Steve Jobs has passed away

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Just like to add my respects. I was never into Steve Jobs or Apple, just was glad that there was something other than Unix to counter the evil empire (sorry Amir!). Over the last day there have been a lot of retrospectives on him and his thinking down here, and I now appreciate the angle that he was coming from. Especially the speech at Stanford: as people have said, highly inspiring, and to the point. We need more of that type of thinking around!

Frank

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

iSteve

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
You'll be disappointed, then. Behind its GUI, Mac OS X is UNIX. :)
Is now, yes, but back then it was a completely original product. There was a very major effort over some years to port the whole kit and kaboodle across to Unix, in part because the big flaw with the original OS was that it didn't have true multi-tasking. My all-time hero of the computing world was the Commodore Amiga, which was so far ahead of its time when it came out. Ruined, unfortunately, by opportunistic management ...

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing