Tesla Model 3 | Tesla seeks $1.5 billion junk bonds issue to fund Model 3 production

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
reality rears it's ugly head.

And even as the company is making plans for a factory in China and possibly more plants in the United States, some analysts are questioning Tesla’s overall competence in the intricate processes of mass vehicle production.

One analyst, Clement Thibault of Investing.com, said Wednesday that Tesla’s vertically integrated manufacturing system — which includes building many of its own major components, like batteries and seats — is out of step with tried-and-true industry practices.

There’s a reason traditional car companies have an established decentralized business model,” Thibault said. “Tesla believes it can centralize the process, but lacks any real world evidence to back up its claim.”
Since it began production in late summer, Tesla has sold the new Model 3 only to its employees, rather than begin filling the hundreds of thousands of orders from buyers who have put down $1,000 deposits.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Unsurprisingly to me, the auto manufacturers with decades of experience seem to be doing much better... I can't fathom waiting on a Tesla 3 when I could get a Chevy or Nissan EV instead. I hope Tesla gets their $hit together in time to pull it off but reading some of the blogs/comments by Tesla employees the corporate culture doesn't seem all that healthy either which is going to be a huge problem.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Unsurprisingly to me, the auto manufacturers with decades of experience seem to be doing much better... I can't fathom waiting on a Tesla 3 when I could get a Chevy or Nissan EV instead. I hope Tesla gets their $hit together in time to pull it off but reading some of the blogs/comments by Tesla employees the corporate culture doesn't seem all that healthy either which is going to be a huge problem.

if I were a betting man, it's 50/50 whether Tesla will survive independently on this path. there is sufficient value in the brand and product that it's most likely that they will be absorbed by some larger entity that can step in and fix their lack of manufacturing expertise, and the distribution issues they will likely have trying to go mass market.

Tesla the product will survive, but the phenomenon of Musk-in-your-face Tesla is teetering on being not long for this world.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

If Tesla products were the issue, there would not be a 500K model 3 back-order on the books. It's a great product. Love it every time I take a drive.

Steve N.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Mike is right; the Model 3 is a projected mirage right now...it is not happening.
The investors on Wall Street are losing patience, the stock is starting to get dumped, and Tesla lost big time today, down now 6%, and Elon Musk is frustrated, and starts blaming the journalists.

I'm sorry mister Musk but the journalists they just do their job of reporting the number facts, just like you do yours of boosting your predictions with vapor ware, borrowed money from others.
The SHAME is not on others, but on you and you only. And that's a fact.

?https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-just-yelled-shame-at-a-bunch-of-journalists-1820059349

___

° https://www.greencarreports.com/new...volume-production-delayed-q3-results-and-call

'Revenge of the Electric Car' premiere: Elon Musk arrives in a Tesla Roadster

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
If Tesla products were the issue, there would not be a 500K model 3 back-order on the books. It's a great product. Love it every time I take a drive.

Steve N.

I never said their products were the issue, although there are a lot of people with long lists of small issues with Tesla S and X models.

The problem is manufacturing, and it seems like Musk is trying to reinvent the wheel to some degree rather than following tried and true methods. There's plenty of info posted directly from Tesla employees on the subject. He chose to take deposits on the 3, painting himself into a corner when things didn't go as planned. Musk seems like he's making a lot of amateur mistakes, thinking he can do a better job (w/production) vs the established companies and over-promising. These are red flags to me, an indication of someone with a large ego and not enough wisdom and experience to know what's actually needed in reality to get things done.

I'm not anti-Tesla although I do have some issues with it. I don't think EV tech is to the point it should be sold to the masses, but it might be a necessary stepping-stone, idk. Maybe it's for the best but so far I see it as immature technology with lies told to make it seem much better than it really is.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I never said their products were the issue, although there are a lot of people with long lists of small issues with Tesla S and X models.

The problem is manufacturing, and it seems like Musk is trying to reinvent the wheel to some degree rather than following tried and true methods. There's plenty of info posted directly from Tesla employees on the subject. He chose to take deposits on the 3, painting himself into a corner when things didn't go as planned. Musk seems like he's making a lot of amateur mistakes, thinking he can do a better job (w/production) vs the established companies and over-promising. These are red flags to me, an indication of someone with a large ego and not enough wisdom and experience to know what's actually needed in reality to get things done.

I'm not anti-Tesla although I do have some issues with it. I don't think EV tech is to the point it should be sold to the masses, but it might be a necessary stepping-stone, idk. Maybe it's for the best but so far I see it as immature technology with lies told to make it seem much better than it really is.

I've lost count of the number of times in my computer career that I heard engineers make commitments to get things done in 1/2 the time that it will actually take, and managers that push them to commit to schedules that are even 20% shorter than that. It's the nature of the beast. Elon needs to get realistic with his predictions and expectations. He also needs to hire better people and pay them more. He should be stealing management from GM and Ford.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Why is EV technology not ready for the masses? Your laptop and cell-phone work all day on a LI battery. They charge at home. On the road, they can be charged at hotels.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

You can always get a Model S or X now. Other manufacturers EV like Chevy or Nissan are jokes. Range and performance Tesla cars are way ahead of other EV manufacturers.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

I am sick of hearing this. Tell me which car manufacturers don’t have customers complaints. My last car Porsche gave me more troubles than my Model S. Porsche pressure fuel pumps failed twice during high way driving. So dangerous!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
And people living in condominiums and driving electric cars they need electric car recharging stations to plug their cars in from their parking spots. It is a problem right now. One lady in Ottawa had her power cut off by the condo managers:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/condo-electric-car-hydro-ottawa-1.4226606

Ok hers is a hybrid, so she's not 100% green.

In Hong Kong, most people live in condo. And Hong Kong has the highest density of Tesla in the world. The condo mangement allow owners to install charge station in their car parks.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

I’m not surprised the stock price crashes today. I think it has some way to go south. Maybe it will stop at $200. As I mentioned before, current stock price is built on the promoise of Model 3 production projection numbers. Investors finally wake up. Even for a high growth stock, stock price is still need to be backed up by fundamental.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I’m not surprised the stock price crashes today. I think it has some way to go south. Maybe it will stop at $200. As I mentioned before, current stock price is built on the promoise of Model 3 production projection numbers. Investors finally wake up. Even for a high growth stock, stock price is still need to be backed up by fundamental.

If I see $200, I'm buying more.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
In Hong Kong, most people live in condo. And Hong Kong has the highest density of Tesla in the world. The condo mangement allow owners to install charge station in their car parks.

This is exactly what we need in Canada. That link of that article I just posted is a good indicator on how prehistoric ages some condo managers live in. It is a national issue, that lady needs her government's support.

Those electric outlets suck way more juice when plugging your car during the several cold months of winter, back east.
And yet there is no problem; of course not or everyone would end up with a dead car.
It is not only ironic and dramatic, it also tells the hypocrisy of a government preaching a greener country.

Sometimes I just feel to move to Hong Kong, Japan.
But I prefer the suburbs, the country side, the mountains side, the ocean side, the cleaner side, without the nuclear reactors still spilling in the Pacific Ocean.

In cities like Tokyo and Hong Kong and from any other world's major cities, I like public transportation...electric buses and métros.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
As much as I love my Tesla Model S, I can’t bear to buy Tesla stock. There are many tech stocks to provide with good return and less volatility.

Like Netflix? How about that P/E ratio?

I've made money in the past on Tesla and I'll make even more in the future. They are looking like the answer that enables renewable energy storage.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing