WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
TDPUCK.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not yet clear if what I have is distributor or MSRP. There will be a new cartridge launched at IASJ Tokyo as well. No info on that or the AF2 yet. I'll snap some shots for you guys when I get there. There's also a platter dust cover if you find the gigantic dust cover a hassle. Those can be had now. They don't cost much.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Not yet clear if what I have is distributor or MSRP. There will be a new cartridge launched at IASJ Tokyo as well. No info on that or the AF2 yet. I'll snap some shots for you guys when I get there. There's also a platter dust cover if you find the gigantic dust cover a hassle. Those can be had now. They don't cost much.

when you get a sample, I would be curious on how it compares to the Stillpoints LP1. Hopefully it is near that price point. A man has to know his limitations...I hope it is not a multi thousand $$ puck like a few out there, which I find somewhat ludicrous...:rolleyes:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think I need glasses! I got it! I had it all along. MSRP is about $700. :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I think I need glasses! I got it! I had it all along. MSRP is about $700. :)

Okay, that sounds reasonable to me, given the skin already in the game. When you get one, borrow an LP1 and see what sounds best. I have tried the LP1, but have more recently been using no puck, but will try it again.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I haven't tried an LP1 but my buddy is the Stillpoints distributor here. Maybe he has one I can borrow. I'm not much of a clamp guy myself the last few years.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I haven't tried an LP1 but my buddy is the Stillpoints distributor here. Maybe he has one I can borrow. I'm not much of a clamp guy myself the last few years.

If Nishakawa-san says it improves the sound w/o taking away the bass extension, I'm interested. I will have to check with Bob Graham to see if he knows about this puck yet...

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Does it just slide over the spindle or does it screw down?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Why would the AF1 need a record weight when it is vacuum hold or is this primarily for other tables?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
It certainly does not need a screw clamp with vacuum hold down. It's about record resonance control.

Hmmm. Have you tried the AP1 with LP1 and without vacuum hold?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
It certainly does not need a screw clamp with vacuum hold down. It's about record resonance control.

I was thinking of it for my SME. The clamp screws down to flatten the record. The weights that just drop over the spindle don't work for me.

I would think the clamp was developed for rest of world players. Why would you need it for the AF1?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I was thinking of it for my SME. The clamp screws down to flatten the record. The weights that just drop over the spindle don't work for me.

I would think the clamp was developed for rest of world players. Why would you need it for the AF1?

a clamp is not needed. It sucks flat the most dished 200 gram Classic Records single sided 45's w/o issue. Whether additional resonant damping control via a drop on puck is better than without is yet to be determined. I will try my LP1 in the near future to better ascertain the sound difference with and w/o the LP1.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've been wondering about how it might help the AF1 myself. You can tap on the label while playing and not hear a thing through speakers. Gotta give it a go though. I'm a TechDAS dealer. If someone wants one, I gotta have one.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

If that the case, would like to hear a shoot out between the TechDas, HIFI Tuning, Stillpoints and Durand clamps :) Of course, I wouldn't be shocked if the results were turntable dependent.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'd like to see vacuum hold down compared to record weights too.

my sense is that the Durand record weight would have a superior effect on overall performance compared to vacuum on most (not all) records based on my experience with the Rockport vacuum verses non vacuum tables in my system.....where the performance difference/advantage with vacuum was minimal if any. the Durand record weight has an obviously more consistently clear rise in performance than my sense of vacuum. obviously my experience was purely anecdotal and based on my memory and not scientific since it was impossible to compare the Rockport with vacuum to the Rockport without vacuum. whereas the Tech Das can be configured both ways.

I don't expect that this experiment would ever see the light of day, but if it did I would be curious.

and to be clear my conjecture is only that; a wild ass guess based on my experience. i simply find that the Durand record weight is essential to optimal performance (in my particular system to my ears) now that I've used it for almost a year. I've loaned it to a number of friends who have used it on their different tt's and had the same perception (with possible variance in degrees) as myself.

i'd enjoy trying the new TechDAS weight sometime to compare. obviously with the TechDAS at $700-$800 verses the Durand at $3500 the value equation for users is different.

Last edited:

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
i'd like to see vacuum hold down compared to record weights too.

my sense is that the Durand record weight would have a superior effect on overall performance compared to vacuum on most (not all) records based on my experience with the Rockport vacuum verses non vacuum tables in my system.....where the performance difference/advantage with vacuum was minimal if any. the Durand record weight has an obviously more consistently clear rise in performance than my sense of vacuum. obviously my experience was purely anecdotal and based on my memory and not scientific since it was impossible to compare the Rockport with vacuum to the Rockport without vacuum. whereas the Tech Das can be configured both ways.

I don't expect that this experiment would ever see the light of day, but if it did I would be curious.

and to be clear my conjecture is only that; a wild ass guess based on my experience. i simply find that the Durand record weight is essential to optimal performance (in my particular system to my ears) now that I've used it for almost a year. I've loaned it to a number of friends who have used it on their different tt's and had the same perception (with possible variance in degrees) as myself.

i'd enjoy trying the new TechDAS weight sometime to compare. obviously with the TechDAS at $700-$800 verses the Durand at $3500 the value equation for users is different.

In my experience a lot of records aren't truly perfectly flat. I would think better coupling to the platter is a benefit; be it vacuum, periphery ring clamp (with center weight), etc. Just conjecture on my part, I have not done testing with hold down systems, all my turntables have only had center clamps.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
In my experience a lot of records aren't truly perfectly flat. I would think better coupling to the platter is a benefit; be it vacuum, periphery ring clamp (with center weight), etc. Just conjecture on my part, I have not done testing with hold down systems, all my turntables have only had center clamps.

personally I had assumed that vacuum hold down was a superior approach. but then I compared other tt's without it to the Rockport and clearly it was not that simple. every vacuum hold down system has some sort of flexible gasket material which dampens while providing the air seal. this process can deaden the sound compared to other approaches. any approach has trade-offs. most all record weights and clamps also have their limitations. how to hold the record steady for speed accuracy and keep it solid enough to the platter, yet not dampen out information or change the tonality. it is important to not have the record slide and cause smearing or added resonance. then there are record mats, periphery clamps, that can be part of the equation.

my perception has been that clamps, weights, and vacuum hold down approaches seem to affect the 'life' and 'focus' of the music.

is the record being as flat as possible more important than other issues? it a question I don't have a certain answer to. but my guess is 'no' based on my experience.

i'll use the analogy of the grip of your hands on a putter in golf. it is important to have a firm grip but you also need to have a 'feel' for the putter and not grip too firmly to have control. otherwise you will 'stab' at the ball. it's something that must be felt and is not an exact thing. so the record surface and stylus in the groove. when you hear it right it's right. it's a matter of both parts locking in and the music coming forth freely. at least that is my viewpoint.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing