or the new Q6 etrons.

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
The lithium batteries installed in EVs are prone to combust if exposed to saltwater. This may seem like an EV nit pick, but having lived in coastal south Florida it is a legitimate concern in the event of storm surge from a hurricane. In addition to combustion the resultant fires burn at temperatures approaching 5000 degrees Fahrenheit- more than three times the temperature of a typical engine/car fire. An EV, Tesla or other brand, stored in a garage unattended could burn your house down, under these condition.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Hate to tell you but as a trial lawyer, I was involved in a case where a pick up truck ICE variety did just that. But Nevermind.

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
Hate to tell you but as a trial lawyer, I was involved in a case where a pick up truck ICE variety did just that. But Nevermind.
Perhaps it had a lithium battery? It certainly didn’t have the undercarriage entirely covered by an enormous one. Do your homework and run this by some coastal Florida fire departments and see if what I’m saying has any validity.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
No, this was in the 1980’s. A lithium battery had nothing to do with it. It was not my only ICE vehicle fire case.you do know that gas cars catch fire every day?

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
The lithium batteries installed in EVs are prone to combust if exposed to saltwater. This may seem like an EV nit pick, but having lived in coastal south Florida it is a legitimate concern in the event of storm surge from a hurricane. In addition to combustion the resultant fires burn at temperatures approaching 5000 degrees Fahrenheit- more than three times the temperature of a typical engine/car fire. An EV, Tesla or other brand, stored in a garage unattended could burn your house down, under these condition.
WOW these are some pretty extreme situations. Let's hope that when a hurricane is approaching you are leaving to higher ground.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I thank all for their opinion however I have decided to not get involved with Tesla or an EV.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
maybe just a 'correction'......the question will be how many other manufacturers will(have) dial(ed) down their efforts too.....

The EV slowdown Tesla has felt of late has been widespread. China’s BYD Co. delivered just 300,114 battery-electric vehicles in the first quarter, down 43% from the final three months of last year, when it briefly pulled ahead as the world’s top EV seller. Manufacturers including Volkswagen AG, General Motors Co. and Ford Motor Co. have delayed, dialed back or altogether scrapped EV projects as consumers balk at still-high prices and a dearth of charging stations.

reality cannot be denied. cost and uncertainty are huge obstacles. and we have not even really got to solving the infrastructure challenges. is there political will to 'buy' a different result? or is this more than a correction?

tesla-to-cut-over-10-of-workforce-as-ev-demand-cools

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing